Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] P5N7A-VM, HDMI Audio & ALSA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys

i have used various threads around this and the ubuntuforums sites to help me with my configuration.

as indicated above, i have the Asus P5N7A-VM which has Ubuntu 9.10 installed. The only additional aspects that have been configured are installing the NVIDIA-VDPAU repository drivers up to 190.53, updated ALSA to 1.0.23 and XBMC and XBMC-Standalone have been installed and installing Lirc for the remote.

this generally works very well, though now i am trying to maximise the sound capabilities.

i do not have an AV Reciever currently. All my HDMI sources connect to the TV. The TV then outputs via Stereo cable to the small amp that i do have. in this way, i keep the amp set on the same channel and no matter what i watch, the audio comes out.

i have basically followed a Revo inspired thread to enable the HDMI Audio
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70754

this works, in that i get my audio delivered through the same channel on the amp, so must be coming through HDMI.

however, if i stop playing video playback or the episode ends, i often end up with a horrible repeating end-trail from the last piece of audio that is clipped.

is there a way to get rid of this?

additionally, i do not get the menu sounds. is this because i actually have the P5N7A-VM board and not a Revo? how can i amend this config to have menu sounds too?

there was also a P5N7A-VM specific guide for configuring with XBMC, including ALSA & HDMI Audio, but this didnt seem to work for me.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...controller

Comparing the 2 asound.conf files, they are significantly different. does anyone know that the impacts/losses/gains i might have from having completed the Asus config?

thanks

jingo_man
Well you could also choose not to use hdmi, since you don't need to output surround anyway. You'd loose the advantage of having a single cable for A&V though.
yep, thats the simplest solution...

not preferred though, as it would mean that whenever i switch from TV watching (via another set top box, which has audio via its own HDMI connection, which then routes out of the TV's stereo to the amp) to then watch something on XBMC, i would need to physically switch the source on the amp (not possible from remote on the model i have)

ultimately, i cant see my other half agreeing to this! let alone my own idleness Big Grin

additionally, the aim is to replace this amp, with a proper AV Reciever which would then passthrough the audio via HDMI, and on to the TV for the video feed.

but if i can have every device outputting audio over hdmi, then in the short term the due to using the Stereo out of the TV, every source will use the same channel on the amp, and in the longer term, i can simply plug everything into my new AV Reciever.

audio is working for video playback, just not getting audio on the menu sounds and also getting this weird repeated sound as the audio cuts off at the end of playback.

cheers

jingo_man
You've probably tried this already, but I have the same board and no HDMI issues using this ~/.asoundrc.

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
I meant running a cable from your PC to the line-in of your TV (not to your amp). Then there's no need for physical or virtual switching of any kind.
DDM123 - i may try a simpler version of the asound.conf file, to use something similar to what you have tried.
can you confirm that you get the menu sounds? and that at the end of a video playing, the audio goes completely silent? (i.e. you dont get this looped/repeated final "blip" or sound of the track that just played?)

when i look at the Revo-inspired asound.conf file, and reading up on ALSA configs, the "ttable" (which i guess is used for each of the 7.1 audio channels) mappings seem to be different between the two. not sure if this is due to the underlying hardware between the devices being different, or what is being attempted in the config being ultimately different...

LB06 - yes, that would be another simple solution. still hoping for an hdmi-based solution at this point.