Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
zepfan Wrote:The only things I've noticed so far are:
The Order not remembering, not a big deal.

I use posters not banners and instead of showing the poster it forces part of the poster into a banner. I use the Aeon skin so I use posters but I'll try a different skin and rescan for banners.

Looks great now with the banners, I do have the left justify bug but scrolling fixes it.

Also, is it possible to add support for multiple XBMC's? I've got a couple and entering the data again is a pain.
hi grywnn

i wanna test your alpha/beta app.
if've got a jailbroken ipad and use my xbmc every day ;-)

greetz

celevra
I also have a jail broken iPad and multiple XBMC installations. I'd be happy to test this and report back any issues/suggestions.

Looking forward to this release, it looks great so far.
I already fixed quite a few things (don't expect me to always be this fast Cool)

- selected filter options are now remembered
- two finger scrolling now works horizontal too
- banner placement in landscape mode has been fixed
- new music library display modes have been added
- dismissing the setup without changing settings no longer causes a reload of the current screen
- changing settings while in remote control view page 2 now correctly switches back to page 1 (thx cheeshead for pointing it out)
- a "close" button has been added to all detail views

I still need to find out why the app crashes sometimes while loading images.

Support for multiple XBMC installations, tv show posters and playlist manipulation will be added soon.

I just found out i was wrong about quality settings not being stored in the database: Of course they are. I'll experiment with these over the weekend, maybe i can include some of this information in the detail view.
wow speedy update!

haven't dived into it too much, but just noticed that there aren't any "watched" overlay on tv seasons. There is a "new" overlay, just not watched.

would that be possible to add?
I'm really loving the beta of this. I was skeptical about the gestures at first, but having the controls and gestures on one screen feels really natural and it just plain fun to use.

I have a question/request about the way the app looks.

I currently use the Alaska Revisited skin which is stunning. I have my TV shows with landscape banners. Alaska can store banners and landscape images alongside regular posters. The files stored are as follows.

landscape.jpg - landscape poster images
banner.jpg - banners
folder.jpg - regular poster

Is there any way to either have a choice of views like in Aeon/Alaska? Or a way for the app to look for a banner.jpg to use for TV shows and use the regular folder.jpg if not?

If it's not possible or not easy to implement I understand. I can go through and download banners and label them 'folder.jpg' so they look right on XBMC Commander.

Your app is totally great though, as it is now it's better than Ultimote which I had downloaded previously. Have you had any thoughts on a price for the app yet?
GinSoakedBoy Wrote:I'm really loving the beta of this. I was skeptical about the gestures at first, but having the controls and gestures on one screen feels really natural and it just plain fun to use.
Cudos to Ultima for requesting the gesture feature a few pages ago.
Ultima, you'll be included in the beta when i upload the next update.

Quote:I have a question/request about the way the app looks.

I currently use the Alaska Revisited skin which is stunning. I have my TV shows with landscape banners. Alaska can store banners and landscape images alongside regular posters. The files stored are as follows.

landscape.jpg - landscape poster images
banner.jpg - banners
folder.jpg - regular poster

Is there any way to either have a choice of views like in Aeon/Alaska? Or a way for the app to look for a banner.jpg to use for TV shows and use the regular folder.jpg if not?

If it's not possible or not easy to implement I understand. I can go through and download banners and label them 'folder.jpg' so they look right on XBMC Commander.
Theoretically posible, but far from easy:
Skinners have the advantage of direct filesystem access. I could do the same with a few http api calls per tv show, but i'll rather stick to the thumbnails / banners i get "for free" when querying the json api for the tv show list.
These are the thumbnails you get when scanning your library: Either folder.jpg or whatever you get by online scraping.
I'ts all about speed.
Rather than messing with the filesystem i'll include a switch in the settings to support posters for tv shows.

Watched badges for Season:
Thats also a performance question.
Right now i do
- one json call to get all tvshows
- one call per show to get all seasons (so far no watched info can be retrieved with this call)
- one call to get recently added episodes (including show id / season)
Finding out which seasons are watched would require an additional call per season to get all episodes including watched count, which would drop loading performance considerably.

Same thing for quality badges (SD/HD) in movie list:
Right now i get the whole movie list with one fast json call. Getting quality info on list level would require additional call(s) to the slow and soon-to-be-deprecated http api.
Theres no problem in doing these requests during the flip animation, so quality info in detail view will be absolutely possible.

More details in list view will have to wait until the json api supports a wider range of details (which it will do sooner or later).

Quote:Your app is totally great though, as it is now it's better than Ultimote which I had downloaded previously. Have you had any thoughts on a price for the app yet?
Don't know, think i'll go for ~3$/€ (aka 2.99)
Maybe this is the Remote for xbmc that i have searching for.
Is there a Way i can try the beta Version?
I have a Jailbroken iPad and multiple xbmc instances on Linux and Mac
A purchase is garantied, even for the 0.1 version :-)
Bug : "the" isn't being ignored in movies/tv shows or albums (artist or album) view when sorting.
grywnn Wrote:Same thing for quality badges (SD/HD) in movie list:
Right now i get the whole movie list with one fast json call. Getting quality info on list level would require additional call(s) to the slow and soon-to-be-deprecated http api.
Theres no problem in doing these requests during the flip animation, so quality info in detail view will be absolutely possible.

More details in list view will have to wait until the json api supports a wider range of details (which it will do sooner or later).

Why not cache the SD/HD information at the same time you grab and cache the cover art? We aren't going to mind a little more delay per movie at that point.
Very good app, will definitely buy it.
One little problem, I have some movies maybe 10-15 out of 1500 where the summary doesn't show. It shows on xbmc but not on your app.
I removed the movie from xbmc/xbmc commander beta 2 rescan it but still no show.
I will have the poster and title but no summary.

Edit: found something else on the tv series.
I select one episode and press play. Stop it and press play from the tv series windows, it doesn't work. Basically I cannot select twice the same episode even after restarting xbmc commander.
Just a small req: the icon is good but the name is too long. All I get is "XBMC...ander". Maybe just commander? Lol
Quote:Just a small req: the icon is good but the name is too long. All I get is "XBMC...ander". Maybe just commander?
This is giving me the willies.
I'd rather want "XBMC" to be a part of the name, to ensure this app is easy to be found in the app store when searching for xbmc... but thats not strictly necessary.
Anyone with a good idea: suggestions welcome Wink

Quote:I select one episode and press play. Stop it and press play from the tv series windows, it doesn't work. Basically I cannot select twice the same episode even after restarting xbmc commander.
I was able to reproduce this behavior. Will be fixed.

Quote:One little problem, I have some movies maybe 10-15 out of 1500 where the summary doesn't show. It shows on xbmc but not on your app.
Could be an encoding problem.
I'll adjust e few things in the next update (today or tomorrow), please tell me if this problem persists.

Quote:Why not cache the SD/HD information at the same time you grab and cache the cover art? We aren't going to mind a little more delay per movie at that point.
I'll see what i can do, but quality info in details will be first. One step at a time Wink

Quote:Bug : "the" isn't being ignored in movies/tv shows or albums (artist or album) view when sorting.
Will require some work (needs to be localized) but should be possible and will be done.
Good news everyone:
Playcount for seasons has been added to the json api since the last time i checked, so this will be added to my app asap.
I love the app so far. Every now and then I have to grab the remote to hit "clear" on the MCE Remote, because some dialog boxes wont disappear. It love the app and I know I'm just haven't discovered a function yet.