Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live Install - Zotac GT210 HDMI Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I decided to attempt to build up a media centre using an old HP computer and a Zotac GT210 Graphics card.

I have installed the latest ALSA drivers;
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
Compiled on Aug 2 2010 for kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (SMP).

I now have a device showing up in the XBMC GUI - Sound as "NVIDIA HDMI" so I selected this for all sound output, however I'm not getting any sound across the HDMI at all. From what I can see the device is unmuted in alsamixer.

What else do I need to do to get sound over the HDMI? BTW I'm a linux noob so I will need exact commands to follow Sad

Thanks.

Billy.
Make sure first you have run:
Code:
sudo alsaconf

Then follow this guide - http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=502129&postcount=1
Hey thanks for the fast reply, when I run "sudo alsaconf" I get the following error;

andrew@XBMCLive:~$ sudo alsaconf
sudo: alsaconf: command not found

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Check this out - http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/0...ynx-10-04/

Works for me everytime
I did another clean install of XBMC Live to disk and followed the link u sent me but still same issue, I noticed several problems along the way....also googled them and noticed others with same issue but couldnt find a resolution....is it because I'm using the live version?

Problems;

bill@XBMCLive:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.

First issue cant stop alsa-utils
bill@XBMCLive:~$ sudo /sbin/alsa-utils stop
sudo: /sbin/alsa-utils: command not found

Nothing updated
bill@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get -y install build-essential ncurses-dev gettext xmlto libasound2-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package build-essential is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package build-essential has no installation candidate

Nothing updated
bill@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get -y install linux-headers-`uname -r` libncursesw5-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic is already the newest version.
linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic set to manually installed.
E: Couldn't find package libncursesw5-dev

When trying to update the alsa-utils it failed with following
sudo ./configure
checking for panel.h... no
configure: error: required curses helper header not found
You could also try XBMCfreak 10.08 to install clean. It will have the version of alsa you need to run sound through hdmi. I'm not sure why you are having package not available issues, I just used the guide a week ago and everything worked.

Even if you do that you still have to use alsaconf to configure the sound, and use this guide - http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=502129&postcount=1 to get sound.