Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashes when starting/stopping movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally got my pc running with xbmc and working sound, but i when i try to play any movies xbmc crashes. I am using Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn32416.

I tried other install methods like minimal ubuntu server + xbmc and got the sound working but i still had the same crashes (even with the stable ppa). If i get a playback working the movie mostly plays fine. It lags sometimes.

some specs:
- Athlon X2 2x3Ghz
- 4GB RAM
- AMD Chipset
- Gainward G210 video
- Audio output to AV-Receiver through HDMI (onboard sound disabled)

- svn32416
- Ubuntu 10.04.1 i686 as installed with the Xbmcfreak Live-CD from 2nd August 2010 (no apt-get upgrade, because then alsa gets screwed up)
- skin: confluence (tried pm3.hd too, same problem)

error
XBMC crashes or hangs shortly after starting or when i stop playing movies. It also hangs when i press play to start the movie. i just get "Working" displayed for hours....
I don't know if these errors are connected, but it sure seems that way.
I tried different file types, but all have the same problem, it does'nt matter if i play a 15gb 1080p mkv movie or a 200 mb avi. I turned vdpau on and off, but nothing changed.

Backtrace
Debug Log
CrashLog

The strange thing is i can't really find anything in the debug or crashlog that could explain any of my crashes.

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance!

Chanas
1. Turn off "Extract thumbnails and details from videos".
2. Verify it no longer hangs.
3. Find the file that is screwing things up.
Thanks for the quick answer.

I did a quick test this evening randomly starting and stopping movies and no crash yet. Seems to work. I'll do a thorough test tomorrow.
Hi jmarshall,

Thanks from me too! Your suggestion to turn off "extract thumbnails and details from videos" has helped my issues too!

Cheers!
Thanks a lot for posting this, it solved my problem with xbmc crashing! Never would have thought that this was the problem!
Unless developers are given a file that allows this to be reproduced the problem will remain.
Hello all -- I'm having the same problem. Whenever I play any videos from my SMB share the system locks up. I've tried AVI, Mkv, m4v, all crash and they all play fine from my Windows PC.

I'm using a new Zotac Zbox HD-ID11U, 2GB RAM, XBMC Live. I tried playing a music track and while it played, I had no sound (HDMI). Thinking it was a related issue I tried the steps in this thread only to have the compile command fail with an "Error 2, make failed". So I'm not sure if they are related or not, but I'm 0 for 2 on this machine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: Disregard -- installing the XMBCFreak latest revision got it all working.
jmarshall Wrote:1. Turn off "Extract thumbnails and details from

Fixed my problem Smile
Thank you very, very much Chanas for posting that sound didnt work after apt-get upgrade.

I was trying to get sound working for my Gainward G210 for two days now until i read your post. I am sooooo glad that it works when i do not ugrade.

Because i do not know which packet screws the audio up, i cant pin it. Do you know which one it is?

Thanks in advance
Sir_knumskull