Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] Colour via HDMI - too saturated, How can I turn it down?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I find that the colour on my LCD via HDMI on my Dharma-Live install is too strong for my liking, especially on SD content.

When I had my old xbox via component I was able to turn down the colour down, however now that I've upgraded to a REVO via HDMI - I've lost the colour setting on the TV (I guess that's normal for HDMI?)
Is there any way I can tweak the colour output of the REVO itself?

Thanks
while watching a tvshow or movie hit your context button, to pull up the on screen menu, go to video see if there are any settings in the video portion that help you out.

also in settings > video > there might be options in there to play with

-=Jason=-
tinybilbo Wrote:Hi,

I find that the colour on my LCD via HDMI on my Dharma-Live install is too strong for my liking, especially on SD content.

When I had my old xbox via component I was able to turn down the colour down, however now that I've upgraded to a REVO via HDMI - I've lost the colour setting on the TV (I guess that's normal for HDMI?)
Is there any way I can tweak the colour output of the REVO itself?

Thanks

i doubt there'll be anything in XBMC that will make any difference. Ive got a Sony Bravia and am able to change saturation, contrast, colour etc etc per input (eg 1 setting for component, 1 setting for hdmi etc)

maybe check your tv - im sure most new tvs will have this same ability
Flomaster Wrote:while watching a tvshow or movie hit your context button, to pull up the on screen menu, go to video see if there are any settings in the video portion that help you out.
also in settings > video > there might be options in there to play with
-=Jason=-
smithr99 Wrote:i doubt there'll be anything in XBMC that will make any difference. Ive got a Sony Bravia and am able to change saturation, contrast, colour etc etc per input (eg 1 setting for component, 1 setting for hdmi etc)
maybe check your tv - im sure most new tvs will have this same ability

Thanks guys for the replies.

I have checked the settings in Xbmc, both in and out of playback and have'nt found any colour settings (apart from one that has to do with VPDAU Studio Colour, which I've tried).

The Tv itself (a cheap-ass brand..) has no colour settings when I use the HDMI port - the other ports do - I guess lack of options is one of the reasons its cheap Smile.

I was hoping for some kind of "hack" at system level...
I have the same problem with Dharma live on a Samsung LCD TV, which does have a multitude of colour/brightness etc settings but after trying all sorts of variations I still can't get things looking perfect. Most of my movies and TV shows I have are SD iso files and I understand that VPDAU won't correct these using the Studio Color setting.

I have been reading and think it may relate to a thing called colorspace where TV's expect colour values of 16-235 but the video outputs of our media PC's output a range of 0-255 which causes problems.

The Dharma Live I had uses Nvidia driver 195 but I was reading on the net last night that they have released a new driver 260 which has proper colorspace support including so I am hoping updating the driver might fix things.

I could be barking up the wrong tree but I guess I have to start somewhere to make my XBMC experience just perfect!!
Terracotta Wrote:I have the same problem with Dharma live on a Samsung LCD TV, which does have a multitude of colour/brightness etc settings but after trying all sorts of variations I still can't get things looking perfect. Most of my movies and TV shows I have are SD iso files and I understand that VPDAU won't correct these using the Studio Color setting.

I have been reading and think it may relate to a thing called colorspace where TV's expect colour values of 16-235 but the video outputs of our media PC's output a range of 0-255 which causes problems.

The Dharma Live I had uses Nvidia driver 195 but I was reading on the net last night that they have released a new driver 260 which has proper colorspace support including so I am hoping updating the driver might fix things.

I could be barking up the wrong tree but I guess I have to start somewhere to make my XBMC experience just perfect!!

Nice find mate! Smile

I had seen some posts refering to colourspace, but did'nt quite understand them, and thought they were'nt relevant, since I simply want to "turn down" the colour, not adjust the temps. I guess I'll give them another read.

I am already running the latest nvidia drivers (non-beta) 256.53.
I'm downloading the 260.19.04 betas as we speak.

I pulled this from the write-up

"Other changes to be found in this NVIDIA Linux x86/x86_64 driver update include...
ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI"

I'll install them tomorrow and post back if they help.

Thanks for heads-up.

*edit* form the download page

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...?p=2314331

Added ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI. These give the ability to output YUV over HDMI and select full/reduced color range on RGB over HDMI. ColorSpace and ColorRange are X Configuration options and can be changed dynamically through nvidia-settings.

I'm hoping that this is exactly what I was looking for...
tinybilbo Wrote:Nice find mate! Smile
"Other changes to be found in this NVIDIA Linux x86/x86_64 driver update include...
ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI"

Wow. That's a big deal. A lot of people around here have been waiting for that.

Edit. It works.
Installed new driver... added the following to the screen section of xorg.conf and rebooted.
Code:
Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
Finally.. puts an end to nvidia-settings brightness/contrast tweaks to compensate for the lack of a proper 16-235 video output.
tinybilbo Wrote:Nice find mate! Smile

I am already running the latest nvidia drivers (non-beta) 256.53.
I'm downloading the 260.19.04 betas as we speak.

I'm hoping that this is exactly what I was looking for...

Looks like I will know if this helps before I even get home from work today and try it myself (10:25 am here in Oz). Cool
pin87a Wrote:Wow. That's a big deal. A lot of people around here have been waiting for that.

Edit. It works.
Installed new driver... added the following to the screen section of xorg.conf and rebooted.
Code:
Finally.. puts an end to nvidia-settings brightness/contrast tweaks to compensate for the lack of a proper 16-235 video output.

Got home from work and updated my driver to 260 and looks like it has fixed my colour problems. The colours now look better across both GUI and playback of SD material. WooHoo! Seems my TV does support both modes (0-255 & 16-235) by altering the HDMI port settings to reflect PC or other device but it obviously didn't help the saturated colours I saw with the older driver. Anyway I have left my TV on PC mode and set xorg.conf to "Full" and all seems good.

Looks like the 260 driver definitely has some improvements over previous ones.

Now I can get back to organising my collections of video, music etc and enjoying the use of ....
pin87a Wrote:It works.
Code:
Terracotta Wrote:...Anyway I have left my TV on PC mode and set xorg.conf to "Full" and all seems good.

Thanks guys for the info...

However I installed the new driver and added the line into my xorg.conf (into the screen section),
and can't see any difference - so I must be doing something wrong.

Terracotta - What do you mean by "set xorg.conf to "Full"".

I've just found the service code for my TV - so I can adjust the colours now,
but I would still like to get this new driver to work properly....
tinybilbo Wrote:Terracotta - What do you mean by "set xorg.conf to "Full"".

Option "ColorRange" "Full"

From what I can understand it means use the Full RGB color range ie 0-255 whereas Limited means 16-235. I will probably have a closer look at the new commands for this driver and tweak a bit more. I must admit after the initial experience using the new driver everything looked real good but on closer look some SD TV shows still look a bit unnatural colourwise but not as bad as using the older driver.

Looking at all the HDMI colour/picture adjustments on my TV is confusing as there are many - white levels, black levels, pink levels, warm/cool, movie/dynamic, hue, tint ...... on it goes - soo many to tweak.

I read somewhere else to play a movie on DVD player via HDMI and if that looks all good then take those color settings for the TV and adjust your TV HDMI settings for the XBMC PC connection to match and compare the same movie iso on XBMC. Worth a try as far as setting up the TV end.

I wished it was just simple as plug in media PC and press Play like your normal DVD player. Oh well - need a challenge sometimes but can be a bit frustrating ....

regards
Terracotta Wrote:Option "ColorRange" "Full"

From what I can understand it means use the Full RGB color range ie 0-255 whereas Limited means 16-235. I will probably have a closer look at the new commands for this driver and tweak a bit more. I must admit after the initial experience using the new driver everything looked real good but on closer look some SD TV shows still look a bit unnatural colourwise but not as bad as using the older driver.

Looking at all the HDMI colour/picture adjustments on my TV is confusing as there are many - white levels, black levels, pink levels, warm/cool, movie/dynamic, hue, tint ...... on it goes - soo many to tweak.

I read somewhere else to play a movie on DVD player via HDMI and if that looks all good then take those color settings for the TV and adjust your TV HDMI settings for the XBMC PC connection to match and compare the same movie iso on XBMC. Worth a try as far as setting up the TV end.

I wished it was just simple as plug in media PC and press Play like your normal DVD player. Oh well - need a challenge sometimes but can be a bit frustrating ....

regards

Thanks mate, I understand now, I'll try "limited" and see if that makes any difference.

My cheap TV does'nt have half those options, but the service mode has loads of stuff, that I have'nt got a clue about... Need to write them all down first - before I start tweaking!

Please report back any stuff you might find about the driver.

A challenge is all good'n'great except when the wife wants to watch some "greys anatomy"!!!
To be honest, sometimes I think I spend more time tweaking and fiddling than watching! Smile
tinybilbo Wrote:A challenge is all good'n'great except when the wife wants to watch some "greys anatomy"!!!
To be honest, sometimes I think I spend more time tweaking and fiddling than watching! Smile

If you get the wrong colour setting then some colours in "Greys Anatomy" will indeed appear as "grey".

I guess tweaking is kinda fun as long as you eventually iron out the problems and can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labours (well keeping the wife and kids happy using it). My wife still can't understand why I would even bother putting all our movies, music etc onto a computer when she is happy to just pop a DVD/CD into a player and press play.

Morning here and I have just started work so won't be able to fiddle with XBMC for another 8 hours .....
Terracotta Wrote:I guess tweaking is kinda fun as long as you eventually iron out the problems and can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labours (well keeping the wife and kids happy using it). My wife still can't understand why I would even bother putting all our movies, music etc onto a computer when she is happy to just pop a DVD/CD into a player and press play.

Morning here and I have just started work so won't be able to fiddle with XBMC for another 8 hours .....

Well, the "FULL" option certainly worked better, something was off with "LIMITED" (I had it on limited), It had a kind of "moire" effect on deep reds and blues, and now that I've worked out how to use my TV properly, things are better.

My wife and daughter love the whole media centre thing, (we've got 1 revo, and 3 xboxs around the house), so much so that when we went back to the UK for a holiday my daughter (who's 5) could'nt understand why she could'nt choose what she wanted to watch, and was stuck with normal TV!

I've been using my xbox as media player since the days of xbmp (2003 I think), (and before that a Tivo), and its really only now that I've had to fiddle with the live install on a new revo, so I guess I've enjoyed it long enough without much pain...
I am pretty new to using XBMC so bit of a learning curve but getting there. Just want it to look good and sound good. I have an Asrock ION330 HT so similar architecture to your Revo I think.

I would have thought many people would have these problems and would be good to know what they did to get around them. Maybe some just put up with it and others quietly tweak but the more info submitted to these forums the better I think.

Keep tweaking and let us all know any improvements as will I.

I am sure my wife will join the media world of this century once I get it working sweet. She eventually came around to using a HDD PVR rather than old videotaping of TV shows.

regards from down under
Pages: 1 2