Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First time upgrader! Beta 1 to Beta 2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys I usually just do fresh installs each time but this time I want to try and upgrade, what commands do I have to input in terminal to make my Dharma Beta 1 upgrade to Dharma Beta 2 without loosing things like movie information, add-ons, and so forth?

Edit: I am using LIVE btw.
exit xbmc, then type the following from the console:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

that's it
mobious Wrote:Hey guys I usually just do fresh installs each time but this time I want to try and upgrade, what commands do I have to input in terminal to make my Dharma Beta 1 upgrade to Dharma Beta 2 without loosing things like movie information, add-ons, and so forth?

Edit: I am using LIVE btw.

Since im no expert i probably cant help you if it fails...
I did have the same install that you have and all my config was still there after update.

Run the following command.
Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you get an message after sudo apt-get update saying you should probably run it again. Then do that. This worked perfect for me.
LoL you beet me to it Matt Devo Wink
Thanks guys, worked like a charm, only issue I have now is the shutdown function seems broken, it just restarts even though I specifically set XBMC's shutdown function to shutdown the system. Other than that everything works perfectly.
Does the same hold true for a Dharma Beta1 Live created by using the BDW to upgrade to Beta2?
After I got shutdown working again, I started up xbmc and suddenly I get the audio device failed to initilize message, googled it and tried everything and nothing seemed to fix it so I just went back to Beta 1.
mobious Wrote:After I got shutdown working again, I started up xbmc and suddenly I get the audio device failed to initilize message, googled it and tried everything and nothing seemed to fix it so I just went back to Beta 1.
This post fixed it for me:
http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/0...ynx-10-04/
Its long but if u copy and paste line by line it fixed it

Drew
Thanks, apparently using sud apt-get distro-upgrade messes up ALSA, doing a fresh install of Dharma Beta 2 does not have this problem. There is a way of upgrading XBMC without upgrading the distro using sud apt-get xbmc-upgrade I think, that should allow you to upgrade without encountering any problems I think.
One thought: I guess in XBMC Live also some linux specific things get changed, so a fresh installation would be better, right? I made a backup of my .xbmc folder and copied it back into it's place after the fresh install. It works like a charm (of course), but what if a new version of XBMC makes changes in the .xbmc folder too? By copying my "old" folder over it I replace all new content.
So the question really is: Is the .xbmc folder really only for user specific content (thumbnails, database, addons, ...) or are there some things one shouldn't just replace with an older version?