Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nodiskmount oddity...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

I went and installed the Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta2 for Dharma on my htpc yesterday, and removed nodiskmount from /etc/default/grub.

And yet my two SATA Hard disks still aren't automounting. Weird. Anybody else having this problem?

Can anybody else recommend a solution? I'm trying to avoid editing the fstab, because, to be honest, I can't remember if they're formatted ext3, or ext4...

Thanks all!

By the way, how AWESOME is Dharma looking? Man, but for nodiskmount, EVERYTHING, from HDMI audio, to perfect HD playback working OUT OF THE BOX!! w00t! I'm loving the add-on functionality too! THANKS DEVS!
Im not familiar with automounting without edit to Fstab.
If you SSH in and type "mount"
that will tell you all the devices and then proceed to mount via fstab.
Plenty of guides on that on here and Ubuntu forums

Drew
Drewdatrip Wrote:Im not familiar with automounting without edit to Fstab.

As I mentioned in my initial post - you normally remove all references to "nodiskmount" from /etc/default/grub, though it was a different file that had to be edited before Grub2.

Would anybody who is familiar with this know why this doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment?

Can anybody please confirm that removing "nodiskmount" worked for them perhaps, with Dharma Beta2??

Much appreciated!
PLEASE can just one person confirm whether removing "nodiskmount" worked for them for Dharma Beta2, such that all your drives are showing at boot??

I just need to know whether the problem is a fuck-up on my part or not!

Thanks!
SOOO - not one person can tell me if removing "nodiskmount" from /etc/default/grub worked for them with Dharma Beta2?

NOBODY AT ALL BESIDES ME HAS TRIED THIS?
Well I removed the nodiskmount from my grub file trying to setup a 2nd drive. I've managed to get the thing to work - but don't ask me how?? I've got my own post (that also hasn't been answered) trying to find out if I did it right. In fact, I'm still not sure what I did to make it work. That's the trouble with following guides - sometimes they work, other times they don't. While I managed to replicate what I did, I'm still not sure WHY it works, and if I have it all set-up correctly.

I never touched the fstab file and it still survives a reboot. Oo

I'd sure like to know as I'm keeping a record of my trials so I can write it up to help out other noobs.
Honestly I have read that removing nomount from the grub loader does result in automonting
USB drives. I saw it on xbmcfreaks and also on an htpc blog site. However I have never tried it just cause I read up on editing fstab gave it a go and it worked.
Either way either ssh into the machine remove the line and test it yourself. Or learn how to edit the fstab. Both are not too hard. I gave found posts here, ubuntu forums, help guides and google. If your not getting bite here try those out
perhaps you didnt to grub update
Drewdatrip Wrote:Either way either ssh into the machine remove the line and test it yourself.

Um, I did. I already mentioned that. That's why I posted here in the first place, when this didn't work. I do know how to use fstab to mount drives, but this htpc isnt for me, but a family member with no linux experience. So, auto is preferable, should, as I know they intend, they simply want to move NTFS drives from their PC, into the XBMC machine, without requiring me to pop around yet again.

I don't know why I have to explain myself, or why you would keep telling me to SSH - how in gods name do you think I removed nodiskmount in the 1st place? And why, given your ignorance of this method, would you assume that you are in any position to tell me anything I didn't know already?

I asked a specific question, and I asked it for a reason. Simply telling me to do something else, TWICE... well it's a little rude, and it's certainly not helpful.
vikjon0 Wrote:perhaps you didnt to grub update

Yeah, I hoped that would sort it, but no such luck. At this point, I think I might just do a clean install, and try again. I'll report back if it's still a problem.

Cheers!
On a Linux system, there are various files for various/different purpose; fstab is the one of the files for mounting file-system. Why you guys don't try/utilize the things already provided, which is known to be working without fail? I wouldn't touch the boot-loader unless it's absolutely required. Cheers!!
MacUsers Wrote:Why you guys don't try/utilize the things already provided, which is known to be working without fail? I wouldn't touch the boot-loader unless it's absolutely required. Cheers!!

Mate, I'm talking about functionality was was previously a part of XBMClive, and which I'm trying to get working in Dharma2. YES - I KNOW ABOUT FSTAB. I USE FSTAB, but this build ISN'T FOR ME. FFS. What's with all the patronizing assumptions?

I'm sure the devs want XBMClive to be as user & n00b friendly as possible, as demonstrated by including the new add-on functionality, so I don't see why the support community here has to be so hostile or indifferent.

Funny thing is, all i've asked is whether anybody has had any luck with removing 'nodiskmount' from /etc/default/grub... a question which, despite the condescending comments, I still don't have an answer to.