Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Dharama beta1- post upgrade issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Have had two installation of Dharma beta1 - one on x86_64, installed from scratch and another one is x86_32 upgrade. Both working fine, in general, with a few not so serious issues. This what the system I tested on:

• Ubuntu 10.04 minimal
  • XBMC r33324
  • nVidia driver v256.53
  • ALSA v1.0.22 (default installation)
  • Pentium D 3.4Ghz | 2GB Memory | nVidia 9300 (integrated)
  • Audio through HDMI
I've three crashes so far, twice playing audio - those were not mono-audio but 320kbps mp3 files; crashed when change to another song whilst playing to one. Another time watching iso movies, when I stopped it whilst it was playing. That mostly happen due to [somehow] corrupted database. Is there any thing changed in mysql schema?

Two things I noticed, seem to be a bit odd to me.
First, even though I'm using HDMI, specifying any thing - HDMI, Analog or Optical/Coax - for the Audio output still works. Is it normal?

2nd thing: If any sort of Digital Pass-through is used, doesn't it the fact that control go to the receiver, rather than on the device itself? But I can still control the volume on the computer, especially when I listen to the music. Can any one please explain what am I missing here? Cheers!!
Has anyone else seen this pass-though peculiarity before, as I mentioned above? Or am I misconfigured? Cheers!!!
MacUsers Wrote:Has anyone else seen this pass-though peculiarity before, as I mentioned above? Or am I misconfigured? Cheers!!!

I'm not an expert, but if you talk about mp3 music it hasn't passthrough, it will be sent as PCM to your receiver so for me it's normal that you could change volume in XBMC.

For video file which use DTS/DD passthrough, you are right I think you shouldn't be able to change the volume in XBMC, but I have never tested.
anarkia Wrote:I'm not an expert, but if you talk about mp3 music it hasn't passthrough, it will be sent as PCM to your receiver so for me it's normal that you could change volume in XBMC.
I understand what you mean but (although I'm not an expert either) I don't think that's (or should be) true if you digitally connected. I know that doesn't happen on Mac - the moment it detects digital connection, the system volume control gets disable, doesn't matter you play DVD or songs in iTunes and the same thing happens on the CentOS (Gnome) and also on the Fedora. I hardly use Windows but as far as I can remember (XP & Vista), the moment you switch to digital, the system volume control doesn't have any control over it. doesn't "passthrough" mean let receiver do the work not the device itself? Cheers!!
Do you have dts/dd-capable receiver settings unticked in XBMC audio settings? If yes, they are being sent as a linear pcm audio to the receiver and you can adjust the volume.
No, I've that DTS/DD capable receiver selected in the audio settings. It behaves correctly when playing movies but not for playing music. Looks like XBMC's internal volume control for audio player is not sync'd with system volume control. Cheers!!
Then there's nothing wrong in the behaviour.

- DD/DTS is sent as is ('passthroughed') to you receiver which handles decoding -> you can't adjust the volume on the pc, only in the amp.
- Music is being sent as PCM audio and you can adjust the volume. Amp doesn't have to do any decoding, it simply takes the audio and directs it to speakers.

Having a digital connection physically has nothing to do with this.