Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Managing Network Settings by SSH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have installed a version of XBMC on an Ubuntu server box that is connected to my TV by a long HDMI cable. I know it all works just fine but need to enable the web server setting in the network settings page so I can use my iPhone to control it.

The problem I have is that it means dragging the server out of its cupboard under the stairs, finding suitable cables and a spare keyboard so I can change the settings. Whilst this is not the biggest problem in the world, I was wondering if I can turn this setting on in a config file somewhere via SSH? It would save me a lot of hassle and save me upsetting the wife by having cables all over the floor again for a couple of hours!
twizzle Wrote:I have installed a version of XBMC on an Ubuntu server box that is connected to my TV by a long HDMI cable. I know it all works just fine but need to enable the web server setting in the network settings page so I can use my iPhone to control it.
Why exactly you want to do that? To control your XBMC using iPhone (or over the network) you don't need to enable system wide web server (httpd/apache) but the web services within the XBMC, which provided by XBMC itself. You can do that System > Settings > Network > Services > Enable HTTP, which can be done using your remote on your TV screen. Sorry, if I didn't get you at all. Cheers!!
well you can use your remote control that you use to control xbmc to enable these settings if you don't want to pull the keyboard out

as far as using ssh I have no idea I would assume so but i have no idea what files need changing

-=Jason=-
ssh to you server
cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata
vi guisettings.xml

search for "webserver" and edit as required..

I *think* that will work, and you might need to reboot for it to pick up the changes.

or

you might have to connect to the sqlite database and change the settings there.
As others have said.. its a gui (graphical user interface) setting so using your remote is easiest. go settings > network or something like that and enable it.

SSH can be used as suggested above but i cannot see a reason to do it this way unless you are away from your box.
(2010-08-24, 15:18)Pvt_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]ssh to you server
cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata
vi guisettings.xml

search for "webserver" and edit as required..

Thanks! This worked perfectly for me. Needed to setup a friend remotely, and this was a much better solution than trying to walk him through the gui.

Further proof that old threads are still useful.