Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A few basic questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am very new to this and have searched for hours and come up empty on a few basic questions. Hopefully someone can put me in the right direction.

I have XBMC running on my Acer Revo. I have had it for about 5 months now and it is running great but I would like to take it to the next level.

How do I update to the latest build of XMBC?
Should I update to Dharma?
Where can I get the latest version of Python so I can start downloading scripts?

Thanks for your help.
Knowing which Linux Distro you're running would help.
oy, i don't even understand what you are asking

if its the operating system then it is linux 2.6.31-16-generic #53-ubuntu smp
Sounds like he is running XBMC LIVE or on top of Ubuntu. I would not recommend upgrading until the next official release. You do not appear to have the knowledge of linux to troubleshoot some of the issues you will run into upgrading to SVN builds. If you want to stay stable and functional I'd leave it alone for now. Only try upgrading if you can handle your HTPC being down for several days. I've been down for over a week trying to get things back in order on top of Lucid and even though I'm running and can watch videos again....I still have lots of little issues to sort out. Just a suggestion. As far as learning more about linux, this site is great......just read through some posts and follow some of the guides.......but only if you have the patience. Good Luck!

-hogfan
ok, that sounds good on the upgrade, thanks, I am by far the most computer illiterate person here. I have exactly what you said i have, i saw it on lifehacker and thought it was awesome so I did it myself following the directions. Through a lot of trial and error and questions here, I have it set up where it can do everything I want it to as a media center. my next step is to try to get pandora running on it. Which I have understood I need python, I just can't figure out where to get that, what exact branch to have of it and where to put it.
you should already have python installed, as XBMC uses it for plenty.

follow the steps here and you should be good

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=pandora
hmmm keep getting the same erros.

File /home/xbmc/.xbmc/scripts/my scripts/script.xbmc.pandora/default.py", line 6 in ? inport xbmcaddon
Importerror: no module named xbmcaddon
Uuaww Wrote:How do I update to the latest build of XBMC?

This is something I would like to know as well. I've spent quite some time searching for the answer. It doesn't have to be the latest nightly - just how do I overwrite the current version of XBMC. Or, is there a way to create a 2nd running version on the system so I can trial first.

On my Xbox, I had to switch to another dash so I could release all the XBMC files to overwrite. The only way I can see this as working on the Linuxlive (Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn32696) version is to exit out of XBMC. Strangely, I then get a blank screen so I'm uncertain if this is normal, or if it should fall back to a command line?? And...does it release all the files for overwrite?

I've just built a new box and haven't integrated it into my system yet - still trying to figure it all out before I do. Smile
Bumping instead of making a new thread, What would be the easiest way to update to the latest (or even latest) most stable build. Even if I don't want to do it, I would like to know how and am very confused on that front.

My Current:
operating systemL: linux 2.6.31-16-generic #53 Unbuntu SMP
XBMC 9.11 R26018

I have an Acer Revo that I set up to start up and immeadiately go into XBMC, nothing else starts up on the Revo.