Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi all

Just wanted to share my experience regarding getting HW decoding to work on the AMD 780G chipset.

We will not tamper with default installation so you should be able to revert to stock if you encounter something.

Ok so first you need to install xbmc-live 10.04 beta.

I will do this through putty so from a remote computer. Be sure to connect the media-PC to your tv/display as we will need it later.

Now we need libva1_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb, libva-dev_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb and xvba-video_0.6.11-1_i386.deb. We will be using slightly older versions so we don't have to go through updating the fglrx driver on the live-edition.

Code:
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/pkgs/i386/libva1_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/pkgs/i386/libva-dev_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/xvba-video/xvba-video_0.6.11-1_i386.deb

So now we have that setup for xbmc build and get the latest xbmc svn

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-essential
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
sudo apt-get install -f
svn co https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/trunk/ xbmc
cd xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install

sudo mv /usr/bin/xbmc /usr/bin/xbmc.bak
sudo mv /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone.bak
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/xbmc /usr/bin/xbmc
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/xbmc-standalone /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone
sudo reboot

Now when you reboot xbmc should have VAAPI option under video playback.

If you have underscan issues with you HDMI tv (1" black borders around the edge), try this method.

still using putty (omit DISPLAY=:0 if you do it local).

Code:
sudo DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1

change your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to this
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "off"
        Option      "Xinerama" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
        Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "0-DFP2"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
        Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
        Option      "Position" "0 0"
        Option      "Rotate" "normal"
        Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "UseFastTLS" "1"
        Option      "Monitor-DFP2" "0-DFP2"
        BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1920x1080" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

If you have other than 1920x1080 and 60Hz change in relevant places.

Code:
sudo reboot

For some odd reason the driver might not have accepted the changes so I found that starting amdcccle and changing from 50Hz to 60Hz (or switch to any other Hz) got rid of the borders.

from putty

Code:
sudo DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/amdcccle

This will star amd control center on you TV NOT your desktop. So go to your tv and exit xbmc (amdcccle will be on top). after you exit xbmc you can control the mouse. Go to the display settings and try switching to another frequency eg. 60Hz hit apply and accept settings. Now you are in the amdcccle move the "wait for Vsync" slider all the way to quality (should help remove stutter if vsync is disabled in xbmc).

Again from putty

Code:
sudo reboot

Hopefully you will be rid of the stupid black borders. Remember to disable Vsync in xbmc as this should eliminate some stutter issues if you have any.

Now go to a HD movie and hit play and press "o" that is an o for orio not zero.

you should see it decoding the movie using vaapi and almost no cpu usage.

If you have suspend wakeup issues follow this guide

Best
Linnemann
Do you have any before or after results regarding CPU usage? What video codecs are you using for your HD material?

I'd be pretty interested in this as I have a 785G and Athlon II X2 235e without any HW acceleration which was pushing close to its limits on a 720p x264 movie (using Camelot).
The same 1080P movie before was 100%cpu and laggy, using ff-h264 codec.

Now cpu is 10-30% and ff-h264-vaapi codec
I did this and it seams to be working well, however my keyboard and MCE remote are now not doing anything useful, they will both bring the system out of screensaver mode but will not navigate. my mouse works fine still?? any ideas?
linnemann Wrote:Hi all

Just wanted to share my experience regarding getting HW decoding to work on the AMD 780G chipset.

We will not tamper with default installation so you should be able to revert to stock if you encounter something.

Ok so first you need to install xbmc-live 10.04 beta.

I will do this through putty so from a remote computer. Be sure to connect the media-PC to your tv/display as we will need it later.

Now we need libva1_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb, libva-dev_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb and xvba-video_0.6.11-1_i386.deb. We will be using slightly older versions so we don't have to go through updating the fglrx driver on the live-edition.

Code:
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/pkgs/i386/libva1_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/pkgs/i386/libva-dev_0.31.0-1+sds13_i386.deb
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/xvba-video/xvba-video_0.6.11-1_i386.deb

Went to follow the above tutorial today to get my ATI HD 5400 to do hardware GPU offcoding but it appears that splitted-desktop.com has removed the files Sad I've looked everywhere for them but can't get them, anyone any ideas ?
danz0l Wrote:Went to follow the above tutorial today to get my ATI HD 5400 to do hardware GPU offcoding but it appears that splitted-desktop.com has removed the files Sad I've looked everywhere for them but can't get them, anyone any ideas ?

i have the 5400 as well, are u using XBMC live darmha final? i thought it would just work like VDPAU works for nvidia. I only tried the RC2 but i couldn't figure out how to get it to work same with the sound.
i have the 5450 and you need XVbA installed to get hardware acceleration. Unfortunately http://www.splitted-desktop.com seems to have pulled them and i can't find them anywhere else Sad

EDIT: They appear to be back Smile will give it another go Smile
if you get it to work could u let me know what u did and how do you get sound to work as well

thanks
Well followed the guide and everything seemed to go smoothly. I got the VAAPI hardware acceleration under the video play options but enabling that just got a load of garbled output on the screen Sad

I tried installing the latest catylist drivers too but this then made the output blank on playing HD video. Ironically youtube HD worked perfectly and played using VAAPI.

Have decided its not worth the effort to get this to work so will get a cheap Nvideo card and be done with it.
danz0l Wrote:Well followed the guide and everything seemed to go smoothly. I got the VAAPI hardware acceleration under the video play options but enabling that just got a load of garbled output on the screen Sad

I tried installing the latest catylist drivers too but this then made the output blank on playing HD video. Ironically youtube HD worked perfectly and played using VAAPI.

Have decided its not worth the effort to get this to work so will get a cheap Nvideo card and be done with it.

Yea i think im going to do the same i had so many problems with the ati on windows only go it so i could do hd bistreaming audio. Now that nvidia has it and its going to work under linux as well.
Yes, its a shame as the ATI HD cards work well under windows but to be honest the lack of support in Linux has me running for the hills.

I'm now looking for a fanless GT210 and so far have come down to two choices

Asus GeForce 210 512MB PCI-Express 2.0 x16 HDMI w/LP (Silent)
or
Zotac GeForce GT 210 520MHz 512MB PCI-Express HDMI DVI

Both seem more than capable from what i can see and there only £30
danz0l Wrote:Yes, its a shame as the ATI HD cards work well under windows but to be honest the lack of support in Linux has me running for the hills.

I'm now looking for a fanless GT210 and so far have come down to two choices

Asus GeForce 210 512MB PCI-Express 2.0 x16 HDMI w/LP (Silent)
or
Zotac GeForce GT 210 520MHz 512MB PCI-Express HDMI DVI

Both seem more than capable from what i can see and there only £30

i am gonna go with the 430 my 5400 ati had fans and it was not that bad inside the cabinet but i hope the nvidia card is not louder Sad only reason im going with 430 is bit streaming and for future if i get a 3d tv. the 430 for 70CAD its not that bad.

oh and ati in windows is very bad man, i had to fix/get hacks just to get things to work, it did improve with the newer drivers but its nothing like a nvidia card with xbmc live.
Ordered a Asus GeForce 210 512MB silent (passive cooled) as the only fans i have at the moment are the cpu (hoping to passive cool that eventually) and a case fan (got a seasonic fanless psu). Looks a fair descent card so heres hoping i made the right choice Smile
Hi,

this is my first post in the forum so please don`t be harsh Smile

Will the above procedure work for installin Hardware Acceleration on a 890GX Chipset with HD4290 IGP?

I`m running Ubuntu 10.04 with the ATI Drivers self-compiled by:

Quote:sh ati-driver-installer-*-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
greatred Wrote:Will the above procedure work for installin Hardware Acceleration on a 890GX Chipset with HD4290 IGP?
Please try it and report back! Your HD4290 has a different video decoder (UVD2) than the original poster's HD3200 (UVD+) so the particular set of drivers he suggested might not work. As an example, my new HTPC setup has the HD4200 and on Ubuntu 10.10 with XBMC RC2 I could not get a working set of drivers. But I hadn't seen this post then and I don't think I had the 'libva-dev' driver installed.

I would suggest going to the 'splitted-desktop' (?) web-site and get the most recent versions of those 3 drivers. If it doesn't work, only then would I try removing and reinstalling the older specific versions as suggested.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5