Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: sources keep getting reset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the strange problem that my sources keer getting reset. For example:
I have a folder called images. I add that to the sources in the images menu. All works fine. But when I reset it's gone.

I've tried updating but that won't help. I'm now using confluence on xbmc 10.0-beta1 r33324

//edit: I've found that the sources.xml file in /home/user/.xbmc/userdata isn't getting updated. And when I update the xml manually and reboot the xml file gets reset to default..

//edit2: The file i changed manually actually didn't upload properly for some reason. I've manually changed it using sudo nano. After a reboot the added picture source was added properly but it seems there are some rights problems
kick. Anybody with any ideas?
pkunk check your sources.xml file is assigned to the right user perhaps ? It may be allocated to root instead of xbmc

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml
danz0l Wrote:pkunk check your sources.xml file is assigned to the right user perhaps ? It may be allocated to root instead of xbmc

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

If you mean the location of the file; it is in the proper folder. Only thing is my user is xbox and not xbmc. Could that be the problem?
pkunk Wrote:If you mean the location of the file; it is in the proper folder. Only thing is my user is xbox and not xbmc. Could that be the problem?

I think he means that the the permissions are set are to the user (xbmc) and not to root. So either change the permissions, or upload that file under xbmc login and not root...
The same happened to me Smile
tinybilbo Wrote:I think he means that the the permissions are set are to the user (xbmc) and not to root. So either change the permissions, or upload that file under xbmc login and not root...
The same happened to me Smile
And how do I do that?
pkunk Wrote:And how do I do that?

Hi pkunk, yes make sure its not root as the user and that its assigned to the user you login with for xbmc.

So assuming your username is xbmc i would ssh into the box and then

Code:
chown xbmc /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

I think you mentioned your user is xbox so that would likely be

Code:
chown xbox /home/xbox/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

Or alternatively copy the sources.xml file to your computer then copy back using a FTP program, that should set the correct permissions.
danz0l Wrote:Hi pkunk, yes make sure its not root as the user and that its assigned to the user you login with for xbmc.

So assuming your username is xbmc i would ssh into the box and then

Code:
chown xbmc /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

I think you mentioned your user is xbox so that would likely be

Code:
chown xbox /home/xbox/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

Or alternatively copy the sources.xml file to your computer then copy back using a FTP program, that should set the correct permissions.
Great! That did the trick. But could you explain the difference between the chown and chmod in ftp? Since I gave all rights using ftp and that didn't work.
chmod is for setting file permission (i.e read. write, execute) where as chown is to give ownership to a file.