Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] xbmc / ubuntu 64 bits?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anybody know if it is possible to run xbmc on ubunto 10.04 64 bits?
I tried it time ago and i had problems with xbmc was 32 bits so i never got it running correctly.

any hints how to make it work, if it is possible?

BR
sueco
I installed using the PPAs and it runs, but I'm having a problem with video drivers and an ATI card ... don't know if the fact that it's 64 bit has anything to do with it or not.

So my experience is that it will install and run on 10.04 64-bit ... can't say much more though. In fact if you happen to have an NVIDA card and give it a try I'd love to hear what happens.
i will try to install it and see what happens.
i have Nvidia Ion.

after installation i will tell you if it worked or not.
I use XBMC on Ubuntu 64-bit with no issues. There aren't any massive speed improvements over 32-bit, but then again there aren't many compatibility problems with 64-bit, so it's up to you.

I use 64 because it (supposedly) boots a few seconds faster, as is encoding video with ffmpeg. If you use ZSNES heavily, you might want to go 32-bit.
I'm also running XBMC (64bit) on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. The only issue I've had was ATI drivers (had to use the proprietary drivers) and an overheating issue with the laptop. (not an XBMC problem). Turning off desktop effects cured the overheating problem.

XBMC is fairly stable, but I am running the latest svn. I've had the odd core dump, occasionally XBMC just exits with no reason, and when exiting XBMC, the process never totally quits, and has to be killed with a killall -9 xbmc.bin

Overall, I'm happy with the setup, and figure once Dharma is released the above issues will probably be fixed.
@bmillham... when you say you used the proprietary drivers for your ati card were those the ones obtained with the Hardware Driver tool in the Ubuntu menus?

I installed the same drivers and all my video became big flashing color squares. Did yours work the first time or were any settings you needed to tweak?
UncleDirtNap Wrote:@bmillham... when you say you used the proprietary drivers for your ati card were those the ones obtained with the Hardware Driver tool in the Ubuntu menus?

I installed the same drivers and all my video became big flashing color squares. Did yours work the first time or were any settings you needed to tweak?

Yes, I'm referring to the Hardware Drivers.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I did have to make a change in XBMC. Try going to Settings : Video : Playback and change Render Method to Basic Shaders (ARB)