Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Which Version Of XBMC should I use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Zotac ION330 based HTPC and was wondering if I should install windows 7 on it and then add XBMC or should I use the XBMC OS itself? I tried to install the XBMC OS before and I had a hard time with video drivers and wifi drivers too. So I am very new to the HTPC scene. Any suggestions??
XBMC works equally well on all operating systems, so from that point if view it doesn't matter whether you use Windows or XBMCLive. If you feel happier with Windows then use Windows.

One advantage of XBMCLive is simplicity, but if you run into driver problems that advantage is reduced and it may be simpler to use Windows.

JR
you also don't need a windows license for xbmclive.

You can also install ubuntu linux and then install xbmc. That's what I do. My backend server and frontends run on ubuntu and I also have xbmc installed on a win7 PC where I manage my media collection as well as dabble with mod'ing themes.

Its really matter of preference as to which OS you are more comfortable with.

You'll probably get a faster boot with linux solutions. Also you get a seemless boot, meaning it'll show the xbmc boot splash then go directly to xbmc. Don't think that can be done with Windows.
ION is great because XBMC Live is so supported.