Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sams Image - Questions and problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well thank you for all of your help guys, I've just about got the system working the way I want it to. There are still a couple of problems however.

1. I don't seem to be able to copy a file to the hard drive over SSH. I have checked the permissions of the folder where I am trying to copy the file to but it says that everyone has read and write access. I am logged in as xbmc if that makes any difference... It comes up with this error when I try... http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6762/sdsdffsd.png. And it isnt just cyberduck that brings up the error, I have tried through terminal and fungu as well. It seems I can copy things off the drive but not able to copy things onto it.

2. I am still unsure about how to get the SVN repo installer so that I can download plugins etc.

If anyone could help me out with these two issues that would be most appreciated.
tooshna Wrote:Well thank you for all of your help guys, I've just about got the system working the way I want it to. There are still a couple of problems however.

1. I don't seem to be able to copy a file to the hard drive over SSH. I have checked the permissions of the folder where I am trying to copy the file to but it says that everyone has read and write access. I am logged in as xbmc if that makes any difference... It comes up with this error when I try... http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6762/sdsdffsd.png. And it isnt just cyberduck that brings up the error, I have tried through terminal and fungu as well. It seems I can copy things off the drive but not able to copy things onto it.

2. I am still unsure about how to get the SVN repo installer so that I can download plugins etc.

If anyone could help me out with these two issues that would be most appreciated.

1) where are you trying to copy to ?

2) addons replaces SVN repo installer.
1. I am trying to copy the files to the external drive attached the the ATV. So I log in as xbmc/xbmc where I then navigate to '/' from there I go to /media/MediaHD/External Media/ and that's where I cannot copy anything. I can see all my movies, I can pull them off but I can't put any new ones on there via SSH.

2. Where are the addons? I have looked under every menu option. When I go to Video > plugins > is has the various folders for programs, videos, pictures etc but they're all empty. No idea where to get the addons from.
tooshna Wrote:1. I am trying to copy the files to the external drive attached the the ATV. So I log in as xbmc/xbmc where I then navigate to '/' from there I go to /media/MediaHD/External Media/ and that's where I cannot copy anything. I can see all my movies, I can pull them off but I can't put any new ones on there via SSH.

2. Where are the addons? I have looked under every menu option. When I go to Video > plugins > is has the various folders for programs, videos, pictures etc but they're all empty. No idea where to get the addons from.

1) "ls -l" in a directory will show permissions, do it and post the results here.

2) system -> plugins. you must enable a plugin to see it.
1)
total 68896
-rw------- 1 xbmc xbmc 174571520 2010-08-21 06:33 core.6134
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Documents
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbmc xbmc 26 2009-12-17 03:04 Examples -> /usr/share/example-content
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-19 12:12 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2010-08-21 07:23 Videos

2) There is no option for plugins in 'system'
See here: http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/70/photoch.jpg
tooshna Wrote:1)

total 68896
-rw------- 1 xbmc xbmc 174571520 2010-08-21 06:33 core.6134
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Documents
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbmc xbmc 26 2009-12-17 03:04 Examples -> /usr/share/example-content
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-17 17:55 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-12-19 12:12 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2010-08-21 07:23 Videos

2) There is no option for plugins in 'system'

1) if you have a problem with /media/MediaHD/ , why do you show me some place else ?

2) system -> addons

3) include the first few lines of xbmc.log so we can see exactly which version you are running.
davilla Wrote:1) if you have a problem with /media/MediaHD/ , why do you show me some place else ?

Good question. I SSH into that directory and no matter where I am inside the directory of folders and I send the command 'ls -l' it always gives me that same information...

davilla Wrote:2) system -> addons

As you can see from the picture there is no option for addons

davilla Wrote:3) include the first few lines of xbmc.log so we can see exactly which version you are running.

I can't for the life of me find the xbmc.log in this new system structure. But I looked at the system info on the tv and it says "XBMC Pre 10.5 r28256 (compiled: Mar 2010)
tooshna Wrote:Good question. I SSH into that directory and no matter where I am inside the directory of folders and I send the command 'ls -l' it always gives me that same information...

As you can see from the picture there is no option for addons

I can't for the life of me find the xbmc.log in this new system structure. But I looked at the system info on the tv and it says "XBMC Pre 10.5 r28256 (compiled: Mar 2010)

1) let me introduce you to "cd", (change directory). ssh in, cd to that dir, ls -l. If you are using WinSCP, make sure you are also using pytty. WinSCP will do one and only one command over ssh. You want a ssh session, not issue commands over ssh.

xbmc.log is always at ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log . It's a hidden directory (there's a "." in front), to see hidden directories, ls -la

r28256 is ancient history, no addons there. Update.
davilla Wrote:r28256 is ancient history, no addons there. Update.

Oh great, something else I have no idea about how to do
tooshna Wrote:Oh great, something else I have no idea about how to do

It's in the threads on the forums. Several guides.
How do I change the permissions of the 'External Media' folder so that I can SSH copy/delete files?

I tried chown root /media/MediaHD and it says

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ chown root /media/MediaHD
chown: changing ownership of `/media/MediaHD': Read-only file system

What else can I do?
Why don't you use something like cyberduck to upload files. Its very easy.
You need to mount the filesystem read/write to change ownership and permissions:

mount -uw /

But why would you change it to root? I would just change it to the user frontrow and then use Cyberduck or Filezilla to upload files to the folder.

Best,
Randy.
garyi Wrote:Why don't you use something like cyberduck to upload files. Its very easy.

Well I have been using cyberduck and it worked fine, until I used Sams image on a usb stick, and now it doesnt seem to want to let me transfer files onto my external hard drive connected to the ATV
Toshna - here are my instructions for updating to current SVN. They should work for you. And yes - it sounds like you need to remount that drive as Read/Write.

If it keeps mounting Read-Only on boot, have a look at adding it to your /etc/fstab file - that's what determines which drives get mounted, where, and with which options.

And since you're running Sam's (or Pin's) image, don't chown to root - you're best to either chown to xbmc, or use "chmod o+rw" which will give the "others" group read/write access. Make sure you do this on the folder you're trying to mount as well as the files within.

Since you've overwritten the regular FrontRow drive insinde the ATV, you're good to just chown to xbmc.
Pages: 1 2