Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live Dharma Beta1] see some errors flash by during boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just clean installed Dharma beta 1, and all is going great! Love how much faster it is (about 10-15 second boot time now instead of 22 on my SSD) However I noticed that there are about 5 error messages that seem to flash by super-fast during the boot process. It doesn't seem to affect anything, as XBMC loads, audio and video all work fine, etc. Is there anything I can run to go back and try and figure out what these messages are?
if the error shown is like:

Code:
GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

unfortunately it's an Ubuntu bug.
Quote:GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Yes, I have seen that one.
There is also another error displaying a number of resolutions that does not exist. It is early on.
1024x768
..etc
thats one of them!. However, shortly after the bios loads, I want to say when grub is running or something, i see 4 REALLY short messages flash up on the screen... I've tried hitting PAUSE on the keyboard, but it doesn't stop the screen. I'll try rebooting a few times to see if I can read what they're saying. I went through all the logs in the /var/log folder, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Like I said, they're probably benign as everything seems to be running great, and much much faster Smile
Quote:i see 4 REALLY short messages flash up on the screen...

I think this is the:
Quote:1024x999
999x999
999x999
999x999
and some text that they are unknow or non existing.
I got rid of the errors by editing /etc/default/grub and removing the resolutions my tv doesn't support. eg. Near the bottom of the file,

i changed the line to

GRUB_GFXMODE="1920x1080x32"

Saved then ran

sudo update-grub

sudo reboot

cheers

Edit: This also fixed my problem of not being able to access the terminal after exiting xbmc.
Excellent!
Quote:Edit: This also fixed my problem of not being able to access the terminal after exiting xbmc.
Hm, I guess that explains why grub didnt look good in virtualbox and I couldnt exit xbmc correctly....it only accept standard resolution.
Evanrich Wrote:i see 4 REALLY short messages flash up on the screen...

that's grub2 getting mad with resolution; as harryzimm as pointed out you have to find your optimal resolution and amend the grub cfg accordingly.

PS: you can amend your signature now since you are using Dharma Beta1 Wink
Hmmm just logged on to say the exact same thing!

I have 4 errors but they flash up so quick I cant see them.

My ION2 wont boot ether.... it gets to XBMC and the dots and thats it screen goes blank and I have to reboot...

Mrs is watching blinking TV now so I'll have to wait to test further.... I've blown a win7 64bit install that worked fine so I know the hardware is cool...

Is there any known issues with ION2/SSD?
Quote:My ION2 wont boot ether.... it gets to XBMC and the dots and thats it screen goes blank and I have to reboot...

How long did you wait? GRUB2 does not work well with some ION. Wait 2-3minutes at least.
BTW, someone will probably get pist that you post a secoend topic in someone elses thread...
vikjon0 Wrote:How long did you wait? GRUB2 does not work well with some ION. Wait 2-3minutes at least.
BTW, someone will probably get pist that you post a secoend topic in someone elses thread...

Naaa I waited about a minute... I'll try longer.. thanks for the info...

topic was errors on boot... I was just adding my symptoms..
Quote:Naaa I waited about a minute... I'll try longer.. thanks for the info...
I did not time it but is was pitch black for a long while and then booted.
The 9.11 beta also used grub2 and then it worked to downgrade to legacy grub.

The dharma live installation does not seem to offer legacy as an option in expert mode (as lucid installation does) but it is possible to downgrade after installation.
I am not sure if xbmc-live can handle it put in 9.11 it worked fine.
vikjon0 Wrote:I did not time it but is was pitch black for a long while and then booted.
The 9.11 beta also used grub2 and then it worked to downgrade to legacy grub.

The dharma live installation does not seem to offer legacy as an option in expert mode (as lucid installation does) but it is possible to downgrade after installation.
I am not sure if xbmc-live can handle it put in 9.11 it worked fine.

Hmmm - you've kinda lost me Huh - I'm an Xbox user... you copy it on... you boot it up.. movies, music and pictures! simple...

Lagacy? expert mode? I chose "instal xbmc live" and followed the install.... Oo
Quote:Lagacy? expert mode? I chose "instal xbmc live" and followed the install....
Sure, but this is a beta. You probably should wait for the released product.
Left it for about 10 minutes.... nothing... blank screen... this is a reasonably fast system.. dual core Atom 1.8Ghz, blisteringly quick F40 SSD 280mb/270mb read/write and 4Gb of RAM so I would of hoped it would of booted reasonably quick....
Pages: 1 2