Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MKVs with FLAC not sounding great
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just recently moved over to XBMC having gone with Win7MC for the past year for my Asrock 330ht. I've installed the latest Dharma nightly and all is peachy except for sound quality.

I've converted some BDMV folders to MKV with EAC3to with the HD audio converted to FLAC. I've set XBMC to output audio to HDMI and everything works as it should, amp reads PCM incoming from XBMC. Problem is it sounds really low and restrained compared to how it should, if I change audio output to analog then it sounds so much louder and clearer, only problem is it is outputting to AC3 then unless I disable AC3 compatibility in xbmc.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have a similar setup?

Cheers in advance.
Any ideas on this guys? It's spoiling an otherwise perfect installation for me where I'm one issue away from HTPC nirvana.
iamjacksass Wrote:I've converted some BDMV folders to MKV with EAC3to with the HD audio converted to FLAC. I've set XBMC to output audio to HDMI and everything works as it should, amp reads PCM incoming from XBMC. Problem is it sounds really low and restrained compared to how it should

Check your linux system's volume settings. You can run a shell based volume control (like alsamixer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsamixer) if you log in remotely. Make sure that the PCM output is not turned down.

iamjacksass Wrote:if I change audio output to analog then it sounds so much louder and clearer, only problem is it is outputting to AC3 then unless I disable AC3 compatibility in xbmc.

Well... if I understand correctly, you are saying that XBMC picks AC3 tracks by default? Try selecting from the different audio tracks available when playing back your video files. (Although I haven't tried MKV's with FLAC myself.) Then try setting your selection as the default.