Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Reverting to 9.11 from 10.05pre (what files to restore?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I briefly tried 10.05pre, and while it looks great, there are too many changes for me to deal with at the moment. For one, it didn't recognize my old skin. I'll figure it out later but for now I just wanted to revert to 9.11. Of course I replaced the 10.05 app with the old one.

But upon launching 9.11, much is now messed up. Trying to browse SMB shares kicks me to a login screen. Entering l/p does not save. Is there a resolution to that?

If not, or even if there is, what files would have been overwritten by 10.05 so that I can restore from my last backup?

Thanks.
Restore the entire .xbmc profile folder. Check the wiki for the exact location for your platform.
vdrfan Wrote:Restore the entire .xbmc profile folder. Check the wiki for the exact location for your platform.

Thanks... I did that. (FYI info on that below for others).

However relaunching XBMC, the same thing happens. any time i try to access a SMB share, it kicks me to a "Modify your Profile" screen. (On the right it says "Login Screen" in Media Stream skin). My username is filled in for login. Entering my pw and clicking "remember for this path" just clears the fields and returns me to the same screen.

Any more clues?

-----

info on restoring .xbmc folder from mac os x time machine backup.

1. first you have to show all invisible folders in the finder by entering a terminal command and restarting the finder (killall Finder). in terminal enter (using two separate commands):

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

2. then run time machine and restore the .xbmc folder in your user directory

3. reverse showing invisible files by entering this in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
Why do you make restoring a back up so complicated? Open the sparse bundle of time machine by either entering time machine or simply navigating and opening then you can find the folder, whats with all the invisible files stuff?

The xbmc folder lives in your homefolder>library>application support.
no, garyi. that's NOT the folder vdrfan is talking about. it's an invisible folder at the root of your user directory. It begins with a period hence it is invisible on OS X. It is also invisible in Time Machine until you make it visible in the finder as I describe, or with some other utility to show invisible files.

Please at least consider the possibility that you don't know what you're talking about before you spew. Smile

Anyway, unfortunately the main question (about why I'm being kicked to the "modify your profile screen" and what I can do about it) is not yet answered...
ctawn Wrote:Thanks... I did that. (FYI info on that below for others).

However relaunching XBMC, the same thing happens. any time i try to access a SMB share, it kicks me to a "Modify your Profile" screen. (On the right it says "Login Screen" in Media Stream skin). My username is filled in for login. Entering my pw and clicking "remember for this path" just clears the fields and returns me to the same screen.

Any more clues?

-----

info on restoring .xbmc folder from mac os x time machine backup.

1. first you have to show all invisible folders in the finder by entering a terminal command and restarting the finder (killall Finder). in terminal enter (using two separate commands):

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

2. then run time machine and restore the .xbmc folder in your user directory

3. reverse showing invisible files by entering this in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Humm, interesting. XBMC for OSX should not be using the .xbmc folder, that a linux thing. The xbmc folder lives in homefolder>Library>Application support, if there is a .xbmc present in OSX then that's wrong, wrong, wrong and I need to see why.
Ctawn all OSX users need to concern themselves with is the real visible folder, this is where all user stuff is held.

I try to only 'spew' when I have half an idea what I am on about.

For people wanting to see invisible files who are not confident with terminal, tinkertool has an option. Baring in mind invisible files tend to be so for a reason.
I did some checking, there is a .xbmc/temp/ in the user home directory which only contains temporary items and never userdata.
davilla Wrote:Humm, interesting. XBMC for OSX should not be using the .xbmc folder, that a linux thing. The xbmc folder lives in homefolder>Library>Application support, if there is a .xbmc present in OSX then that's wrong, wrong, wrong and I need to see why.

There is NO such folder at that location. It is at ~/.xbmc/

It contains a single folder "temp" which contains these files & folders:

Code:
fanartthumbs
GoogleReader_items_CILsitv_95sC.dat
GoogleReader_subs.dat
GoogleReader_tags.dat
idx-sub.rar
imdbthumbs
lastfm.xml
localthumb.jpg
Metacritic_answerman.htm
Metacritic_deadgirl2009.htm
Metacritic_gforce.htm
Metacritic_intheloop.htm
Metacritic_movie_film.dat
Metacritic_movie_film.xml
Metacritic_orphan.htm
Metacritic_shrink.htm
Metacritic_survivingcrookedlake.htm
Metacritic_uglytruth.htm
scrapers
temp
weather

I hope you get it sussed out.

edit: I didn't see that you already realized that (about the temp file) sorry.

edit 2:

Damn... It turns out that the problem was not related to downgrading XBMC on my laptop but to re-applying OS X 10.6.4 combo update on my (serving) desktop. The combo update replaced my modified /etc/smb.conf file. It was the same issue I had before that I had fixed. See this thread.

Frankly I am very surprised that no one else is reporting this issue with SMB. I suppose it's because I'm using symlinks. But those two modifications to the SMB file (wide links and strict locking) seem absolutely necessary. Maybe to devs it would be a good idea to let XBMC make those mods to smb.conf if SMB is being used and cannot access the share?
The primary issue I had with trying the latest version (with addons) and reverting is that TV shows/Films are no longer in the database, and trying to set content for those folders does not work, you have to ditch the whole XBMC folder.

Thats what living on the bleeding edge is all about I 'spose.

I have to say the last version before Addons was implements, 31st march I think has been the most reliable XBMC version I have used. Nothing in the current builds seems to stay up for more than an hour and tends to crash after any video comes to an end.