Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Still slow boot times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an Acer Revo 3610 and am trying to install xbmc live to usb stick. I downloaded new version to cd. Booted this with external cd-dvd rom. When in XBMC tried the Bootable Disk Wizard. Installed to 4gb usb drive, made permanent storage and went through all the steps successfully. Then booted from the usb stick. It eventually gets to xbmc but it takes about 2 1/2 minutes. I have had this problem for a while and have posted before. I thought this newest version would help. I just don't understand why some users with the revo don't have this problem. Same thing if I use any of the recent xbmcfreaks version. Would appreciate any help. This has been driving me crazy for weeks. I would eventually like to install to internal harddrive but not till I am successful installing to usb stick. (I am afraid I would have same problem). I also tried installing straight from cd using entire disk option and choosing the usb thumb drive, same result. Ugh. Please anyone?
EarnheadJ Wrote:I would eventually like to install to internal harddrive but not till I am successful installing to usb stick. (I am afraid I would have same problem).

grub2 may not like the combination of USB disk + internal HDD. AFAIK you will have very different results installing to internal HDD.
Is there any fix to this? I want to run xbmc off my usb drive and then run my windows install on my hdd. Since the update to Dharma boot times are very slow, grub or something is hanging making the boot up over 2 minutes.
To decrease the Boot time a custom Ubuntu Server install with xbmc as a "desktop" would be nice i think. Is there any "how to" or something i can use? Just to have something i can take a look at.
Quote:To decrease the Boot time a custom Ubuntu Server install with xbmc as a "desktop" would be nice i think. Is there any "how to" or something i can use? Just to have something i can take a look at.
This is what xbmcLive do... you need to use google.
This thread is not about that. There is a bug in grub2 and it has nothing to do with the desktop.
Ronald Pagan Wrote:Is there any fix to this? I want to run xbmc off my usb drive and then run my windows install on my hdd. Since the update to Dharma boot times are very slow, grub or something is hanging making the boot up over 2 minutes.

Dual boot live install.
If you have not solved this then try running OpenELEC from a USB flash drive. You can easily run from the flash drive and will boot in under 30 seconds easily.