Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: pin87s image - questions and problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone,

I create a new Thread because the Thread "[AppleTV] Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image" getting bigger and bigger...

With Sams image i always get a Swap Fail fail during the booting ,so i decide to go back to pin87s image, where i have several "little" problems.

1st:
sometimes the remote control does not work when it comes up.
I have to boot the atv twice until it works. Is it possible to install the remote driver from scratch and how to install?

2nd:
sometimes it happens that i get black-white-noisy picture (noise pattern) for 3-5 seconds before a movie starts. I'm not quit sure if i could describe it, but it seems that he video decoding problem and that it lost the hdmi connection or so.
First i get appalled , thought atv is damaged or so, but the video picture get luckily back .

3nd.
i do a sudo apt-get upgrade and after that an update, perhaps that was the problem?
should i also update xbmc and the crysthal driver? i do not know which version i should use. can someone tell me how to update and to which stable version?

thanks in advance for all hints!

MasterOe
MasterOe Wrote:Hi everyone,

I create a new Thread because the Thread "[AppleTV] Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image" getting bigger and bigger...

With Sams image i always get a Swap Fail fail during the booting ,so i decide to go back to pin87s image, where i have several "little" problems.

1st:
sometimes the remote control does not work when it comes up.
I have to boot the atv twice until it works. Is it possible to install the remote driver from scratch and how to install?
Does this happen every time you turn on the ATV? And are you turning it off frequently? I tried to look into this for you (you were the only one that had this issue), but it's been tough to duplicate.

On a few occasions I was able to make this happen by doing the following (unusual) things... Turn off ATV (unplug), leave off for a extended period of time (overnight?), then turn on ATV..but don't use (don't press any remote buttons) for about an hour. With a little luck (since it doesn't happen every time) you will end up with a non-working remote (solid white light, no response on remote key presses). When in this state restarting atvclient, udev, and reloading the usb kernel module (ehci_hcd) has no effect. No error message in the system logs, and as far as linux/atvclient is concerned all is well. Only way to re-enable the remote (that I've been able to figure out) is to restart.

Weird thing is that I was actually able to make this happen a couple of times (following the above steps) under the normal ATV OS so I'm not entirely sure if this is a Linux/atvclient issue or a underlying hardware issue on the Apple TV that is rarely seen because most people leave the ATV on all the time (as it was designed to be used).

If anyone has any input I'm all ears since I'm not sure where to look next in troubleshooting this (and if there even is a solution besides not turning off the atv or making sure you press a button on the remote within the first hour of being turned on).

Quote:2nd:
sometimes it happens that i get black-white-noisy picture (noise pattern) for 3-5 seconds before a movie starts. I'm not quit sure if i could describe it, but it seems that he video decoding problem and that it lost the hdmi connection or so.
First i get appalled , thought atv is damaged or so, but the video picture get luckily back .

Sounds like your TV doesn't respond nicely to changes in refresh rate. Try disabling "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" under settings -> Video -> Playback.

Quote:3nd.
i do a sudo apt-get upgrade and after that an update, perhaps that was the problem?
should i also update xbmc and the crysthal driver? i do not know which version i should use. can someone tell me how to update and to which stable version?

The xbmc-svn-ppa has been broken for a bit (and the recent working builds have crystal hd support disabled). You don't have to upgrade xbmc, but if you want a newer version you can install revision 31718 by following these instructions. I think version 1.0.3 of the crystal hd driver is still the recommended version so you might want to stick with that (which is already installed).
Hi Pin87a,

regarding:
1st prob - Remote control problem:

When my receiver got powered off the atv is also getting powered off.
The power is connected to my receiver...
When i switch on my receiver, the atv boots up.
I did not make any remote control gestures until atv is up.
Then when it does not react i power off my receiver and switch-on again.

When it is up and did not react what information do you need? Could i check if the driver is loaded?

2nd prob - noise pattern

the option "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" was already disabled.
this problem i never had with sam's image on linux or with the mac/os and xbmc. This problem is also not always, hard to reconstruct. TV respond ,refresh rate never been a problem before. I read from an update of the nvidia driver, perhaps a solution? I'l also try to monitor this prob and keep you informed...

3rd: update xbmc and driver(s)

thanks, i'll try to install revision 31718

MasterOe
If my image worked before the swap errors, then all you have to do is restore the image to your drive and you have a fresh version.

As for remote issues, I have been able to reproduce this before, and to avoid this you should not press remote buttons until XBMC is fully loaded. I haven't checked why this is happening. If you still can't get remote presses detected on the aTV just ssh in (xbmc:xbmc) and run "sudo reboot". This will fix your remote issue.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If my image worked before the swap errors, then all you have to do is restore the image to your drive and you have a fresh version.

As for remote issues, I have been able to reproduce this before, and to avoid this you should not press remote buttons until XBMC is fully loaded. I haven't checked why this is happening. If you still can't get remote presses detected on the aTV just ssh in (xbmc:xbmc) and run "sudo reboot". This will fix your remote issue.

Hi Sam,

for somehow i'm not able to install your image on the atv any more without the swap error.
I couldn't find the reason for that. i downloaded the image twice and installed it on different usb sticks, always the swap fail message .....

"sudo reboot" reboots the hole system, power off/on is faster for me ...
i thought i could find the reason for the remote control problem by connecting on the atv and starting only the remote control service or try a hardware detection or something like this ...

after updating to version 31718 i still have the remote control issue and the black/white noise pattern problem....

The xbmc seems to be more sensitive from the input of the remote control.

Yesterday xbmc several times crashed after i "overused" the remote control (try to cancel some remote control input demands)...
Pretty sure the remote issue isn't xbmc related so updating xbmc is unlikely to fix it. As far as I know there is no known method of re-activating the IR receiver when the ATV gets in that state (besides rebooting). Reloading atvclient, re-detecting hardware, etc... has no effect.

Best bet is to not turn off the ATV with your receiver.
However if you insist on doing that perhaps the easiest solution would be to buy a $25 MCE remote / receiver (this one works well) and use that instead.
pin87a Wrote:Pretty sure the remote issue isn't xbmc related so updating xbmc is unlikely to fix it. As far as I know there is no known method of re-activating the IR receiver when the ATV gets in that state (besides rebooting). Reloading atvclient, re-detecting hardware, etc... has no effect.

Best bet is to not turn off the ATV with your receiver.
However if you insist on doing that perhaps the easiest solution would be to buy a $25 MCE remote / receiver (this one works well) and use that instead.

mmh,

i'm not quit sure if it is a solution to buy an new remote control for the atv and plug it in through usb....
i can also buy a new barbone or something like that so i would not have any problems Wink....

I have bought a logitech harmony remote control , too, to have only one remote to control them all Smile

if i don't get the swap problem from sams image i would try it again, but perhaps we'll get updates or a new image soon --> when everything is perfect Smile

neverless, i'm thankful for both images Smile
hi everyone,

i have a question regarding the setting:

adjust display refesh rate to match video

When i enable this setting , sometimes it needs around 2 minutes (black screen) until it opens or stops the video .

With this setting the videos are playing with 50Hz and without this setting with 60Hz.
What is the correct one ? My TV also is able to play 24p, what about that?

i found this thread
Quote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...erid=71554
but this don't work on pin87s image.

Could i adjust the xorg.conf as described there?

would be nice when someone could help Smile
I suggested sudo reboot vs power cycling because it will fix your remote issue, but power cycling may not.
A random observation...

The remote issue is almost impossible to duplicate (i.e. it pretty much never happens) when booting from usb. Perhaps the added delay give the hardware enough time to initialize or something?

So if you are running linux directly from a usb drive or using the usb drive (with atv-bootloader) to boot a linux install on the hard drive you will probably never have any problems with the remote.
pin87a Wrote:The xbmc-svn-ppa has been broken for a bit (and the recent working builds have crystal hd support disabled). You don't have to upgrade xbmc, but if you want a newer version you can install revision 31718 by following these instructions. I think version 1.0.3 of the crystal hd driver is still the recommended version so you might want to stick with that (which is already installed).

These instructions are broken now. I'm getting 404 trying to download the packages. Is there another source for this build?
liquidinsect Wrote:These instructions are broken now. I'm getting 404 trying to download the packages. Is there another source for this build?

The same problem here. A few weeks ago I tested to update the R3. It worked fine - but I haven't audio over hdmi/plughw. Sad Now I wanted to test the update again - and the download links don't exist anymore. Sad
The SVN PPA seems to be working again (current build is 33004) so you can update the normal way.

However, it seems you have to remove the old PPA version first (don't usually have to do this, probably has something to do with the cleanup).

This should work:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-data
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-live
sudo reboot

Might want to update the crystal hd libraries too.
Code:
cd
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/tags/crystalhd-for-osx-2.0.0
cd crystalhd-for-osx-2.0.0/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd/
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
sudo reboot

Should get you all up to date.
pin87a Wrote:The SVN PPA seems to be working again (current build is 33004) so you can update the normal way.

However, it seems you have to remove the old PPA version first (don't usually have to do this, probably has something to do with the cleanup).

This should work:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-data
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-live
sudo reboot

That worked for me. Now I can update BIG Alaska skin to the last version. Thank you. Laugh
I've just tried a "fresh" R3 image, and then updated as above. System works, but video won't start with the crystal. Sound but menu stays on the screen/ Anyone else encounter this? (before I start posting log files all over the place)
Pages: 1 2 3