Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video calibration and view mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've got a couple of questions about the video calibration settings. First my TV's resolution is 1280x720@50Hz. I followed the wiki and used a ruler to get the the pixel ratio correct however now videos that have an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 now have black bars (about 2cm) at the top and bottom of the screen when using "normal' as the view mode setting. Should I leave the setting alone and live with the black bars or would the correct thing to do be change the view mode? If I select "Original Size" Zoom amount changes to 1.12 and pixel ratio stays at 1.00, this fills the screen by cropping the picture a fair bit. If I select "stretch 16:9" Zoom amount stays the same but pixel ratio changes to 0.94 this also fills the screen but with no cropping. The other setting I've tried is the "Allow error in aspect ratio to minimise black bars" if I set it to 6% the video fills the screen. Out of these options should I be selecting one over the other if my aim is the display the video as it was intended to be viewed?

Thanks
It depends. If you're happy with the picture when the pixel ratio is left unchanged in calibration then don't worry about it.

There's essentially no difference whatsoever between altering the pixel ratio in calibration and altering it while playing the video - they're just multiplied up.

On a reasonably new television you shouldn't have to calibrate at all - nowadays they all have no overscan, and are normally close enough to 1:1 pixel ratio.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thank you for explaining Jonathan,

My TV set is a couple of years old so I've had to adjust the overscan but I'll leave pixel ratio alone as I can see no difference between the two.

Thanks