Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVD inserted xbmc claims no media
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Blu-Ray drive in my PC (no DVD drive) and if I use VLC I can play my DVD's with no problems. With makemkv I can play Blu-ray while in xbmc using the Blu-ray plugin. If I put in a DVD xbmc give me a message when I hit play that no disk has been detected. Based on other messages I have seen in my quest to solve this there may be issues with the dvdplayer thinking that there is a source for DVD media. If I use the BluRay plugin on my DVD it palys OK but I want this to be a more native way of playing.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 with a Clarkson CPU and 4Gb of memory, with xbmc installed with apt-get. Any suggestions for what to do?
Verion 1:9.11-lucid2

I am new to xbmc since I usually use FEDORA but it seemed simpler when building my media PC to use Ubuntu
Well if I build from SVN then DVD's work but there are no plugin options so my Blu-ray no longer works. So it looks like I am going to give up on this and fall back to xbmc for Blu-ray and vlc for DVD.
Hi!
this seems to be a known bug as you can read it here http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8026.
I used this workaround to get my DVD drive running : (C&P from Ubuntuforum.org)

create a symbolic link in your home directory to the /media/ directory, call it e.g. "Media":

# cd
# ln -s /media/ Media

Then open XBMC and do "Add Source" in e.g. your Video section, in the popup window choose "Browse", browse to "Home Folder" and then to the newly created "Media" folder. Click "OK", then give the source a name, click "OK" again. Now just insert your DVD, let Ubuntu mount it, then in XBMC you can access it by browsing to the "Media" folder and in there by choosing whatever Ubuntu named the DVD... in my case "Avengers 63 D 7"
With this it takes two clicks/keystrokes more, but otherwise everything works just as usual.