Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2010 Mac Mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been browsing the forum and I see random mentions of the new Mac Mini with HDMI output, but I don't see any comprehensive discussions about it.

Have I just not searched hard enough yet?

Fry's has them at $100 off today and the xbmc on the mac with a single hdmi cable for connection to the AV unit is very appealing.

Anyone else have this and is anyone having any issues?
Are you kidding me...That is all that is all davilla and I have been dealing with since it came out. Do a better search.
I've got the new mac mini with HDMI - picked it up last week and running Dharma. It is connected to a denon receiver via HDMI and works perfectly - sound picture quality is outstanding

Funny enough though, exact same setup with Plex 9 - video tearing, dropped sound and frames - but works fine with my macbook

I highly recommend the new mac mini as a HTPC - the perfect solution - runs very quiet, does not get hot and when in sleep mode, consumes very little power.
Ouch. OK. In reply to "search harder".

I'm currently using an intel mini and it works
Well enough for us but the fan is just away too loud.
I'm using an Onkyo av unit.
I'll be more than happy to post my misadventures if they add anything to the existing information.
Bottom Line. Don't upgrade to 10.6.4 on the new MacMini till the Video Driver gets a rework.
Thanks. Just picked one up from fry's just for xbmc.
Anyone know where to get the optical audio cable for the mini? Just tried at the closest apple store and they all looked at me like I had three heads. Finally found some guy in the back that at least understood what I was asking for but had never seen one.
the 1/8 audio jack is both analog and optical. you need the 1/8 toslink adapter.
Dalej Wrote:Thanks. Just picked one up from fry's just for xbmc.
Anyone know where to get the optical audio cable for the mini? Just tried at the closest apple store and they all looked at me like I had three heads. Finally found some guy in the back that at least understood what I was asking for but had never seen one.

Note sure where you are located but I was bale to pick it up at a local computer store in Toronto

The cable is available on the apple site and includes the 3.5mm adapter you need:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TL955Z...topSellers
sting2010 Wrote:Note sure where you are located but I was bale to pick it up at a local computer store in Toronto

The cable is available on the apple site and includes the 3.5mm adapter you need:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TL955Z...topSellers

Thanks for the link!! I was able to confirm the local apple doesn't even stock apple cables. Belkin, mostly. Was able to pick up the adapter and 3 ft cable at microcenter... For a hefty premium, but didn't have to wait Smile
I got it up and running with the latest stable build from the download site.
Same version I had on the older mini.

Just in case anyone else is thinking about one of these - it's NOT silent and it runs hot enough the case is noticeably warmer than I like.
It is a LOT quieter than the older mini, but not silent by a long shot.
Dalej Wrote:I have been browsing the forum and I see random mentions of the new Mac Mini with HDMI output, but I don't see any comprehensive discussions about it.

Have I just not searched hard enough yet?

Fry's has them at $100 off today and the xbmc on the mac with a single hdmi cable for connection to the AV unit is very appealing.

Anyone else have this and is anyone having any issues?

Any idea if the Fry's $100 off is still going? It's not showing on the website, was it a labor day special thing??

Thanks!
Monty
monty77uk Wrote:Any idea if the Fry's $100 off is still going? It's not showing on the website, was it a labor day special thing??

Thanks!
Monty

Yea, it was in the Dallas Morning News ad:
http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.a...2519&type=

One day sale for Labor Day.

Oo
Dalej Wrote:I got it up and running with the latest stable build from the download site.

Just in case anyone else is thinking about one of these - it's NOT silent and it runs hot enough the case is noticeably warmer than I like.

Hmm...don't know what to say. Mine is dead quiet. The only thing that I hear from mine is the external hard drive that is connected during spin up.
D-tyme Wrote:Hmm...don't know what to say. Mine is dead quiet. The only thing that I hear from mine is the external hard drive that is connected during spin up.

I have the perfect ears of the annoyed spouse to use as noise detection.
Trust me. Smile

I will say that compared to the older Intel Mac we had it is considerably quieter, just not silent.

The old mini sounded like a learjet even to me, and I have lost a lot of high end range hearing.

It might be my new glasses, but the picture looks a little better too.

Did you notice any picture improvement on DVD rips?
Dalej Wrote:I got it up and running with the latest stable build from the download site.

Hey Dalej:

Really, mine is in a cabinet and I don't hear a sound from it - I used to have my macbook in there as well and I could here the fan going just scrolling through my library - also, the mac mini seems to run cooler than the macbook as well - this is the new unibody macbook.

Strange we are having such different experiences
Pages: 1 2