Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Video stops outputting if TV is turned off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 running XBMC Live 9.11. When I turn off the TV (usually for the night) I leave the Acer running and when I come back to it, it's no longer outputting the XBMC screen, no sound, no video, doesn't seem to have any response from the remote.

In order to make it work again I have to restart the Acer, not even killing and restarting xbmc-live works.

Any ideas? I've been really stumped by this one for quite a while now. It only happened since I reinstalled after having warranty work done to the Acer a couple months ago. I don't remember having the issue the first time around.

Thanks!

Edit: I am using HDMI for video and sound.
Bump. Any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of and can find on google, such an annoying problem!
use a manual loaded EDID.
Yes, as davilla said; the method of adjusting your xorg.conf file to force the EDID will work.
I use one so I can shut off the video card in a power save mode, yet will still keep XBMC running, especially helps if you use a receiver which doesn't pass through the EDID properly, my old Pioneer did this.

This post will help you to set it up:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685
Thanks! Going to give this a try!
Alright, followed the instructions and here's the new situation:

With the Acer on if I turn the TV off, sometimes it will display video again after 2-3 minutes. Other times it won't until I reboot.

Any more suggestions?
Still stuck unfortunately, I read through that whole post, changed my xorg.conf file around countless times and still no luck.

Can anyone shed some more light on the subject? I found a modeline that is supposed to work for my TV from the modeline database, which is the same as the one I created using the post mentioned above, tried various settings, and still if I turn off my TV I have to reboot my Acer to get it to output video again.

I'm at a complete loss (I'm definitely no pro at linux either), any more help would be awesome Smile
I talked with the vendor of my TV (Vizio vs42lf) and they inform me that in order for the handshake to take place, the computer must be restarted every time because it is a TV not a monitor.

The weird thing is before my Acer died and I rebuilt it, it USED to work fine, no handshaking issues or whatever.

Anyone have any insight on this? Does this make sense?
two words, custom EDID.
Davilla: I followed the steps here

When I run the nvidia-xconfig to extract the edids it says "Found 0 EDIDs..." I'm assuming I'm on the right path, but that is kind of a roadblock it seems. Could you give me any advice? I appreciate your help.
Other than a custom EDID you can tell xorg to ignore all edid tags and throw in your own modelines (note, my config only has the 60hz modes on, since they're the only ones that tv supports). Here's the xorg.conf from the ATV running on a TV that does what yours does (although mine actually sends EDID, it just has to be on).

The "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "UseEDIDFreqs" and "ModeValidation" are probably of the most use... you can google the nvidia x server documentation for information on what each choice does.

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       15 - 70
    VertRefresh     23 - 62
    Option         "DPMS"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
ModeLine "1920x1080_59i" 74.1097 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 +hsync +vsync Interlace
ModeLine "1920x1080_59" 148.3515 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
#ModeLine "1920x1080_24" 74.1756 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
#ModeLine "1920x1080_24" 74.1738 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
Option "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSysmem=1"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
Option      "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True" # we have proper modelines
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
Option         "UseEDIDFreqs"         "False"
    Option         "ModeValidation"       "NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoXServerModes, NoVesaModes"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    Modes "1920x1080_59" "1920x1080_59i" "1920x1080_24"
#    Modes "1920x1080_24"
    EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option          "Composite"     "Disable"
EndSection
gvnmccld Wrote:Davilla: I followed the steps here

When I run the nvidia-xconfig to extract the edids it says "Found 0 EDIDs..." I'm assuming I'm on the right path, but that is kind of a roadblock it seems. Could you give me any advice? I appreciate your help.

You did this ?

Quote:Run an X server with enough verbosity to print out the EDID block
startx -- -logverbose 6
Alright, I found this site that helped me create an edid, and still no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction from here? Thanks!
I did the custom modelines first, which was not working (I also added all of those options with no luck.)

I did run the startx -- -logverbose 6 and tried to extract the edid data from that which did not work and returned the "found 0 edids" message.
You might want to try the ubuntu forums (assuming that's what you're running). The problem you're having isn't specific to xbmc or the atv. My config I posted works for me on my 1080p/60hz tv that doesn't send edid when it's turned off... not sure what else to tell ya.
Pages: 1 2