Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Help creating networked Thumbnails symlink from wireless Ubuntu client
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I'm playing with a common database setup between all my XBMC clients by using mysql. So far I think I got it working correctly, but I'd really like my thumbnails to remain in synch as well.

My server is running unRAID with mysql installed. I also have a copy of the Thumbnails folder set up in a share. My main HTPC is running on OS X and is successfully configured to use the mysql database for library information and thumbnails are symlinked to the SMB share. Everything is humming along perfectly.

I have another client running Ubuntu. It connects to mysql just fine but I'm having trouble creating a permanent symlink to Thumbnails.
- I've tried creating an /etc/fstab entry but I noticed it tries to mount to the share before the wireless network is established.
- I've tried creating a mount command on ~/.bash_login but it doesn't allow me to mount the share as a user, so it fails.
- If I mount the share manually, the symlink to the mount point comes to life and everything works oh so well. But I would prefer an automated approach.
Help a Ubuntu n00b out? Or is there a better approach?
If the pc is not networked when he read fstab, the share will not be mounted.
But when the connection is established, you only need to:
sudo mount -a

to remount all entries in fstab.
I am not sure about the best place where to put that command.
Maybe, putting it under /etc/init.d/ and then sudo update-rc.d ...

Or you can look at /etc/network/interfaces and use post-up to launch a command after the interface has been up (man interfaces).
I have never tried this and I think that it is not a good idea if you use a network-manager.
Thanks for the tips! I did hear something about configuring /etc/network/interfaces but didn't get any specifics.

The last page I brought up on my research before giving up the other night was to create a group and give it mount rights in sudoers, then add my account to that group. Then hopefully the login script won't complain to me. I dunno, we'll see I guess!