Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: update asound.conf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to follow some of the posts to edit asound.conf on my Acer revo 1600 so I can get both digital and analog audio to pass concurrently. But I'm having an issue actually editing the file. I've tried opening through two different SFTP clients (winscp under Vista & filezilla under ubuntu) and both give me error messages when I try to save the file. I've also tried editing a file on my local computer and then transfering it but I get a similar message.

Do I have to change permissions on asound.conf before editing it? If so, can someone give me a hand?

thanks.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post577791

I am awaiting an answer in this thread, but maybe some useful info in there for you.

what OS is XBMC running on for you? Linux desktop, Linux minimal, or Live

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post577791

I am awaiting an answer in this thread, but maybe some useful info in there for you.

what OS is XBMC running on for you? Linux desktop, Linux minimal, or Live

-=Jason=-

I'm running Linux Live.

Concerning your question on the other post, you won't be able to pass spidf and HDMI audio. But, you should be able to send HDMI & the headphone output.

Here's another thread that I'm following that might address what you're trying to do.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+1600+hdmi

Otherwise, you'll have to go into audio setting and toggle the analog/digit output each time you want to use zone 2.

good luck.
do you have a windows machine you can ssh with putty into your HTPC?

thats how I have been running command on my HTPC open putty on windows type in your IP of the HTPC , type in user name and password and you should be able to use nano to edit your sound conf file and save it with out any problems.

-=Jason=-
Yeah you can't edit asound.conf as regular user, you need root access. If you can ssh into your xbmc-box then to that, then run:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

Alternatively, if you have a keyboard available on your xbmc-box you can just boot the machine, then once xbmc has started, hit ctrl+alt+F1 to drop into a terminal and log in through that, then enter the command above. ctrl+alt+f7 gets you back to your xbmc-session.

Once done editing with nano, just hit ctrl+x to exit, remember to say yes to save the file.
OK, I was able to SSH in and make changes to asound.conf but now I'm on to other related issues.

First, I reviewed the xbmc.log right after boot and I found that I had INFO messages saying that AC3 passthrough & DTS passthrough were disables.

I did this:
sudo /sbin/alsa-utils stop
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-22-generic

followed by a reboot and the INFO lines now say AC# passthrough enabled (and DTS too).

But, my audio still doesn't work and when I try
aplay -l
I don't have any digital devices (just dev 0: analog, and dev 3: HDMI
Also
sudo alsamixer

doesn't show any iec958 channels & I can't change the s-pdif channel that is there.

So, I stuck again and don't know where to turn next.

HELP!!!!

thanks in advance.
First, you shouldn't use sudo when running alsamixer because then you are changing sound settings for the root/admin instead of for your regular user. Just run "alsamixer". Then once you have changed the settings to your liking you need to use sudo to save them correctly with:

Code:
sudo alsactl store

With s-pdif you probably aren't suppose to be able to change the volume since it should just use the normal volume settings. You just need to make sure that it's not muted (if it's muted it should say "MM" instead of "00" in alsamixer). To unmuted it just press M.
rune0077 Wrote:First, you shouldn't use sudo when running alsamixer because then you are changing sound settings for the root/admin instead of for your regular user. Just run "alsamixer". Then once you have changed the settings to your liking you need to use sudo to save them correctly with:

Code:
sudo alsactl store

With s-pdif you probably aren't suppose to be able to change the volume since it should just use the normal volume settings. You just need to make sure that it's not muted (if it's muted it should say "MM" instead of "00" in alsamixer). To unmuted it just press M.

I'd like to say "yeah! all sorted" but alas...
Now when I ssh into by htpc I can't run alsamixer at all. I get a message saying "no such file or directory".

What on earth have I done nowHuh