Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would really love it if there were a choice for the user to select the video quality to play and an indication of what quality (240p, 360p, 720p, 1080p etc) the currently playing video is. Maybe some extra info like bps and fps would be great too.
Nektarios Wrote:I would really love it if there were a choice for the user to select the video quality to play and an indication of what quality (240p, 360p, 720p, 1080p etc) the currently playing video is. Maybe some extra info like bps and fps would be great too.
Check the plugin settings here you can select between sd only (480p and below), up to 720p or up to 1080p.

Information about the currently playing video can be found by pressing the info button on you're remote. That brings up the standard xbmc info displaying basic video info like author, resolution, sound channels etc, more detailed information can be found through the overlay button (working from a mac with a keyboard and currently without a remote controlled xbmc solution I can't remember the standard key mapping, but maybe someone in this forum can help Smile ).
Thank you Henrik for reminding me about the overlay thats exactly what i was talkimg about.

But still I would like to select which quality i would
Want to playback by some form of a selection or in the video settings that would be nice wont you think?
Nektarios Wrote:But still I would like to select which quality i would
Want to playback by some form of a selection or in the video settings that would be nice wont you think?

I believe i answered this before, it should already be possible with the Max video quality, in the plugin settings (see the picture below):

This option specifies the highest video quality that the plugin will playback if available.

Or are you looking for something else?
I look for something else allright, i look for a way to choose which quality you wish to play right from the view list per video stream. For example by pressing the context on a video a context menu would pop up, listing the available qualities e.g. Play 720p, play 420p etc.

That would be nice because there are sometimes some 1080p/720p streams that they just dont play for bandwidth issues, not client side but server side, so by choosing the lower quality right from the view list would be time saving and frustration damping.

And also a little indication on the view list under the filenames of the videos indicating the highest quality available for the respective video would be very useful as it would help to discern the several versions of the same video that different people upload and sometimes you get when you do a search.

One more suggestion i would like to make is to have the video names in the view list in 2 lines not one so you can see the whole names without having to wait several seconds to see for example what part number it is.

Thanks!
Wasn't sure if you saw this issue that i submitted.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=601...tcount=203
danz0l Wrote:Hi guys.

Had a problem with some 4od stuff that uses libRTMP using the latest plugin. I regular watch a program on there called coach trip and i've had some sound streaming issues. I've submitted a bug log so you can have a look and see what the issue is. Some episodes have sound and some don't. I've checked them online through youtube and they play perfectly. Video on all aspects works as it should

http://pastebin.ca/1936381

I saw it, just had to look it over first.

Honestly, once we hand over the url to XBMC (with verifier), it is out of our plugins hands. I don't see anything wrong in the log, what so ever.

Does it always fail on the same video?
Does it always fail at the same spot?
Can you find a non 4oD rtmpe video that fails?
It could well be XBMC at fault to be honest as i downloaded an MP4 trailer today and that didn't have sound either.

Such a shame as your plugin works perfectly and the video plays.

Yes its always the same files that fail
danz0l Wrote:It could well be XBMC at fault to be honest as i downloaded an MP4 trailer today and that didn't have sound either.

Such a shame as your plugin works perfectly and the video plays.

Yes its always the same files that fail

Are you fast-forwarding through theses streams? I've had some problems with xbmc loosing the audio when I fast-forward through web streams. It also often gets hung up trying to buffer certain streams. It seems stream specific though prolly something to do with the encoding choosen by the provider and maybe xbmc's ffmpeg integration lacking in that respect.

Does the mp4 trailer you downloaded work in VLC?

I also look over the log you're sending and its getting a lot of audio Discontinuity errors just before playback is stopped:
09:00:13 T:2827996016 M:1350561792 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:1081439.909297, should be:2497145.129758, error:1415705.220461

So my guess would be that this is player specific to xbmc.. Sad
@Nektarios
I can see your problem, but basically our problem is that we don't know which quality a video is available in before the user request's it. By default the youtube api's that we are using only give us a video id, some description of the video and a thumbnail.

Nektarios Wrote:.. a little indication on the view list under the filenames of the videos indicating the highest quality available for the respective video would be very useful as it would help to discern the several versions of the same video that different people upload and sometimes you get when you do a search.

Fetching stream information from the api would require an extra request for each video which makes the performance of the plugin far too slow and frustrating for my temper (we tried this and it was just horrible). As an added frustration the api will refuse to give out the information for non-embeddable videos requiring us to scrape each video homepage for that information, an even slower proposition compared to just using the api.

Another problem would be how to feed that information back to xbmc, as far as I know this just isn't possible and would require changes to both the confluence skin and xbmc's python api (probably breaking all other plugins)

Nektarios Wrote:... I look for a way to choose which quality you wish to play right from the view list per video stream. For example by pressing the context on a video a context menu would pop up, listing the available qualities e.g. Play 720p, play 420p etc.

That would be nice because there are sometimes some 1080p/720p streams that they just don't play for bandwidth issues, not client side but server side, so by choosing the lower quality right from the view list would be time saving and frustration damping.

Hmm we could probably make an option in advanced settings that enables you to choose video quality pr video. As we don't know what quality the video is in this would just be a guess but there's no reason why you can't limit it. Of course as this will clutter up the interface (we already have enough context menu items for videos) this behavior would need an option in advanced setting under plugin settings to be enabled and would by default be set to off.

Nektarios Wrote:One more suggestion i would like to make is to have the video names in the view list in 2 lines not one so you can see the whole names without having to wait several seconds to see for example what part number it is.
Yeah thought about that one too, it is kinda annoying to wait for the text to scroll by, but it's also out of our hands and up to the skin coders, don't really know if xbmc has a multi-line text control that can do the job and make it look good Huh
HenrikDK Wrote:Are you fast-forwarding through theses streams? I've had some problems with xbmc loosing the audio when I fast-forward through web streams. It also often gets hung up trying to buffer certain streams. It seems stream specific though prolly something to do with the encoding choosen by the provider and maybe xbmc's ffmpeg integration lacking in that respect.

Does the mp4 trailer you downloaded work in VLC?

I also look over the log you're sending and its getting a lot of audio Discontinuity errors just before playback is stopped:
09:00:13 T:2827996016 M:1350561792 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:1081439.909297, should be:2497145.129758, error:1415705.220461

So my guess would be that this is player specific to xbmc.. Sad

No no fast forwarding and the trailer came from youtube too so maybe its a new audio compression they are using ?
Quote:No no fast forwarding and the trailer came from youtube too so maybe its a new audio compression they are using ?

Well it doesn't look to be a new audio compression, basically its aac which i believe they've been using for ages:

09:00:04 T:2859465584 M:1355841536 INFO: ffmpeg[AA6FFB70]: Stream #0.0: Video: h264, yuv420p, 512x288 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 494 kb/s, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc
09:00:04 T:2859465584 M:1355841536 INFO: ffmpeg[AA6FFB70]: Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 22050 Hz, stereo, s16, 62 kb/s

Did you try to playback the mp4 trailer using vlc Huh
i dont have vlc on the xbmclive system but did try on vlc for windows and it played perfectly. wasn't an mp4 trailer though, got that wrong, it was an FLV one
HenrikDK Wrote:@Nektarios
I can see your problem, but basically our problem is[...]

I see, so in the end none of my suggestions are something that we can control.

Thanks for your answers Henrik.
Nektarios Wrote:I see, so in the end none of my suggestions are something that we can control.

Thanks for your answers Henrik.

No that's not correct Smile, this one is currently on the TODO for version 2:

Quote:... I look for a way to choose which quality you wish to play right from the view list per video stream. For example by pressing the context on a video a context menu would pop up, listing the available qualities e.g. Play 720p, play 420p etc.

The others are practically impossible though Oo