Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Dharma Live test results
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't see a Live sticky this time so I will post my test results in this thread.
Please join in.

So far I can only find one issue on asrock ion 330 - grub2 is still hanging for 2minutes

Now we only need a launcher to get ff up and running and I am ready to upgrade!

Working
Standard installation - no issues
USB auto mounting - working
USB auto mounting after gnome-core installed - still working!
MS MCE remote working out of box
VDPAU & killa sample plays fine without any change of setup. (it is struggling a bit to start up)
DVD seem to play fine (and eject works)
suspend works but resume on remote does not work.

The few issues I have seen is boot related and I see the same in the two dharma live threads from today.

Edit: Have now tested on the asrock using an USB.

Issues(?):
1) Grub2 still slow on Asrock IOS 330 (confirmed on my asrock)
2) Some error messages fly by while booting. Less errors now, Can only see someting about 1024x etc (resolutions that does not exists)
Fix:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=595261&postcount=6
3) Exit xbmc does not bring me back to cli. Hangs in xorg somewhere (grey and X)
EDIT: This seem to be display related. It is working fine on the asrock

EDIT: Probably also related to grub resolution.
4) Is it not possible exit to grub menu while booting?
Edit: I do get a grub menu now when I have old OS on fixed disk...not sure if this is an real issue or not.
Edit2: Again, probably related to grub resolution. If so, not very nice since you may want to enter safe mode to fix it....

5) When I add a partition in fstab it used to show up in the highest level in browse for source, now you have to go via root. I guess more a feature than an issue?
6) Resume from suspend does not work out of box (same in 9.11 but worked in 9.04)
------------------
add some stuff (over ssh)
-----------------------
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nedit arora rox-filer

(to use for posting logs etc)

sudo apt-get install wget
-----------------------------------
Mount the media partition
-----------------------------------

1)
View partitions:
sudo fdisk -l
Hopefully you can find your unmounted partition. (if not or if you did not create the partition

you need to install gparted)
In my case the partition is /dev/sda5
2)
Create a mount point (in this case a folder in the root):
sudo mkdir /storage
3)
Edit the fstab:
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
sudo nano /etc/fstab
Add:
/dev/sda5 /storage ext2 defaults 0 0
ext2 since I remember selecting that when I created the partition.
4)
mount:
sudo mount -a
5) set permissions
sudo chown -R xbmc:xbmc /storage
sudo chmod -R 777 /storage
vikjon0 I also get no resume from suspend on my Asrock Ion 330 out of the box with Dharma beta 1 also the fix through echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup in rclocal which worked for 9.11 no longer works with Dharma.
I'll add my two pence worth too.

1. Resume from standby doesn't work with an Acer Revo R3610
2. Automounting USB drives work but mounts after SabNZBd+ so can't use as a download destination (REALLY ANNOYING).
3. GRUB_GFXMODE errors on bootup about unsupported modes (easily sorted see http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=595261&postcount=6
4. GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0) (apparently a Ububtu known bug, i have it mainly on reboot).

However after only a few hours i have samba installed, have mapped my usb drives in windows, remote fully working, SabNZBD+, Couch Potato and Sickbeard running and re-imported my videos and music database.

If i could just solve my sabnzbd+ and usb drive issue (not anything to do with this build) i'll be happy. But so far so good.
Quote:If i could just solve my sabnzbd+ and usb drive issue
Assuming that they are inserted on boot I think you can mount them in fstab on UID (as oppose to /dev/ path)
Quote:> /proc/acpi/wakeup in rclocal which worked for 9.11 no longer works with Dharma.
I saw another thread about this and ugrading the kernal not sure if it is xbmc build dependent or not. I will test when I have time, suspend is not a big thing for me.
vikjon0 Wrote:Assuming that they are inserted on boot I think you can mount them in fstab on UID (as oppose to /dev/ path)

Thanks, something to look into. Any pointers to look into this.
I installed Dharma Beta1 on my Acer Revo 3610 and got suspend working by following the instructions on page 6 of this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76944&page=6. The resume appears to be borked in kernel 2.6.32.24, which is what Dharma Beta1 Live comes with, so you need to upgrade to 2.6.32.25 and also modify the /proc/acpi/wakeup file.

Specifically, here is what I did:

1. sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kernel-ppa/pre-proposed
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic
  4. rebooted, but still not working..../proc/acpi/wakeup still had all the USB's as 'disabled', so....
  5. sudo vi /etc/rc.local and pasted the following:
  6. # By default this script does nothing.

echo USB0>/proc/acpi/wakeup

exit 0
  7. saved the file and rebooted....voila, it worked
Hopes this helps. It's amazing how having to get up, walk over 15' and press the power button on the Revo negatively affects the WAF Laugh

Thanks.

-=Shaq=-
I made a thumbdrive via the Bootable Disk Wizard and that seemed to go well. I booted into Dharma via the thumbdrive, made my overscan adjustments, added some media sources and then see if they all saved. They did. I then booted into rescue mode so I could make my grub resolution changes in order to be able to switch over to a terminal screen. When I performed the "sudo update-grub" I got the following error:

Code:
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).

I thought that might be a quirk of the rescue mode, although it shouldn't be. So I booted into full-blown XBMC and SSH'd into the box to make the changes. Well, sure enough, upon an update-grub command I got the above error again.

fdisk -l results in the following:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/boot/grub# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfbcc15ee

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          13      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2              13       25497   204696576    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3           25498       38913   107763989+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5           25498       38362   103338081   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           38363       38913     4425876   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 4110 MB, 4110228480 bytes
181 heads, 15 sectors/track, 2956 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2715 * 512 = 1390080 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00064f3f

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1        2957     4013894+  83  Linux

And it looks like everything that should be mounted rw is:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/boot/grub# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=764024k,nr_inodes=191006,mode=755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/sdb1 on /live/image type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop0 on /filesystem.squashfs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sdb1 on /live-rw-backing type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop1 on /live/cow type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)
aufs on / type aufs (rw,noatime,si=4ad4aa43,noxino)
tmpfs on /live type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /live/persistence-binds type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)

I'm not sure how to proceed, but until I find a way to update grub, I've got no native terminal session and am forced to do all my under-the-hood work via an SSH session.
So, I'm not sure why
Quote:I'm not sure how to proceed, but until I find a way to update grub, I've got no native terminal session and am forced to do all my under-the-hood work via an SSH session.
So, I'm not sure why

Just guessing but perhaps you cant do that on a live installation? Maybe a different processes is needed.
You could try normal disk installation to USB instead but i am sure someone else can answer.
vikjon0 Wrote:Just guessing but perhaps you cant do that on a live installation? Maybe a different processes is needed.
You could try normal disk installation to USB instead but i sure someone else can answer.

correct, you can't update grub in Live with update-grub.
You need to modify the grub.cfg file manually (\boot\grub ON THE USB FLASH DISK, you could do it also from Windows).
-=Shaq=- Wrote:I installed Dharma Beta1 on my Acer Revo 3610 and got suspend working by following the instructions on page 6 of this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76944&page=6. The resume appears to be borked in kernel 2.6.32.24, which is what Dharma Beta1 Live comes with, so you need to upgrade to 2.6.32.25 and also modify the /proc/acpi/wakeup file.

Specifically, here is what I did:

1. sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kernel-ppa/pre-proposed
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic
  4. rebooted, but still not working..../proc/acpi/wakeup still had all the USB's as 'disabled', so....
  5. sudo vi /etc/rc.local and pasted the following:
  6. # By default this script does nothing.

echo USB0>/proc/acpi/wakeup

exit 0
  7. saved the file and rebooted....voila, it worked
Hopes this helps. It's amazing how having to get up, walk over 15' and press the power button on the Revo negatively affects the WAF Laugh

Thanks.

-=Shaq=-

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately didn't work for my Asrock Ion 330.

Other than the suspend problem everything else seems to be working fine, HDMI audio worked once selected, all videos play normally.

There is no audio in the GUI but thats always been the case and the .asoundrc file in /home/xbmc/ with text below corrects that.
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
Hi guys,

Installed 10.0-beta1 (r33324) last night on ASUS P5N7A-VM/nVidia 9300 board; things are working fine, so far. I don't know how much it differs from Live installation, so wondering if I start a new thread or keep posting the test results here. Cheers!!
One thing i think i've noticed is on youtube downloaded trailers (i.e. FLV) they seem jerky now. Wonder if i need to install a flash player ?

Scratch that, tested some older ones and they are fine so must be some bad sources.
Okay, I was able to fix my grub issues by editing grub.cfg directly, but I've got another problem now. When I'm in the file view, if I try navigating down to any subdirectories, everything just hangs, and I get the "working" animation that doesn't go away.

I can still SSH into the box, but I'm not sure where to look to determine what's going on. Any suggestions?
Pages: 1 2