Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux] Surround on GT210 with LPCM incapable HDMI receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried many things to make my MSI GT210 to output surround in Ubuntu

I found this nice topic,
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877

But only thing I could get is Stereo through my GT210. I read many threads on many forums, but I always hitting the wall.

My Video is connected to receiver via HDMI, receiver is Pioneer VSX-519V-K. It can play HDMI sound, but it is limited to:

Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS 96/24, DTS 5.1

1) Windows test, works.
When I play Audio from my Windows PC, which is connected with HDMI (No audio) and Optical TosLINK. It is obviously limited by receiver decoder and optical to DD/DTS. So, whenever there is generated 5.1 (e.g. game), my X-Fi package encoding it to lossy DD/DTS with DD-Live or DTS-Live package at runtime. Or I can send audio track as is with SP-DIF pass-through. Whenever there is a DD/DTS, receiver shows appropriate logo on display and everything works fine.
This has sense for me.

2) Asus Player, works
This one is connected with HDMI. DD/DTS is detected fine and shows appropriate logo on receiver. In case I send a LPCM, it shows 'PCM' on receiver's screen and plays stereo.

3) Ubuntu. Card is detected, card # is 0, so it detects 0:3, 0:7 etc...

However, when I tried a "sweatspot" settings (e.g. enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2) sound is not working and it shows greyed-out speaker). Other combinations do work. I have a NVidia Stereo (HDMI) output in my mixers.

Some speaker test work (e.g. speaker-test -c6 -Dhw:0,7), some of them produce nothing (e.g. speaker-test -Dhdmi -c2 -r48000 -FS16_LE) while executed without any errors.

Working test (speaker-test -c6 -Dhw:0,7) produced noise with proper mapping, e.g. every speaker properly playing, including Surround, center and sub. If I try 0:3 or other sampling frequency (e.g. 44100) there is a silence

Can it be, that everything is set up fine, but on HDMI handshake it tells that target (receiver) is unable to decode LPCM? Pretty much as it does for video, when it negotiating resolution supported?

Only thing is breaking the idea that 'speaker-test -c6 -Dhw:0,7' works. However, it is not showing any logo on receiver (e.g. PCM/DD/DTS). It just works.

Is there any extra settings required as if HDMI is limited to SP-DIFF specs? So sound tests precoded to lossy DD/DTS as in windows. And Totem/VCL/XBMC and others will pass-trough DD/DTS or downscale anything higher than that?

Thank you
Hmm, installed Windows 7 today. Tested, worked perfectly with LPCM setup. With any 44100/48000/192000 16/24 Bits setup

Will try a bit more, will give a couple more months to NVidia and new Linux XBMC. If not, will get back to Windows world.

Amount of pain to make audio to work is incomparable for both platform.

Though, as a file server and torrent server, I like Linux more...