Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No HDMI output in xbmc live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have an Aspire Revo with XBMC Live running on it. Currently connected via VGA, since there is no HDMI output at any stage - while booting or running. I can get an output when running Ubuntu from a USB drive, so it isn't the hardware, but there is nothing at all on HDMI output from XBMC Live. VGA works perfectly so not sure if there is just a driver that has been accidentally removed??

Any ideas what is required to make HDMI work (packages to check etc)?? I am a linux newbie (completely!) but have tried to delve into the command line a little to change the home to another partition, install dropbox/transmission etc so hopefully can follow your help!

Thanks!
markh86 Wrote:Hi,

I have an Aspire Revo with XBMC Live running on it. Currently connected via VGA, since there is no HDMI output at any stage - while booting or running. I can get an output when running Ubuntu from a USB drive, so it isn't the hardware, but there is nothing at all on HDMI output from XBMC Live. VGA works perfectly so not sure if there is just a driver that has been accidentally removed??

Any ideas what is required to make HDMI work (packages to check etc)?? I am a linux newbie (completely!) but have tried to delve into the command line a little to change the home to another partition, install dropbox/transmission etc so hopefully can follow your help!

Thanks!

Did you change the audio settings to change from analog to digital?
There is a life hacker article which mentions these changes
http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-si...-the-cheap
Thanks for your reply.
No, I did not make those changes. But surely the video would still be generated, even if using analog audio
For getting the video ouput to HDMI I had to change the render method to VDPAU actually.
Not sure will read up on it and let you know incase I find anything
Create a new file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and paste this into it:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        Option  "NoLogo"              "true"
        Option  "DynamicTwinView"     "false"
        Option  "NoFlip"              "false"
        Option  "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
        Option  "ModeValidation"      "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
        Option  "UseDisplayDevice"    "DFP-1"
        Option  "ModeDebug"           "true"
        Option  "HWCursor"            "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "screen"
        Device          "nvidia"
        SubSection      "Display"
                Modes "1920x1080_60"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite"           "false"
EndSection

"UseDisplayDevice" is the magic option, but you'll want the rest too.
If your not getting video output when the machine boots, then your aren't going to get it once xbmc has loaded.

I'm not near my revo's at the moment, but have you checked in the bios to make sure hdmi output is enabled (not that i recall having to do this).

Failing that it could just be a dead port.
Have you tried with a different TV/Monitor, i only ask because i had to change a few settings on my LG TV before it would display a PC input over HDMI. I know you can view ubuntu fine, but i could also use my 360 fine just not xbmc. My Revo is now connected and displaying fine using xbmcfreaks live build. If you can view ubuntu then it wont be a bios setting.

Have you installed the live build to HDD? Could you try and download/install again?
Hi, Thanks for all the replies!

I have not been ignoring, but my internet has been giving me all sorts of problems!

Anyway.. It is set to use VDPAU already, so that isn't it. I modified the xorg.conf file to include all the listed info. Still not working. I cannot find a BIOS setting and agree that since Ubuntu works, this seems unlikely, as does the dead port.

I only have the one monitor to test on, but will see if I can borrow another to see if that helps. It is installed to HDD. I may have to try and download again.. In which case, that will probably be over the weekend..

Thanks again for all your suggestions. If you think of anything, please do feel free to add it! I will try any ideas!

Mark
Well I have tried reinstalling xbmc, but still no hdmi output. After installing, I enabled VDPAU and still no luck.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It is an Aspire Revo 3600, which I believe is quite common for this purpose.. should it normally just work straight away?

Mark
Hi, In case anyone else stumbles across this, thought I would post an update. Turns out HDMI is disabled when VGA is connected.. so it is now working.. just need to get the sound now!

Cheers for all the feedback.