Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
wingrunr21 Wrote:You should be using the internal ffmpeg when compiling xbmc. There are patches in the internal one that aren't applied against upstream yet. Yes, it also works with TrueHD.

Is anyone using AirPlay/AirTunes with AE? I'm running AE merged with Eden b3 and xbmc locks up hard whenever I try and AirPlay to it. No log output, no UI response, just a solid lock. If I stop iTunes/my iPhone from trying to send AirPlay stuff to it, xbmc regains responsiveness in a few minutes.

Thanks I am trying with internal ffmpeg now - should i use external libraries and internal ffmpeg or internal everything?

UPDATE:

It built successfully however the receiver only shows PCM for any file I throw at it.

Also in the system/audio section I have Error no devices found, I had to put in Custom and plughw:1,7 for it to work. I have HDMI selected, 7.1 speaker config, and all the options for x capable receiver selected, but as I said I have only PCM showing up on the receiver.

I am running 1.0.25 Alsa, 1.98 pulseaudio and built xbmc AE with internal everything. Is there any logs or anything i can paste here to get some help getting this working at all?
mightymouse2045 Wrote:Thanks I am trying with internal ffmpeg now - should i use external libraries and internal ffmpeg or internal everything?

Everything you need is in the git package. No external libraries are needed that are not in Gnif's git branch.
DDDamian Wrote:Everything you need is in the git package. No external libraries are needed that are not in Gnif's git branch.

Yep ok thanks for that. I have built with internal libraries etc and I have some problems:

It built successfully but the receiver only shows PCM for any file I throw at it.

In the system/audio section I have Error no devices found, I had to put in Custom and plughw:1,7 for it to work. I have HDMI selected, 7.1 speaker config, and all the options for x capable receiver selected, but as I said I have only PCM showing up on the receiver.

I am running 1.0.25 Alsa, 1.98 pulseaudio and built xbmc AE with internal everything. Is there any logs or anything i can paste here to get some help getting this working at all, or what the problem might be?
mightymouse2045 Wrote:Yep ok thanks for that. I have built with internal libraries etc and I have some problems:

It built successfully but the receiver only shows PCM for any file I throw at it.

In the system/audio section I have Error no devices found, I had to put in Custom and plughw:1,7 for it to work. I have HDMI selected, 7.1 speaker config, and all the options for x capable receiver selected, but as I said I have only PCM showing up on the receiver.

I am running 1.0.25 Alsa, 1.98 pulseaudio and built xbmc AE with internal everything. Is there any logs or anything i can paste here to get some help getting this working at all, or what the problem might be?

Yep, a debug log is handy. Obviously it's not seeing your audio driver. I'm assuming nVidia here. I think if you search this thread and the forum with "plughw" you'll find some answers, as a Custom audio device must be configured properly for your hardware, and this topic has been well discussed.
DDDamian Wrote:Yep, a debug log is handy. Obviously it's not seeing your audio driver. I'm assuming nVidia here. I think if you search this thread and the forum with "plughw" you'll find some answers, as a Custom audio device must be configured properly for your hardware, and this topic has been well discussed.

I have configured the hardware correctly and can confirm in CXBikers install I can get DTS and Dolby straight away... It also lists my Alsa and Pulse audio devices in the system audio settings.

When I remove CXBikers modded pulseaudio and install the standard 1.1 pulseaudio, and install the AE version of XBMC there are no audio devices listed and I have to enter a custom device to get audio working.

I have tried, plughw:1,7 for both audio and passthrough and I get sound but no DTS or Dolby.
I have also tried hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7 for Audio and hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 for passthrough, and I get the same results. All audio plays as PCM only no DTS or Dolby.

Attached are the XBMC logs are there any other logs that could help pinpoint the issues? Having Error - No Devices Found seems a bit strange....

The output in the log is cycling through all the above settings for custom passthrough the last one being plughw:1,7

All I can see in the log is:

Code:
NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86020, channels: 6, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

Output from media info on the movie i am playing:
Code:
Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : ES
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Duration                                 : 1h 48mn
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.15 GiB (26%)
Language                                 : English

From guisettings:
Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>custom</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>1</channellayout>
        <customdevice>hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7</customdevice>
        <custompassthrough>plughw:1,7</custompassthrough>
        <dontnormalizelevels>false</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
        <dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
        <guisoundwhileplayback>true</guisoundwhileplayback>
        <mode>2</mode>
        <multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
        <passthroughaac>true</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughdevice>custom</passthroughdevice>
        <passthroughmp1>true</passthroughmp1>
        <passthroughmp2>true</passthroughmp2>
        <passthroughmp3>true</passthroughmp3>
        <truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
    </audiooutput>

XBMC Log file:

http://pastebin.com/J4kN55Rm

I really want to get this working guys - basically cxbikers version is prone to crashing frequently, and I don't like having a modded pulseaudio, which causes issues with VLC. I just threw an AAC encoded file through cxbikers modded XBMC and I get no sound at all. I have to play it through VLC which is quite a pain in the ass because I am only getting 2 channels of a 6 channel encoded movie Sad

I also like the fact that there seems to be some serious development and work towards pass through (finally) in AE, not just for DTS and Dolby, but for most audio that today's receivers are designed to handle. I haven't bought a mid to high end receiver for most of the processing to still be happening on the PC.....

Anyways any help to get this working for me would be much appreciated - I don't mind being a guinea pig in the process because obviously AE is heading in the right direction. I am still surprised that there is literally only a handful of apps both in windows and linux that can handle pass through, and not one of them (YET) can do it all Sad(
Hello,

Yesterday I compilled xbmc with AE - but I have some problem, when I play a movie it running so very fast 2-3x faster.
My audio device isn't initliaze, I put custome device: plughw:0,7, on distro xbmc this audio configuration it working.
I compiled xbmc with ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/xbmcAE --enable-vaapi --disable-pulse.
Below I past my xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/wg4MQkWw

My HTPC:
Asrock Z68M-ITX/HT
i3-2100T (Sandy Bridge)
forall Wrote:Hello,

Yesterday I compilled xbmc with AE - but I have some problem, when I play a movie it running so very fast 2-3x faster.
My audio device isn't initliaze, I put custome device: plughw:0,7, on distro xbmc this audio configuration it working.
I compiled xbmc with ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/xbmcAE --enable-vaapi --disable-pulse.

My HTPC:
Asrock Z68M-ITX/HT
i3-2100T (Sandy Bridge)

I have the same problem.
Cannot play with the newer versions.
I have to stick with my version compiled in January. All other newer versions have the symptoms you describe above.
They compile and run ok, but when playing back are 2x faster and no audio device initialized.

Maybe some simple tweak could resolve the issue?
@elite1967 - maybe Gnif say somethingSmile where is the problem..
DDDamian Wrote:Yep, a debug log is handy. Obviously it's not seeing your audio driver. I'm assuming nVidia here. I think if you search this thread and the forum with "plughw" you'll find some answers, as a Custom audio device must be configured properly for your hardware, and this topic has been well discussed.

Here is a new log - I did a git reset and clean and rebuilt - it obviously wasn't getting any debug info in my previous logs but now it is:

http://pastebin.com/HgDg3x9h

Hopefully this will help you or gniff track down the problem for me....

This log is opening DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA and Dolby True HD streams but still any stream I play it shows as PCM and in the log it is showing that it failed to open passthrough

EDIT:

By the way this works:
Code:
aplay -D plughw:1,7 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif
aplay -D hw:CARD=1,DEV=7 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif

but this squeals back at me

aplay -D hdmi:CARD=1,DEV=1 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif

This is with an NVidia 560TI
mightymouse2045 Wrote:Here is a new log - I did a git reset and clean and rebuilt - it obviously wasn't getting any debug info in my previous logs but now it is:

http://pastebin.com/HgDg3x9h

Hopefully this will help you or gniff track down the problem for me....

This log is opening DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA and Dolby True HD streams but still any stream I play it shows as PCM and in the log it is showing that it failed to open passthrough

EDIT:

By the way this works:
Code:
aplay -D plughw:1,7 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif
aplay -D hw:CARD=1,DEV=7 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif

but this squeals back at me

aplay -D hdmi:CARD=1,DEV=1 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif

This is with an NVidia 560TI

Not wanting to be a pain but I have since set both audio output and pass through to custom and typed in "does this even work" for both

and funnily enough I still have audio - so I don't know what's happening but for some reason these options aren't even working for me and the audio device is being picked up elsewhere.
forall Wrote:Hello,

My HTPC:
Asrock Z68M-ITX/HT
i3-2100T (Sandy Bridge)
I see the same thing - discontinuities - with a G620T processor. Given it runs fine on my Nvidia G210 card in the same system I assume it's a case of tweaking needed to support Intel. This is all on Linux ofc.
mightymouse2045 Wrote:Not wanting to be a pain but I have since set both audio output and pass through to custom and typed in "does this even work" for both

and funnily enough I still have audio - so I don't know what's happening but for some reason these options aren't even working for me and the audio device is being picked up elsewhere.

I think your issue is Pulse. I'm running a nVidia card directly to ALSA with a Custom device (hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1) and get everything working to my receiver. I did have issues with the newest nvidia drivers (295.20) so I am currently running 290.10. Only issue I have is DTS output is choppy as none other so I currently have that disabled and just output PCM to the receiver. It is odd since DTS-HD works fine but I figured it was a bug.

@people getting choppy video: the choppiness is because the audio output device could not be opened to play back your stream. I saw the same issues when I ran my ATI card and tried to play HD audio (ATI cards only support two audio channels via HDMI). You need to make sure you are sending sound out of the correct interface and/or you are modprobing to enable the digital audio features properly.
wingrunr21 Wrote:I think your issue is Pulse. I'm running a nVidia card directly to ALSA with a Custom device (hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1) and get everything working to my receiver. I did have issues with the newest nvidia drivers (295.20) so I am currently running 290.10. Only issue I have is DTS output is choppy as none other so I currently have that disabled and just output PCM to the receiver. It is odd since DTS-HD works fine but I figured it was a bug.

@people getting choppy video: the choppiness is because the audio output device could not be opened to play back your stream. I saw the same issues when I ran my ATI card and tried to play HD audio (ATI cards only support two audio channels via HDMI). You need to make sure you are sending sound out of the correct interface and/or you are modprobing to enable the digital audio features properly.

Can I ask you if this is with an AE build on or after the 28th Jan? I have tried the above device, as well as plughw:1,7 and hw:1,7 and hw:CARD=1,DEV=7 and hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7

None of them work - it keeps giving me this in the log:

Code:
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: passthrough - Opening
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: passthrough - Failed
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: FFmpeg - Opening
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: FFmpeg - Opened
00:45:10 T:139930336474880  NOTICE: Creating audio thread
00:45:10 T:139929426679552   DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayerAudio start, auto delete: 0
00:45:10 T:139929426679552  NOTICE: running thread: CDVDPlayerAudio::Process()
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: CheckPlayerInit - dropping packet type:2 dts:83000.000000 to get to start point at 125000.000000
00:45:10 T:139929426679552  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86020, channels: 6, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: CheckPlayerInit - dropping packet type:2 dts:42000.000000 to get to start point at 125000.000000
00:45:10 T:139933336242048   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogBusy.xml) ------
00:45:10 T:139929426679552   DEBUG: PulseAudio: Stream ready
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO: PulseAEStream::Initialized
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO:   Sample Rate   : 48000
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO:   Sample Format : AE_FMT_S16NE
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO:   Channel Count : 6
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO:   Channel Layout: FL,FR,FC,LFE,SL,SR
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO:   Frame Size    : 12
00:45:10 T:139929426679552    INFO:   Cache Size    : 144000
00:45:10 T:139929426679552   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: synctype set to 0: clock feedback
00:45:10 T:139929426679552   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:112551.874000, should be:0.000000, error:-112551.874000
00:45:10 T:139929426679552   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(10000.000000, 1)
00:45:10 T:139930336474880   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::HandleMessages - player started 1

I have tried going back to previous commits, I have played around with default devices etc but everything i do the passthrough fails to open and it just plays via Pulse Audio and I get PCM only appearing on the receiver...

But if I use the above devices and run aplay on the command line it plays correctly and shows the correct audio stream...

I am stumped at this point
I'm running AE master merged with Eden RC1.

I still think your issue is Pulse. Backup and remove /etc/asound.conf, reboot, and see if you can get the passthrough to work.
wingrunr21 Wrote:I'm running AE master merged with Eden RC1.

I still think your issue is Pulse. Backup and remove /etc/asound.conf, reboot, and see if you can get the passthrough to work.

Hi,

Is that from the standard AE git latest build, or the git when it was merged on the 28th Jan, or the latest AE git merged with the latest Eden RC1 git? if the latter how did you do that?

I can get passthrough working as expected with the latest RC1 Eden build by disabling navigation sounds in XBMC. I understand all the various hdmi:,hw:,plughw: options, and have them working without issue.

What I think is happening is somehow the alsa driver is getting held open in AE but the logs or logging method has changed so it's not clear from the logs whether it can't be found or if it's "device is busy", or even what interface it is trying to use.

It is now being logged simply as trying to open passthrough, opening passthrough failed. Which doesn't help me track down what the issue is.

With Eden the logs at least let me track down where the issue was, and I now have passthorugh working with that build... So if your saying we could somehow merge the builds so I had the best of both worlds that would be a great option in my opinion Smile

PS. I don't have an /etc/asound.conf I deleted it. The only entry I have modified is the /etc/pulse/default.pa to tell it to load the alsa hdmi:NVidia device as the default, and a probe mask setting the valid codec in my case Dev 1 as the NVidia device and masking the other 3 non working devices.

I have tried disabling the pulse audio altogether, not building with pulse support, setting gstreamer properties to various outputs and all of them have failed.