Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Install XBMC Live to SD card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have a NVIDIA 9400 mATX based HTPC (Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H) and I'm currently running the latest stable XBMC Live 9.11 from a USB stick successfully.

Now I want to install the latest XBMCFreak LiveCD (http://www.xbmcfreak.nl) to a SD Card (2GB, sandisk ultra, inserted in the front of my Silverstone ML02 htpc case). I tried with unetbootin but without success. I always receive a boot disk falure when booting my HTPC.

Is there anywere a guide on how to install the latest XBMCFreak LiveCD to an SD card? And what do I have to set my bios to to boot from (currently it is set to USB-HDD, which works for my USB stick but not my SD card...)

Many thanks!

Kind regards,
Nik
Hi,

I did this at first, but then changed to booting from hard disk as it was much slower using the SD card.. ymmv tho..

I just installed the live CD (probably with unetbootin) to a usb drive, booted it on my htpc (a Revo) and it allowed me to install to SD card..

Not sure if your hardware is different tho.. sorry!
Hi,
I have a Sandisk Ultra SD card, they supposed to be faster then a normal SD card... So i'd like to try it.
so what you're saying is that it is not possible to install directly to the SD card with unetbootin like you would do to a USB drive?
When I try to install the XBMC Live cd, I cannot select my SD card in the partition list (only my internal HD is there).
have you verified that the SD is bootable on that mb? (check in bios if it is selectable in the boot sequence)
vikjon0 Wrote:have you verified that the SD is bootable on that mb? (check in bios if it is selectable in the boot sequence)

I've selected USB-HDD as first boot device (because the card reader is connected with a internal usb connecter I thought this would be ok). There is no specific SD card option.
If you get it booted and installed, consider using AUFS to store file system changes to a RAM disk - see link below. This will prevent you from burning out your SD card with too many writes. You'll need to create a script on shutdown to sync your ~xbmc folder.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/aufsRo...OnUsbFlash