Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DR and shared access?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I simply copy out the userdata directory and it's contents while xbmc is shutdown and use that as a disaster recovery source?
In other words, if I do a fresh xbmc install and populate the userdata directory from a backup, will I have reproduced the original system?

Would it be possible to place the userdata directory on an NFS share and mount it at the correct location on the mac and have multiple macs access the same userdata directory, or is there a way to specify the location of the contents of the userdata folder?
Nobody?

Or am I just asking something so obvious that it's a stupid question?

I have been mucking about today and successfully run xbmc from an NFS share.

Mac Mini mounting an NFS export from a linux server.
I copied the contents of /User/id/Library/Application Support/XBMC to a folder on the linux server. Configured an export and then mounted the export such that /User/id/Library/Application Support/XBMC now has data sitting on the Linux server.

Fired up xbmc and things looked as I expected.

The NFS mount currently sits over the original data in the XBMC folder.
I'll dismount it, rm -rf the data and reboot and see if it still works.

As this appears to be working, i'll make the assumption that a comparable backup/restore of this area would be a viable DR scenario.

I'll be testing that later.

later:
Well, that managed to lock up the mac all together. looks like a hard power off to get it back, so time to test the recovery for real.