Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Zotac MAG HD-NS01 Can someone help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I've been at this for 9 hours today and I just don't know what to do any more.

I've got this zotac box but I'm struggling to get a current build of XBMC installed. I can download the XBMCLive 9.11 version and boot it off a usb drive, install it and it works and plays videos great and jitter free. Everything about this version works awesome.

I really want to get a new version on though, so here are some of the things I've tried:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68653
I tried those instructions, with the current ubuntu version I got xbmc installed (obv I realize now it was the non-svn version) but regardless playback was jittery.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76735
I tried that as well, it booted fine but vdpau was not an option among the renderers. CPU utilization was high and output very jittery. Otherwise it seemed to work but there was no in-menu audio.

http://www.labordus.nl/?page_id=376
I tried that to install 9.11 and then upgrade but it seemed to run into some sort of conflicts trying to install the svn version.

I also tried the XCI script to install a mini-version of linux and then put on and upgrade 9.11 from there. It ran issues too and on their forum I found a post where they said it wasn't possible to install 9.11 and then upgrade. I tried a second time doing a workaround but with my limited knowledge I just didn't seem to know the correct order of doing things.

Can someone just nudge me in the direction? I like the XBMCFreak disc since it seemed to be the closest I got... it was the only one where I had a version > 9.11 actually start, so if I could figure out how to get the VDPAU renderer to appear that'd probably do the trick?

I'm really lost though so if someone can just point me in the direction of the simplest method to get this to work I'd really appreciate it a lot. Obviously I'm no linux guru but I can navigate and know the basics, I've worked with it in the past but I've never encountered problems like this trying to get something working. :/
hey

Problem for newbs is that in my own experince things seem to get complicated and suddenly your making all sorts of mistakes and find command line very scary, however trust me its not.

Simplest method is XCI + minimal karmic, well attested by many users. It will configure xbmc and gfx drivers vdpau xorg audio etc etc...

Upgrading from 9.11 to higher is a bug with xbmc, script can upgrade xbmc except, that xbmc bug prevents it, there's a easy and manual workaround on xci forums there is a post with the workaround at least until xbmc bug is fixed, if ever. My experience is that only some bugs get fixed others just sloppy left behind.

Script works just fine just depends on user...

FYI I spent months trying from no knowledge of Linux to now and a fully working install of xbmc and hardware config, 9 hours are just warmup Smile

of course you can go and use xbmcfreak its arguably easier then script but easy comes at a price.
Thank you very much for your reply, can you talk a bit about the steps I should take after the minimal install with your script? I saw the workaround for the install but I wasn't sure if I should still install 9.11 first or if I should just bypass that and try installing the svn build.

I wish I still had the script window in front of my but do I just in general follow it down the number line in steps? I wasn't sure if I should be doing things like installing the nvidia drivers before installing the XBMC 9.11 etc.

I was able to get that minimal install running fine (the screenshots in the pdf were a nice help) but it's once I got into the script part of things that it fell apart, I wasn't sure if I should be following the steps in order or what.

Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate it. Smile I'm willing to put the time in but it's frustrating when you're more lost at the end of those 9 hours than you were at the start. Wink
double bubble.
How to install minimal is on my signature and so is script. On the minimal install it tells you how to grab and run script, always update script to whaverer newer version unless you know better, before running it.

Theres a topic on script here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69753 and thers forums as well. thers no how to use it cause it is pretty easy, what it says is what it does on options. each option run takes care of all dependencies.

Install 9.11 first that will also ask which video drivers, bootscreen configure xbmc to autostart, and basically all you need to have a fully working system proceeding automatically.

you cant bypass 9.11, cause all the setup & config is mostly done when that option is ran. So start with 9.11 it will ask you to choose video drivers version, I would choose 256, alsa I would choose 1.0.23 etc youll get an idea its pretty noob proof.

once that is complete and you get a working xbmc if your really unsure about purge 9.11 you can compile from svn trunk also using script.

All it is is a installer and configuration and options are named after what they actually do so navigate them away without installing anything first so you get a feel for it.

Good luck