Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVDs won't play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just rebuilt XBMC using Ubuntu 10.04 minimal install (primarily to speed up xbmc). XBMC is plain vanilla at moment. I cannot get the dvd (BD) drive to work at all. Putting a disk in and clicking the play button gives a message that Xbmc has not detected a disk. I put in a symbolic link as suggested elsewhere to /media in the /home/xbmc directory but that doesn't show the disk in the sources either.

Ubuntu doesn't appear to be mounting the dvd at all.

I've also installed w64codecs and libdvdcss2.
What else could I try
Any help is appreciated.
Did you try installing "Ubuntu Restricted Extras"?

If the "(BD)" from your post means your trying to play a Blue Ray disc, as I understand it xbmc doesn't yet have blue ray support.
leadfingers Wrote:Did you try installing "Ubuntu Restricted Extras"?

If the "(BD)" from your post means your trying to play a Blue Ray disc, as I understand it xbmc doesn't yet have blue ray support.

The BD means that the player is a Blueray player, but no I'm not playing a BD disc, but a DVD. I am aware that there are problems playing Blueray in Linux. In my previous install of XBMC, DVDs played just fine Huh

Looking anew this morning, the ubuntu docs at https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/musicvideo...o-dvd.html tell us that DVD support isn't part of the standard Ubuntu build (and certainly not in a minimal install). So I have followed instructions there. I can now get a DVD playing by selecting the softlink I have created in sources to the /media folder. Putting a disc into the drive does not automatically play it (as set up in the Video setup pages. Nor does clicking the play button on the XBMC home page - still get message that it cannot detect media.

So, a partial solution - Anyone have any other suggestions to get this functioning correctly please?
According to the Ubuntu forum, not automounting an optical drive was due to a bug in Lucid and has been fixed. An update should fix this for you.
For more details
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...omount+DVD
leadfingers Wrote:According to the Ubuntu forum, not automounting an optical drive was due to a bug in Lucid and has been fixed. An update should fix this for you.
For more details
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...omount+DVD

Unfortunately not. The bugfix doesn't appear to work.

I installed the hal library (sudo apt-get install hal), [according to the thread, the fix is now in the updates repository so no need to link to the proposed repository ] made the amendment to start hal as described in the thread but still no joy.

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it. So far I've got a system that runs faster than my previous install 'cus I'm not loading a window manager. I'd like to keep it that way but would really like to be able to stuff a DVD or CD in the drive and have it play. Not too much to ask eh Laugh
Do you have libdvdcss2 installed ?
try to run xine ...
linuxluemmel Wrote:Do you have libdvdcss2 installed ?
try to run xine ...

yes, libdvdcss2 is installed

xine requires a window manager - no window manager installed

AFAIK, libdvdcss2 is required to play encrypted DVDs. That's not the problem. The problem (as it currently stands) is getting Ubuntu 10.04 to autoload digital media (CD or DVD) so that XBMC can then play them.
I've been having troubles with DVD in XBMC too, but I don't even get to see the play disc item in the menu (aeon) or the play icon (other skins).

I've read most articles I could find, ran the necessary items to get DVD working in Ubuntu and they play fine in VLC but nothing changed for XBMC. When 'autostart DVD on insertion' is active I get a popup to browse video, music, files in XBMC with the DVD title on top but none of them leads me to playing the DVD.

Could it be that XBMC cannot decide on the type of media inserted and might be related to the way the cd/dvd is mounted in 10.04, I understood this is different from the previous versions? Could it be it expects something else in order to activate the play disc icon?

I'm using XBMC 9.11 r26018 in Ubuntu 10.04 and it makes no difference running XBMC standalone or within GNOME. DVD automount in Ubuntu works.
Hi,

I am completely new here, so I will say Hi first, I've just installed Ubuntu and XBMC about an hour ago, this is the first time I've used XBMC, and also have a limited knowledge of Linux so please bare with me.

I see the audio disk mounts on the desktop, but when I press play in XBMC it tells me no cannot detect disk.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Thanks
jwarder Wrote:Hi,

I am completely new here, so I will say Hi first, I've just installed Ubuntu and XBMC about an hour ago, this is the first time I've used XBMC, and also have a limited knowledge of Linux so please bare with me.

I see the audio disk mounts on the desktop, but when I press play in XBMC it tells me no cannot detect disk.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Thanks

know issue, looking into it. you might want to glance around at the other threads, there's already a few about this.
mod-u-lar Wrote:I've been having troubles with DVD in XBMC too, but I don't even get to see the play disc item in the menu (aeon) or the play icon (other skins).

I've read most articles I could find, ran the necessary items to get DVD working in Ubuntu and they play fine in VLC but nothing changed for XBMC. When 'autostart DVD on insertion' is active I get a popup to browse video, music, files in XBMC with the DVD title on top but none of them leads me to playing the DVD.

Could it be that XBMC cannot decide on the type of media inserted and might be related to the way the cd/dvd is mounted in 10.04, I understood this is different from the previous versions? Could it be it expects something else in order to activate the play disc icon?

I'm using XBMC 9.11 r26018 in Ubuntu 10.04 and it makes no difference running XBMC standalone or within GNOME. DVD automount in Ubuntu works.

I'm running the same version of xbmc & Ubuntu with the same problem so you're not alone. I know the latest stable version doesn't have this issue. Am going to update and see if this doesn't solve my remote problem as well.
cd/dvd play/eject in karmic works fine. That means Ubuntu 10.04 is causing an issue. I don't have a Ubuntu 10.04 install. I suspect something changed with dbus in 10.04.

EDIT: I'm going to need to see xbmc.log and dmesg when trying to get a cd/dvd to play in XBMC under 10.04. Use a pastebin site like http://www.pastebin.com.
Well make a liar out of me!
I just ran all the 10.04 updates, installed the latest stable version, and nothing, same problem. Ripped that out and installed svn-33122, same thing! I did manage to get a DVD playing by making /media/name_of_DVD the source and clicking on VideoTS.info. Thought it had froze up but after a minute it started up and brought me to the DVD menu. Flaky workaround but watchable.

Edited:

r33122 xbmc.log
r33122 dmesg

r26018 xbmc.log
r26018 dmesg
what should I change the operating system to?
I've installed karmic and it plays CD's/DVD's ok, but how do you rip CD's the Wiki doesn't really explain it, it looks like there is a CD ripping option but I can't find it?

Thanks,
Jack
Pages: 1 2