Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great post vanOert, I'd really like to try this.
However the pics are missing from the second post. Can you or someone else help me through the "add activity" step in Harmony software to configure Harmony One for XBMC?

Thanks!
I have been trying to get my Logitech Harmony 900 remote to work with my htpc/xbmc setup and have followed both sets of setup instructions - Can't get it to work.

I am using:

'DELL J4462 RC6 Receiver' (http://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-Receiver-O...365&sr=1-4)

Logitech Harmony 900

(HTPC Dedicated) Dell Inspiron M1330 Laptop running latest version (dl'd and installed XBMC in the last week) - Running Windows Vista

I followed these instructions: - Seems that very few people are using the Harmony 900

Added the devices:
1) Select: Computer – Media Center PC – Microsoft – “Windows Media Center SE” (renamed to 'XBMC (sw)')
(I also tried this action with just "Windows Media Center" without the SE - didn't matter)

2) Select: Computer – Media Center PC – Microsoft – “MCE Keyboard” (Echo'ed the name)

***Created the activity:

Added XBMC (sw) and MCE Keyboard to the devices in use for 'Activity; XBMC' (as well as the Denon Receiver and LG TV)

For the XBMC and MCE Keyboard, I elected the option that they do not require input selection. Other than that everything in this step is straight forward.

***Customized the buttons on the remote:

Per the instructions - mostly everything relies on the MCE Keyboard

***Updated the remote:

***Launched XBMC:

Doesn't work - nothing happens when I press the buttons. I can follow instructions pretty darn well - just to prove i'm not stupid, I set up the Denon with all my devices running through via HDMI and performed the sound tests and everything. Even rocking the RF/IR Blasters to all components.

As a last ditch, I tried selecting the individual devices (on the Harmony 900 Remote touchscreen) while in the XBMC Activity. Button pushing still does nothing.

In case you may ask:

Yes, the remote has the battery in it and works fantastic (most of the time)
Yes, it is in line of sight the to IR Receiver
Yes, the IR Receiver is plugged in and the other devices (TV, Receiver, laptop) are all on

I've read most of the threads on this topic and it seems almost no one had the 'nothing happens' problem, please help.
I think the Dell receiver uses the eHome driver. Look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows to check the eHome driver is present. If so the Harmony just needs to emulate a Microsoft handset/keyboard.

JR
Hey, totally appreciate the feedback and response.

See the picture, it doesn't seem to be the issue per the wiki.

I went ahead and ordered a Plug-and-Play Chinavision IR+Remote because the definition of insanity is "performing the same action over and over expecting a different result" a la re-programming the harmony remote using the same steps.

Maybe this is a situation where we warn people about getting the Dell IR Receiver even though it is RC6 compatible - it doesn't work with the Harmony 900.
I would guess the Dell receiver is bust, because Vista should detect it and install the eHome drivers automatically.

The Chinavision receiver wouldn't have been by first choice. I would return the Dell receiver and ask for a replacement, or look for another eHome receiver. Failing that I've used an ORtek VRC-1100 receiver with the harmony and that works well.

JR
Yep, you're right Chinavision sucks too.

Might be Boxee time.

G
gkordo Wrote:Yep, you're right Chinavision sucks too.

Well that's pretty much what http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_remote says if you read between the lines.

gkordo Wrote:Might be Boxee time.

You're going to abandon XBMC because someone sold you a broken Dell receiver, or did you just mean you're going to use the Boxee remote?

JR
No I'm not buying a Boxee, I was just kidding. That doesn't make much sense since you still need to have a computer to run the thing which I find ridiculous considering you can buy a basic computer for the price.

I found this great resource talking about how to manually 'teach' the Harmony 900 all of the buttons on the Chinavision, now it works fine.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...light/true

If you absolutely must have ALL of the MCE Keyboard functionality, the Chinavision is probably a bad fit, however, the only thing I'm really missing is the 1-button press for the 2 menu options in XBMC, i'll still need the keyboard or mouse for that.

That said, I can 1-button press start XBMC, exit XBMC, and navigate just fine. If all else fails, I have the wireless mouse closeby. I can even do a couple more things like launch particular file folders, manage files, move and R/L click the mouse, and switch between open windows.

Finally thought:
It's adequate, most of us have to manually boot and shut down the computer anyways (unless you leave it on), so whats one more thing?

All the best,

G
hi

thanks for the best thread I can find on the net

im new to xbmc, but I have everything running, including my sabnzbd + sickbeard setup into xbmc. works like a charm, im so impressed with xbmc.

to date I have been using a mouse and a keyboard, but that isnt the best.

i live in cape town, south africa, so we dont have ebay... and if we do order it might not even arrive lol Sad

i bought one of these to get my hands on the IR. It looks like the right one? it has all the windows logos on so yeah....

wanna use this remote, which is all I need really. Only have a TV, HTPC and satellite

Id like to confirm that this IR will work? before I open the packaging then they wont take it back...

good job to all and thank you for the help
techead Wrote:hi

thanks for the best thread I can find on the net

im new to xbmc, but I have everything running, including my sabnzbd + sickbeard setup into xbmc. works like a charm, im so impressed with xbmc.

to date I have been using a mouse and a keyboard, but that isnt the best.

i live in cape town, south africa, so we dont have ebay... and if we do order it might not even arrive lol Sad

i bought one of these to get my hands on the IR. It looks like the right one? it has all the windows logos on so yeah....

wanna use this remote, which is all I need really. Only have a TV, HTPC and satellite

Id like to confirm that this IR will work? before I open the packaging then they wont take it back...

good job to all and thank you for the help

The receiver is an RC6 receiver, so it should work fine. The remote is not a good choice. Harmony 300 is very limited, it's better to get the next model up: the 600 (monochrome LCD) or 650 (color LCD).
I have a Harmony 300 and I'm very pleased with it. But, it's a poor choice for eHome receivers as the key response is very slow. For example if you press the down arrow rapidly you'll find the selection moves slowly and keeps moving after you've stopped pressing the down arrow, while it deals with the backlog of button presses. I use my harmony with the receiver from an ORtek VRC-1100 (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...s#VRC-1100).

If the K300 receiver is indeed an eHome receiver see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for info on configuring it.

JR
bodhi Wrote:The receiver is an RC6 receiver, so it should work fine. The remote is not a good choice. Harmony 300 is very limited, it's better to get the next model up: the 600 (monochrome LCD) or 650 (color LCD).

how can it be limited?

I have such min requirements Smile As long as it doesnt lag Im happy...

thanks for the reply
jhsrennie Wrote:I have a Harmony 300 and I'm very pleased with it. But, it's a poor choice for eHome receivers as the key response is very slow. For example if you press the down arrow rapidly you'll find the selection moves slowly and keeps moving after you've stopped pressing the down arrow, while it deals with the backlog of button presses. I use my harmony with the receiver from an ORtek VRC-1100 (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...s#VRC-1100).

If the K300 receiver is indeed an eHome receiver see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for info on configuring it.

JR

it would appear that the K300 receiver will work for what I want it to do.

the guide is for Microsoft remote setup, but I assume this is generic when as the receiver simply needs to be that RC6 type?
techead Wrote:the guide is for Microsoft remote setup, but I assume this is generic when as the receiver simply needs to be that RC6 type?

The guide applies to any remote that uses the eHome driver. I think the K300 uses the eHome driver so everything in that guide applies.

The Harmony 300 is a bit limited, but it's still an excellent remote. For example, the slow response from eHome receivers is down to a setting called the inter-key delay. In the more expensive Harmony handsets you can reduce this delay and get a better response. With the 300 the delay can't be changed. Still, I'm very pleased with my 300.

JR
techead Wrote:how can it be limited?

I have such min requirements Smile As long as it doesnt lag Im happy...

thanks for the reply

Harmony remote is activity-based (the way Harmony remote software intended to be used). You would create an activity for each usage. For example, "Watch TV", "Watch Movies", or "Listening to Music". Each activity is composed of many steps in a sequence. Each device in an activity is turned on/off and its input is selected automatically. This works well even with a Home Theater setup that has only 2 devices (i.e. a cable box and a TV). This works better with more and more devices in a setup.

Harmony 300 provides only 1 activity (even though it supports 4 devices). Harmony 600 and above allow you to create many activities (there is a limit of 256, I believe).

To use a Harmony remote the way it's intended, you would never go into Devices mode. Only use activities to control the Home Theater. Devices should be set up and then forgotten :-) unless you want to control each device manually (like using multiple remotes manually).

Harmony 600 or 650 remotes prices are low enough that it's worth spending a little more to make it more pleasant to use and allow for future growth, even your requirement is minimal. Harmony 300 is Logitech's answer to users who only have a cable box and a TV. If you have XBMC, then it is obvious your requirement has exceeded the Harmony 300 capability :-) In your setup, you would have 3 activities; "Watch TV", "XBMC", and "Watch Satellite TV" (it's possible that you'd want to watch TV with OTA antenna?).

@JR: I guess you've only used the Harmony 300 devices mode to control each device? I'm sure you would be even happier with activities. I've been using many different types of remotes, and IMO the activity or macro capability just makes home theater enjoyment much more enjoyable :-)