Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Use a G4 PowerPC Mac Mini as media center and (why not?) a server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all! I have a Mac Mini PPC [email protected] with 1GB RAM. I would like to use as a media center near my tv. I tried xbmc-powerpc for Mac and everything works but I think that I do more if I use Ubuntu.

I bought a IR receiver with a remote controller. Everything work on Mac and also on Ubuntu desktop 10.4 so the first issue is solved.

Questions:

Is the XBMC present in binary for ppc? If not, is possible to compile it easily?

Is possible to install XBMC without install all the desktop (gnome or similar)? My goal is to create a fully automated system that at the boot starts all the services and XBMC as the only interface available where I can easily shutdown or standby the computer.

Is possible to use the apple remote with a compatible irda receiver that I plugged in the usb?

These are all my questions at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help.
i don't think any of us ever tried ppc on linux. but since peeps have managed those lamo ps3 "attempts", i think it should compile.
Well, I've got it to compile, and run
(Ubuntu Maverick - PPC on Mac Mini).

But - it's sucking 100% cpu and running like a dog on the menu's.

can't see anything obvious yet - trying to crank up the debug logs.
(PS - can't see how to attach a log file)..
stevellion Wrote:(PS - can't see how to attach a log file)..

http://pastebin.com/
How did this eve come out?

I am trying to use XBMC on PPC Mac and it Sucks! Sometimes it just quits and I think it is way too buggy.

I would really like to know how it worked out for you.
I tried to do this on a while on PPC Mac Mini. In the end I just gave up and am now running XBMC on a jail-broken ATV2. While the ATV2 is not perfect, it's very affordable and works reasonably well.