Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TobiasTheCommie Wrote:could you go to this url and put a copy of it on pastebin

http://pastebin.com/dMnL9R2R
procrastinator Wrote:http://pastebin.com/dMnL9R2R

Sadly the information isn't exposed in the API.

Just a note.

The API should be a lot less prone to break than doing the plugin as a scraper. So thus we use the API for everything we can. The only scraper we currently have in our plugin is "Suggestions for you". And i would rather not make any that aren't "needed", specifically because it will make the plugin fail more often.
No worries. Thanks for taking a look at it anyway.
procrastinator Wrote:Hey, just wanted to suggest the search against a user/channel feature again.

Thanks again for all the hard work. Great job on this plugin Smile

Sorry, i might have misunderstood.

If you make a normal search, you can bring up the context menu and click "refine to user" and only search for videos on that specific user.

So, you can search for "Miley Cyrus" and refine to the "VEVO" user.
Oh, Superb! I totally missed that. It's perfect, thanks!
procrastinator Wrote:Oh, Superb! I totally missed that. It's perfect, thanks!

So you would also like a "Refine to channel" in the context menu right?

ETA: In youtube terminology a Channel is a users uploads. so a refine to channel is going to be the same as refine to user as far as i can see.
Yep. As far as I can see searching for videos by a particular user is the same as searching a channel. Sorry, maybe I should've said one or the other rather than sayings "user/channel"
TobiasTheCommie: Have you reached a point where the currently supported features are working as expected? I'd love to have this in the official repo for the beta phase of Dharma.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:TobiasTheCommie: Have you reached a point where the currently supported features are working as expected? I'd love to have this in the official repo for the beta phase of Dharma.

TheUni

We are going to put the finishing touches on rc1 right now, and will release it in a few hours.

Unless we get any show stoppers, we will do the final on friday the 3rd, and make a request for a pull to your repo.

Is that going to be in time for the beta release?
I'm preparing the beta1 release announcement as we speak. But the good news is, addons aren't related to release, so we can add any time and beta1 users will see it as soon as it's in our repo Smile

TheUni
Another week, another release. As we're nearing the end of the plugin beta, this is the first and hopefully only Release Candidate (version number is 0.9.9). Barring any major show-stoppers final will be released on friday (version 1.0.0).

Gennereally this release contains mostly bugfixes, but there are also a couple of new features:
- Added option to Show/Hide specific folders in the main folder tree
- Added support for selection of download quality seperate from playback quality
- Added seperate option to disable thumbnail-view on confluence, since this will fail on other skins.
- Added "Future proofing" of download code.

The new release is as always available here: http://code.google.com/p/youtubexbmc/downloads/list

NOTE: We've had reports that install from zip, will sometimes fail to detect a new version. If you have trouble installing through this method, extract the zip folder and copy the contents to the path listed at:
http://code.google.com/p/youtubexbmc/
We hope you enjoy it.

And as always, we want to hear reports on all bugs and crashes. This includes if you get a really ugly error message/notification in the bottom right corner.

Sincerely
Tobias
I'm a first time user of this alternate addon (and also today of dharma beta 1 as well). I'm pleased to see something for youtube that actually works (sort of, see below). I'm very happy to see support for subscriptions too. Why isn't this the official youtube addon, given that the other one basically doesn't work at all??

now for the bad news. although it logs into my account and searches fine, and begins to load videos, so far i've had such bad buffering problems that i gave up. it will buffer for a minute on a short video (with at least 4-5 mbps dl speed), play for like 5 seconds, then buffer again for 30 seconds or more. needless to say nothing is watchable that way. i'd rather have it queue downloads in the background and come back to them...

I don't see anything getting cached to the downloads folder I set. where's the cache (on OS X)?

I tried setting preferred qual to 1080 and 720p with same results.
ctawn Wrote:Why isn't this the official youtube addon, given that the other one basically doesn't work at all??

Basically we're working towards, that goal but we want to give the plugin ample testing time before we release the final, and request a pull into the add-on repository. But rest assured it is coming Nod

ctawn Wrote:so far i've had such bad buffering problems that i gave up. it will buffer for a minute on a short video (with at least 4-5 mbps dl speed), play for like 5 seconds, then buffer again for 30 seconds or more. needless to say nothing is watchable that way. i'd rather have it queue downloads in the background and come back to them...

I don't see anything getting cached to the downloads folder I set. where's the cache (on OS X)?
The buffering issues is out of our control, when watching SD videos YouTube auto-magically throttles the upload, I'm guessing this is done to manage the probably insane bandwidth requirements that site faces. Sadly this throttling is in my experience too harsh and often degrades the viewing experience. Sadly there isn't really anything we can do about this as YouTube performs multiple checks on the request url to prevent link manipulation (yes we looked into this at one point Big Grin).

Regarding your suggestion of a background download and playback feature, I'm not sure we can do this in the current structure as triggering the "play" action blocks any further action in xbmc's GUI (I believe this is by design in xbmc), the best we could do would be to create a download and watch function. But that would force viewer to wait while the download completes, so I'm not really fond of the idea.. Oo

ctawn Wrote:I tried setting preferred qual to 1080 and 720p with same results.
720p should provide a better streaming experience on videos provided in that quality (at least that's my experience sitting on a 20mbit connection), since YouTube doesn't perform the same throttling on those url's. If you experience the same problems with 720p videos it might be local conditions or your ISP that's the bottleneck. Sad
I still can't login to a youtube account using the latest plugin. Always times out with an error.

I even got me wife to try with her youtube account Sad I get an IOS error i think. Have enabled debug log but couldn't find it or would have submitted it.