Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Asrock 330HT Remote not working with Beta 2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm currently using the XBMCfreak live CD Beta 2 from http://www.xbmcfreak.nl. I used this tutorial on howto install the remote for the Dharma Beta releases on http://forum.xbmcfreak.nl/topic/howto-as...8-svn32696.

That tutorial only worked for the Dharma Beta 1 release, but for the Beta 2 it doesn't seem to work at all. At the end of the install of the lirc drivers it seems that it cannot start the lirc driver because it says "starting deamon: fail".

I don't know whats wrong so if anyone could help me out would be great!

EDIT: Here's one my ouput when trying to follow this method: http://forum.xbmcfreak.nl/topic/howto-as...8-svn32696

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:/tmp/lirc/lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-buntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23$ sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23.deb
Selecting previously deselected package lirc-nct677x.
(Reading database ... 58501 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lirc-nct677x (from lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23.deb) ...
Setting up lirc-nct677x (1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23) ...
Copy patch file...
/usr/share/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko' ->/lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko'
/etc/lirc/lircrc not existed. copy it directly.
patching file /usr/share/lirc/lirc.hwdb
* Stopping execution daemon: irexec [fail]
* Starting execution daemon: irexec [fail]

xbmc@XBMCLive:/tmp/lirc/lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-buntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23$ sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23.deb
(Reading database ... 58507 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace lirc-nct677x 1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23 (using lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23.deb) ...
ERROR: Module lirc_wb677 does not exist in /proc/modules
Reconfigure lirc
Unpacking replacement lirc-nct677x ...
Setting up lirc-nct677x (1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23) ...
Copy patch file...
/usr/share/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko' ->/lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko'
/etc/lirc/lircrc existed. append it.
* Loading LIRC modules [ OK ]
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

Thanks in advance,
Fjerpje
did you install the newer kernel drivers for the asrock from their website ?

grab them here ...http://europe.asrock.com/downloadsite/dr....32-23.zip

this should get it working (it did with mine) and I'm on dharma beta 2
Hi Fjerpje,

I installed a Asrock box yesterday.
I used about the same procedure starting from the same live CD
Only difference is I do not uninstall lirc.

I put up the instructions on a blog and follow these each time I install:

http://thanatosblog.wordpress.com/2010/0...ock-330ht/

Try it with a clean install following these steps.

Let me know if this is working for you.

Good luck,
thanatos Wrote:Hi Fjerpje,

Good luck,

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've viewed the blog, but that one is starting with xbmc 9.11 is that what you did and upgrade from 9.11? I'm having XBMCfreak Dharma beta 2 clean install will that work also or do i have to install 9.11 and go from there? I mean can i use the latest XBMCfreak live CD wich is Beta 2?
thanatos Wrote:Hi Fjerpje,

Good luck,

yep that was one of the things i followed and it seemed to work fine for me on beta 2
No the 9.11 are older blog posts.

Look specifically at the one I linked to.

Installing XBMC 10.08 Dharma on Asrock 330HT Saturday, Aug 21

It starts from the svn32696 live CD from xbmcfreak

Do these steps:
- the 'base installation part'
- next do the 'Activate remote control' part

remote should work after reboot

to update to beta 2 do this with these instructions:
- apt-get update
- apt-get install xbmc

version svn33778 of xbmc will be installed which is beta 2.

All the rest of the steps in the post are optional if you want to restore settings from an old 9.11 installation. (like the scraper database, sources ...)
thanatos Wrote:No the 9.11 are older blog posts.

Look specifically at the one I linked to.

Installing XBMC 10.08 Dharma on Asrock 330HT Saturday, Aug 21

It starts from the svn32696 live CD from xbmcfreak

Do these steps:
- the 'base installation part'
- next do the 'Activate remote control' part

remote should work after reboot

to update to beta 2 do this with these instructions:
- apt-get update
- apt-get install xbmc

version svn33778 of xbmc will be installed which is beta 2.

All the rest of the steps in the post are optional if you want to restore settings from an old 9.11 installation. (like the scraper database, sources ...)

Oke, i've followed the tutorial and the remote is working now. But now i'm having the same issue i had with the Beta 1. Wich is that XBMC is forgetting the network locations i made in XBMC. XBMC restores the previous setup of maps and folder in the Video, Music, and Picture sections.

In video's i want to add a location on wich my movies are stored. In my case it is a NAS server. So if i click "add location" under Video's and select "browse" and than select "SMB network" and select my "WORKGROUP" and add the network folder, it is forgotten when i reboot. So i have to do that all over again. I don't know what is going on exacly but i guess XBMC stores the location in a session and not in the database.

If someone knows a solution than please feel free to comment!

Thanks in advance,
Fjerpje
Fjerpje Wrote:Oke, i've followed the tutorial and the remote is working now. But now i'm having the same issue i had with the Beta 1. Wich is that XBMC is forgetting the network locations i made in XBMC. XBMC restores the previous setup of maps and folder in the Video, Music, and Picture sections.

In video's i want to add a location on wich my movies are stored. In my case it is a NAS server. So if i click "add location" under Video's and select "browse" and than select "SMB network" and select my "WORKGROUP" and add the network folder, it is forgotten when i reboot. So i have to do that all over again. I don't know what is going on exacly but i guess XBMC stores the location in a session and not in the database.

If someone knows a solution than please feel free to comment!

Thanks in advance,
Fjerpje

I tested it on my box, this functionality seems to be working here. So I'm not exactly sure what might be the problem on your end.

The source settings are stored in a xml file on this location:

/home/<xbmc-userid>/.xbmc/userdata in file sources.xml

Check if the file is being updated after you add a new location.
If not, check the write privileges on this file.

should be -rw-r--r-- ,
owner and group should be <xbmc-userid> (whatever you chose during install)

Also, I usually don't bother using the user interface to add all the locations. It is very tedious work and I have lot of locations. This file is compatible with 9.11 (and even with older xbox XBMC versions). So I always keep a backup of this file and just copy it over after installing.

If you still have this file in an exisiting installation or a backup, you can copy it over to solve your problem.
thanatos Wrote:I tested it on my box, this functionality seems to be working here. So I'm not exactly sure what might be the problem on your end.

The source settings are stored in a xml file on this location:

/home/<xbmc-userid>/.xbmc/userdata in file sources.xml

Check if the file is being updated after you add a new location.
If not, check the write privileges on this file.

should be -rw-r--r-- ,
owner and group should be <xbmc-userid> (whatever you chose during install)

Also, I usually don't bother using the user interface to add all the locations. It is very tedious work and I have lot of locations. This file is compatible with 9.11 (and even with older xbox XBMC versions). So I always keep a backup of this file and just copy it over after installing.

If you still have this file in an exisiting installation or a backup, you can copy it over to solve your problem.

Thanks allot!

It was a user and group problem. The sources.xml file was actualy dedicated to root and the group root wich means that the user cannot update that file because of insufficient privileges. I've changed the group and user to XBMC and it all works fine now!

Thanks again!
Fjerpje