Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Not one video plays back correctly.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

So I have installed "xbmc r33324 Dharma beta1".

Now not one video plays back correctly.
- fps drop with 1080p movie (*.mkv), below 19fps
- Jidder every few seconds with SD video but no frame drop.

These are the settings, not mentioned settings are at default;
Display Mode : Full Screen #2
Resolution : 1920X1080
Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen : Enabled
Vertical blank sync : Enabled

Render method : Auto detect
Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) : Enabled
Adjust display refresh rate to match video : Not Enabled
A/V sync method : Audio clock
Display 4:3 videos as : stretch to 16:9
Video post-processing : Disabled

Here are my system specs, bug report will be posted on request;
Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 BE-2350 45 Watt (Socket AM2)
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Intergraded graphics card: 7050 PV / NVIDIA nForce 630a with recent driver.
Plasma TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ85E
XBMC Dharma version 10.5 r33324 beta 1 (10-09-2010)

Things go from bad to worse, any ideas? Sad
I'm sure any help would need to have a debug log to see what it is doing. That should be the first thing posted when asking for help like this.

J_K_M_A_N
sorry for the delay, you know how it go's but anyway is the Debug log where you will see that 2 video file have been played, 1st one is a 1080p in mkv format and the 2nd a standaard dvd file in vob format;

http://pastebin.com/QXeY3gYK
Do your videos play OK in MPC-HC? I'm not sure what videos you are playing but that video card/chipset is pretty damn old and probably doesn't support DXVA2.

Try turning off DXVA2 and see how the videos play.
Phyxius Wrote:sorry for the delay, you know how it go's but anyway is the Debug log where you will see that 2 video file have been played, 1st one is a 1080p in mkv format and the 2nd a standaard dvd file in vob format;

http://pastebin.com/QXeY3gYK

Your system doesn't support DXVA2. If you press o ("Oh" not "zero") while playing a video XBMC will show a variety of (mostly incomprehensible) info at the top of the screen including the CPU. You'll probably find the CPU is very high.

I note you have enabled "use a fullscreen window etc". You'll get better performance if you disable this setting.

The best solution is to swap the video card for something like the Nvidia GT2xx series.

JR
I am not going to discuss if the videocard/chipset is old or not. The fact is that with any other media player software it functions perfectly with low CPU load even with xbmc 10.5 r33240. As long this does not change I do not have to buy any other videocard.

To answer your questions:Nerd
- No problems what's so ever with Windows Media Player 11, Windows Media Center or PowerDVD playing the same video files.
- Disabling DXVA2 makes it worse more drops, lower fps than before.
- I am familiar with the "O" button and the CPU load with 1080p is max. 45% and with SD dvd file CPU load is max. 10%.

The jidder that I mentiond in my 1ste post translates in to drops, this can be seen when using the "O" button.

I appreciate you inputs, I hope this makes things more clear.Nod
xbmc only offloads decoding to video cards that can fully decode the stream. Yours only has partial decoding.
Other software such as MPC-HC can take advantage of that partial decoding.
You can configure MPC-HC as an external player of xbmc, or try the DSPlayer version of xbmc. Search the forums for information.
Why not build XMBC so that it can do the same?
In the mean while I will look at your suggestion.
As a backup I would like to know from you which videocard in your opinion is an better alternative.
Phyxius Wrote:Why not build XBMC so that it can do the same?

How much will you pay us to do it? :-)

Phyxius Wrote:As a backup I would like to know from you which videocard in your opinion is an better alternative.

The Nvidia GT2xx series seem to enjoy a good reputation. I use a 9400GT that I got (very cheaply!) from ebay.

JR
hehe, funny :-b
Just asking to see if there was any "special" reason.

I can get my hands on a Ati HD5450 card for almost nothing. If every thing go's well I thing I will. It supports DXVA & DXVA2 and has also DX11.