Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HenrikDK Wrote:You sure there's not a firewall thats blocking between xbmc and your gateway?

Login still works fine here, and the 403 makes it seem like something is preventing the plugin from accessing google via ssl.

I do have a server sitting between the XBMC box and the internet at large that does NATing, but no firewalling. SSL logins to various websites work just fine from everywhere on the network..
zpanderson Wrote:I tried adding this to advancedsettings.xml, but I don't see any added dialog when paused. Is there something else I have to do?

You should notice the indicator bar now fills up with a different colour and becomes solid much like viewing Youtube on a pc, additionally the codec info dialogue (the o key on the keyboard?) has buffer value. Possibly skin dependent (also works in other addons which support it).
there's not a new dialog, there's new info IN THE dialog.

and you must use a build from... let's say 1st of may or later to be safe
pike Wrote:there's not a new dialog, there's new info IN THE dialog.

and you must use a build from... let's say 1st of may or later to be safe

Haha, i'm a dumbass... thought I had installed one of the nightly builds but apparently I was still using an old one. Works great now!
403 Forbidden is a response, I don't see how I would get a response if I had a firewall blocking me from getting a request through. And obviously I'm getting information back.

Also, if it matters..

My workstation connects wirelessly to a wireless access point that is connected to my server... The XBMC box has a wired network card that goes to a wireless hub running DD-WRT (SPI Firewall is disabled) which also connects to the access point connected to my server. From my workstation, I can ssh to the XBMC box, run lynx and connect to https://mail.google.com where I can login just fine using two-factor authentication and the whole 9 yards. It complains about the lack of javascript support, but I can read my email fine.

Clear all the cookies and cache (quit lynx and restart it), go to http://www.youtube.com and click sign in, it takes my username and password and... AH HA! It also wants the same two factor authentication that gmail wants.

So, I probably need some functionality to enter the passcode it text messages me with. That's probably where it is bombing out.
That was it. The youtube plugin is incompatible with 2-factor authentication. I disabled it and the plugin works like a champ.

However, I cannot leave it that way - 2factor auth is a requirement for me.

For now, I'll make a second account for youtube.. but someone should probably figure out how to do authentication with the 2factor system.

http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/2.0/...login.html

Going from there to http://apiblog.youtube.com/2011/03/clien...-fail.html, I fall into the category of scenario 3. I'll add an application specific password for now. I'll prod the OAuth and AuthSub stuff tomorrow; hopefully one of those provides a suitable solution.
Adding this in because I have been in the situation before where I'll spend a month troubleshooting something and constantly finding people asking the same questions I do, but never finding an answer....

With 2factor authentication enabled, I successfully set up an application specific password (google makes it easy for you to find help n how to do this - if you were smart enough to setup 2fact auth, you'll find where to add app specific passwords) and got the youtube plugin working with that.

Awesome sauce.

Updating the plugin to OAuth is still not a bad idea, though. ClientLogin is recognized by google as being buggy, prone to problems, and deprecated.
stout Wrote:Adding this in because I have been in the situation before where I'll spend a month troubleshooting something and constantly finding people asking the same questions I do, but never finding an answer....

With 2factor authentication enabled, I successfully set up an application specific password (google makes it easy for you to find help n how to do this - if you were smart enough to setup 2fact auth, you'll find where to add app specific passwords) and got the youtube plugin working with that.

Awesome sauce.

Updating the plugin to OAuth is still not a bad idea, though. ClientLogin is recognized by google as being buggy, prone to problems, and deprecated.

Hi,

from my own testing using application specific passwords break the scraper part of the plugin (YouTube recommendes and so forth) since google has banned those from its web login (at-least they had last time i checked)

We had recently gone over this and dismissed using oauth 2 due to the problems we perceived this would give 2 factor authentication user, but those seem to be workable at-least.

The switch to Oauth would still not alleviate the central privacy issues that users might have, as we would need to script the entire process like we do with the vimeo login (Not all platforms have a web browser available, and even if they did navigating a web browser with your remote is a nightmare).

The plugins login issues are in my experience limited to ssl problems with the python distribution that xbmc includes on windows, on osx and ubuntu these problems are non-existent. That being said I'll look into oauth 2, but it's gonna require a major reworking of the current login code.
so is all this authentication stuff the problem with the atv2? Sorry jsut dont understand it. I was able to login to youtube on my atv2, took several tries and then it logged me out and couldnt do it again. great plugin when its working!
rflores2323 Wrote:so is all this authentication stuff the problem with the atv2? Sorry jsut dont understand it. I was able to login to youtube on my atv2, took several tries and then it logged me out and couldnt do it again. great plugin when its working!

Basically its a problem with the version of python xbmc ships, we're getting urllib errors when we try to hit the google authentication url. and for some reason some of the python builds have a hard time negotiation a ssl connection with google. We're hopeing it will get better when we switch to an external python version in eden, but theres not much we can do until then.
This plugin is in the Get add-on for XBMC correct? I want to know that I'm downloading the correct one cause when I try to launch a video with the Acceleration check on my ATV2. The vid would load then crash back to the ATV2 screen. When I turn off the acceleration it run fines but it is very choppy.
IPG37 Wrote:This plugin is in the Get add-on for XBMC correct? I want to know that I'm downloading the correct one cause when I try to launch a video with the Acceleration check on my ATV2. The vid would load then crash back to the ATV2 screen. When I turn off the acceleration it run fines but it is very choppy.

We're in the addon repository if that's what you mean, if you're having playback problems (seems like it's related to the special hardware acceleration that was implemented on atv2 and other ios devices) that would be an xbmc issue as we don't control playback we just tell what url its supposed to play.
HenrikDK Wrote:The plugins login issues are in my experience limited to ssl problems with the python distribution that xbmc includes on windows, on osx and ubuntu these problems are non-existent. That being said I'll look into oauth 2, but it's gonna require a major reworking of the current login code.

I'm on Ubuntu, I had ssl problems due to the 2 factor auth. Since it's a 2factor issue, I suspect you're going to have problems with ClientLogin on _every_ platform, regardless of what python version you use.

Yeah, it would require a major rewrite, but I believe it's pretty much necessary.

As far as navigating a web browser, I agree, that would be poop. But I don't see why urllib can't get all the necessary information from google, then present a dialog box to put 6 digits into to finish out the authentication.

Critical mission at work is complete so I actually have stuff to get rolling again, or I'd mess with it today. It'll have to wait until sunday... I'll see exactly what is required to make OAuth work and possibly toss in a patch in a few weeks.
stout Wrote:I'm on Ubuntu, I had ssl problems due to the 2 factor auth. Since it's a 2factor issue, I suspect you're going to have problems with ClientLogin on _every_ platform, regardless of what python version you use.

Yeah, it would require a major rewrite, but I believe it's pretty much necessary.

As far as navigating a web browser, I agree, that would be poop. But I don't see why urllib can't get all the necessary information from google, then present a dialog box to put 6 digits into to finish out the authentication.

Critical mission at work is complete so I actually have stuff to get rolling again, or I'd mess with it today. It'll have to wait until sunday... I'll see exactly what is required to make OAuth work and possibly toss in a patch in a few weeks.

I wouldn't categorise you problems as related to the ssl issues experience by most windows users. The plugin simply doesn't support the extra login step required by 2 factor authentication. The issues with using 2 factor authentication and client login are described by google on their api blog regarding client login and I've even mentioned how to use 2 factor authentication earlier in this thread. http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=788...tcount=869

That being said a patch would probably speed up things and is more than welcome Smile.
HenrikDK Wrote:I wouldn't categorise you problems as related to the ssl issues experience by most windows users. The plugin simply doesn't support the extra login step required by 2 factor authentication. The issues with using 2 factor authentication and client login are described by google on their api blog regarding client login and I've even mentioned how to use 2 factor authentication earlier in this thread. http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=788...tcount=869

That being said a patch would probably speed up things and is more than welcome Smile.

Didn't see it, sorry! I just did a google search and found something in the first few pages of this thread that were tangentially related so I went for it.

Do we have a public certificate submitted to Google yet, or should I plan on doing that myself? If you don't know what I'm talking about, the answer is probably that I need to do that Smile