Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Support for legacy grub dropped in xbmc-live dharma?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I have problem with grub2 hanging for a few minutes while booting.
I read in another thread this issue could be due to booting from USB stick with a fixed disk in the box. If so it is not a huge deal for me but I boot from USB sometimes and I dont see why it shouldnt work.

Anyway, I decided to test to downgrade to legacy manually.
This used to work fine with 9.11.

In dharma beta1 I get this
Quote:grep: /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory

When I try to re-apply xbmc-live after installing grub legacy.

BTW, if you decide to support legacy grub it would be nice to include it on cd so it can be selected in expert mode like on the ubuntu desktop cd.
I have been reading up a bit and I see that grub2 has huge issues with multi disk setup.
However, I am not sure this is the issue I am having. I also saw one reference to BIOS and USB boot specificly (but no solution).

Most issues are related to hanging before the boot menu while my problem is with hanging after menu.

In my setup:
1) the bootloader are installed to the same disk as /boot (EVERYTHING is installed to sdb) while sda is 2nd in boot order but have a working loader in its mbr as well.
2) I removed the other OS probe

This does not help. I think also these issues are be fixed by 1.98 which we are hopefully using.

What remains to be tested is:
Install Grub2 to the fixed disk
disconnect the fixed disk
remove fixed disk from boot seq?
vikjon0 Wrote:Anyway, I decided to test to downgrade to legacy manually.

Although it's not clear to me the steps you have performed, there are two cases:

* create a bootable USB disk using grub legacy:

you have to install the grub legacy bootloader on the disk and provide an appropriate menu.lst, having the original grub.cfg as a reference.

* downgrade an installed system on the HDD

downgrading to legacy via apt-get AND amending the menu.lst should work.
Quote:Although it's not clear to me the steps you have performed, there are two cases:

I downgraded on the disk (wiich is a usb flash in this case)

Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
sudo apt-get install grub
sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

Quote:downgrading to legacy via apt-get AND amending the menu.lst should work.

I did not test but I think it would work... what I did was to re-apply xbmc-live with the hope that it would do it for me.

I tried
Quote:dpkg-reconfigure xbmc-live
and
Quote:sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

Niether seem to work with legacy grub
(grep: /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory)
problem with grub2 is xbmc is using a buggy version of it, add this ppa and upgrade grub2 https://launchpad.net/~bugs-da/+archive/...ter=karmic

if that doesnt work a simple downgrade to grub legacy is possible, plenty of how-tos around.
vikjon0 Wrote:I downgraded on the disk (wiich is a usb flash in this case)

if the flash disk contains an XBMC Live system (ie created with BDW or unetbootin) you can't modify grub that way.
Quote:problem with grub2 is xbmc is using a buggy version of it
Agreed, but I assume it is using lucid 1.98? (will check later myself)

I would love to try newer grub but according to grub home page 1.98 is the latest.
Quote:https://launchpad.net/~bugs-da/+arch..._filter=karmic
I assume I need to use lucid? The PPA does not contain a lucid grub2 which perhaps is because the version supplied for karmic is the default lucid version?
I will check the details when back home.
Quote:if the flash disk contains an XBMC Live system (ie created with BDW or unetbootin) you can't modify grub that way.
I have installed from CD => USB as a non live system.
hello,

Quote:I have problem with grub2 hanging for a few minutes while booting. I read in another thread this issue could be due to booting from USB stick with a fixed disk in the box.

is there any progress on this issue?

Because my whole HTPC is build on USB -> XBMC Live booting from 4GB Stick, and Media on USB HDD -> No internal Hard Drive! I have no experience in downgrade or upgrade any underlying Linux! just need a fast "out of the box" Experience! Its still a matter with *Dharma RC1 for me!

thx
galore