Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live vs. XBMCbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its come time for me to reinstall XBMC on my Acer Revo 1600. I have been getting random reboots and i no longer can get network connectivity, some people have told me it sounds like OS corruption so i just think ill start from fresh. I have been putting it off cause i have made some modifications to auto mount USB devices and and NFS share on my NAS, however the recent issues with network connectivity i think im gonna have to pull the trigger

Currently i have a Jaunty mini installed and Dharma Beta 1 installed
and im just trying to understand the best solution as im not really sure the major differences between going the mini.iso route and reinstalling everything via SSH or just installing Live directly to the internal HDD

Any recommendations or tips would be helpful
Thanks

Drew
I am also interested in finding out.
subscribed, in the same boat as OP.
The original xbmcguide was supposed to result in more or less same end result as live.
I think there were a few things included in live but not in the guide. Something about cpu throttling perhaps.

I dont think the guide is updated to match dharmaLiveBeta.

I am not aware of any advantages with mini install compared to live provided that live will install on your hw.

EDIT: The old live installer did not allow partitioning of the hard disk...this was the main reason for manual install in those days.
So is there a way in the live installer to partition a majority of my 500gig hard drive to NTFS so I can save most of my kids stuff (.iso and .avi) locally so I don't have to turn on my server so they can watch a 20 min show.

Wow that's one long sentence.

J
Quote:So is there a way in the live installer to partition a majority of my 500gig hard drive to NTFS

Partition - yes no problem.
format as NTFS - dont know. You only need ntfs on fixed disk if you have dual boot. if dual boot just format at it in win.

Mount - Yes, should be possible to mount the partition from the installer, but I do it afterewards.
vikjon0 Wrote:EDIT: The old live installer did not allow partitioning of the hard disk...this was the main reason for manual install in those days.

the main reason was to be able to easily update and customize the system without breaking the live image which happened quite often with camelot installs
Quote:the main reason was to be able to easily update and customize the system without breaking the live image which happened quite often with camelot installs
I am only aware of the gfx drivers breaking and to fix that it is enough to install from a nvidia rep on top of live.
So am I understanding correctly in that it is difficult or impossible to add svn repo to live and do an apt-get update,apt-get update ti stay current with beta and nightly builds?
Quote:So am I understanding correctly in that it is difficult or impossible to add svn repo and do an apt-get update,apt-get update ?

What? I am not sure how you came to that conclusion from the posts in this thread.

If you are not able update live I can assure you that you cannot install xbmcbuntu either.
vikjon0 Wrote:What? I am not sure how you came to that conclusion from the posts in this thread.

If you are not able update live I can assure you that you cannot install xbmcbuntu either.

I was getting that as this was stated:
Hannes The Hun Wrote:the main reason was to be able to easily update and customize the system without breaking the live image which happened quite often with camelot installs

I guess I assumed incorrectly that updating might have negative impacts on the live image. Excuse me.
I re-read the original post to, as far as possible, avoid making a fool of myselfWink
I think I have understood you correctly.

If you install to HD using the live installer
Quote:everything via SSH or just installing Live directly to the internal HDD
There is no live image in the image = iso meaning. It is installed to disk as a full linux system.

AFAIK there is nothing that will break except drivers that have been compiled to a specific kernel. These will break when the kernal is upgraded.
Thats why it is, in my non linux guru opinion, not recommended to follow random/advanced guides to compile alsa, lirc, nvidia etc.

If you go with live it was at least in 9.11 a good idea to after installation do:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

install nvidia from PPA.

In Dharma it could be different.
Personally I dont like xbmcLive, all Ubuntu sources are not enabled, Video drivers used are crap or greatly missing fixes, tweaking system to add fixes is a pita and its far too generic i.e. for IONS is not so great.

So I vote for xbmcbuntu (minimal) style installs as per stuffs on my signature.

Granted its not using Lucid but the again lucid is overrated IMO, it only brings new problems that havent been fixed and users dont know how to fix. Whatever how-tos and wiki articles for lucid are quite lame and incomplete.
Plymouth also adds 6 seconds to boot time. I could rant some more but I wont.

Suffice to say that all NFS and other tweaks still need to be applied and if going from stuffs on signature dharma is only available @ svn ppa cause script still install 9.11 stable (not so stable as it turns out), however I personally only use stable as a pre-install requirement runing svn ppa upgrade option or svn compile via script oc, various other script options needed for optimal playback like 24hz fixes and Audio/sensors or other options you may wanna run on your system.

Usb automount is addressed on script as is resume on remote and xbmc policykit stuffs
Personally I dont like the karmic-xbmc combo because the xbmc auto-mount-usb breaks when anything gnome is installed.

On the other hand I have nothing against xbmcbuntu.
ok - unsubscribed.
Drewdatrip, what I usually do is create a .sh file as I go, I have all the keymap.xml, ftp changes, lirc configuration, xconf tweaks, advanced.xml changes (custom REGEX sort), power permissions and .asoundrec changes in it. I do a minimal ubuntu, copy over my .sh file , chmod it, and run it with sudo.
It saves A LOT of time, helps me remember and keep all the commands in one place.
I need to redo my Revo soon, I could post the contents of my .sh, but I think they frown on non-error checking install scripts here, but If the Devs don't mind, I will.
Pages: 1 2