Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dharma users with a GT220/240 card (240s especially welcome)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Im hoping there's someone out there with roughly the same configuration as me. I've got the Dharma beta installed, with a GT240 card, connected via HDMI to my 42" plasma. I've noticed that whilst everything works fine if I set it to DXVA2 accelleration, if I enable the refresh rate adjust functions, after I watch a video and the machine switches back to 60hz, colours have gone completely whacked, as though they've adjusted down to sub-16bit colour and banding is massively noticeable.
If I change the windows refresh rate the new one is fine, but shift back to 60hz and it's still wierd until I restart the PC.

I've currently got a Win 7 x86 install on the machine with the 258.xx drivers and the latest .15 HDMI audio driver, I'm going to shift over to x64 and see if that helps, but if anyone else with a similar setup could feed back it'd be very much appreciated, so I can see if this is a general bug with XBMC/Nvidia or if its this machine itself.
I have a GT220 with Windows 7 x86 and am not having this problem at all. I can give you more details (drivers installed and whatnot) tonight when I'm at home.
If you could that'd be appreciated, I'm going to return this GT240 anyway, as I was misadvised on which cooler it would come with and it makes a fair bit of noise sometimes (cheekily despite asking whether GPU coolers are as seen and being told yet, I'm now being charged return delivery as 'wrong item ordered'...., probably going to have to complain about that), but Im going to try and get an alternative card ordered for tomorrow/the day after.
I had that issue awhile ago. Go in CP and change the output mode from CyRyXY&% or something to RGB or vice versa. The option is buried somwhere under the advenced manues. Never had an issue since. In my case the colors went in WTF almost negative image mode with lots of pink and green.

P.S. If its noisy get rid of it anyway...
I tried that but it didnt work (not to mention my tv supports both), it was explicitly until reset after a refresh rate change. I figure its a driver issue, rather than an issue with the cards, but still annoying.

I've already ordered my downgrade, ordered a passive GT220, which cost a lot more than it should [£10 more than the GT240!], but what the hey, at least I know it won't be noisy, and there's no way it can come with the wrong cooler :p
So I've got the GT220 - the Driver Version is 258.96, however I am currently running r33004 Dharma Beta, so that may be a difference. I was planning on running on this one until the official release comes out.
I am very happy with the GT220 by the way - the one I have came with a fan, but you cannot hear it at all. The passive one should be great, i just couldn't have fit the heat sink in my current setup.
Thanks for that, it'll give me a good place to start if I encounter any issues with the few driver sets I've got on my stick.
I didn't want to touch a fan based GT220 as they seem so varied in noise! Originally I was going to opt for a low profile case (Antec Microfusion), but common sense saw the light and I ended up getting a larger case that'll fit slightly larger components.

I've got a Zalman CNPS-7500CU cooling the CPU, running at 1100RPM via the fanmate, it'll be the passive GT220 which shouldn't get too hot, as I understand it runs a fair shot cooler than the GT240 (due to being virtually half the processor!), and beyond that all I need to do is go for a passive PSU at some point, the current one's not too bad but its got that sort of low drone you can always just about hear, and I've got an almost silent HTPC Smile

The GT240 wasn't that bad some of the time, but other times it really was an audible whine. Not what I wanted, and the card ran far too warm for me to run it passive (50 degrees idle with the fan on 35-40%). Shame really, it'd have been nice to have the performance reserves, not that I should really need it, as I understand the 220 is more than enough to handle decoding with a few filters on top Smile
Hi,

I have this Passive GT240 in an Atom 330 mobo running Dharma Beta1 on Minimal Ubuntu 10.04 x64 with the Nvidia 256.53 + ALSA 1.0.23...works perfectly.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=UOAMmxQPE5m52wWL
I looked at that card, but the only place I could find in stock cost about £100. More than I want to spend on a media GPU!
I paid about 57 pound = $90 CAD after rebate.
alexrose1uk Wrote:Hi guys,

Im hoping there's someone out there with roughly the same configuration as me. I've got the Dharma beta installed, with a GT240 card, connected via HDMI to my 42" plasma. I've noticed that whilst everything works fine if I set it to DXVA2 accelleration, if I enable the refresh rate adjust functions, after I watch a video and the machine switches back to 60hz, colours have gone completely whacked, as though they've adjusted down to sub-16bit colour and banding is massively noticeable.
If I change the windows refresh rate the new one is fine, but shift back to 60hz and it's still wierd until I restart the PC.

I've currently got a Win 7 x86 install on the machine with the 258.xx drivers and the latest .15 HDMI audio driver, I'm going to shift over to x64 and see if that helps, but if anyone else with a similar setup could feed back it'd be very much appreciated, so I can see if this is a general bug with XBMC/Nvidia or if its this machine itself.

I have the GT240 on my machine, but I'm running it over VGA to my TV at 1280x720. I'm running the beta1 and its been flawless. I have not had any banding or color distortion to speak of, and I'm also using Win 7 with DXVA2 enabled. My GT240 is the passive cooling version, btw, which I highly highly recommend. I got it on NewEgg a while ago.
thethirdnut Wrote:I paid about 57 pound = $90 CAD after rebate.

Yeah they're way too expensive in the UK right now. My passive GT220 has cost me that...and that was the cheapest I saw Sad