Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCFreak vs. XBMC Live?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am just about to install my very first XBMC system. I got myself a Revo 3610 with 2GB of ram. I have been reading a bunch of how-to's on this forum and some say to use the XBMC Live install, and others say to use the XMBCfreak live install.

I went to read up a bit more on XBMCFreak, but the site is a little confusing to me. I couldnt even tell what the most recent stable build is.

Could someone break down the advantage of using one over the other (XBMCFreak vs XMBC Live)

thanks!
Only XBMC installations downloaded from http://xbmc.org/ or http://mirrors.xbmc.org/ are supported by the XBMC team.

JR
OK, I just started this little project with xbmcfreak within the past week or so. I've been running xbmc from compiled svn on ubuntu for years. I just picked up a Zotac ZBOX-HD-id11, which is an 'ion2' processor. I believe the 3610 is just an ion, but could be wrong.

I decided to put xbmcfreak on the box. Yes, it's hard to understand the site because it's in a different language (dutch?), but once installed, it's all in english. Here's some info about it.

THe latest version is Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta2. This can be found here...

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/xbmcfreak-livecd...summarize/

And it's a PITA, but you can use google to search the URL and have it translate it for you.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...26rls%3Den

Now the differences. From what I've read, it's 'optimized' for the ion machines. A lot of the drivers are already built in and all you do is load and go. Examples would be the temperature readings inside the xbmc interface, power on/off, audio over hdmi, etc.

Personally, I've never tried xbmclive, so I don't know how well it works with the revo's, or any other ion machine. I just imagined that xbmcfreak is built for the ion, so it must have some things that work out of the box.

Another tip... I installed Lucid on it and was going to use the 'xci.sh' script. That was a mistake. XCI doesn't work well with Lucid and I didn't feel like fiddling with it. I'd stick with xbmclive or xbmcfreak. Personally, I chose xbmcfreak until I hear elsewise.
XBMCFreak's installers work a treat for me on my Revo.

It takes all the hassle out of installing Live and then tweaking audio over HDMI, menu sounds etc which often need tweaking to work.

XBMCFreak's install has worked perfectly for me on 2 installs, I haven't updated to Beta 2 yet as it isn't much newer than my current build, and I'll wait for the release of Dharma.

If you're new, like I was / still am I guess, and dont know Linux too well, go with XBMCFreak in my opinion.
xbmcFreak FTMFW

-=Jason=-
I personally have found xbmcfreak iso's to be great as well. This is the page I access - it's all in English http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en (hence the english on the end of the link Smile )
Sounds great. Is there an easy way to find the most recent stable build of XBMCfreak ISO at any given time?
I STRONGLY recommend you use the Dharma beta's rather than some third party. Reason is simple: It won't work out of the box for others unless YOU try it and ensure it works correctly on your machine. If it doesn't we need to tweak it further, but we're not gonna know this unless it's widely tested.

Cheers,
Jonathan
I used xbmcfreak as my first few installs on my revo r3610 as most things worked as they should out of the box.

However i got random lockups on the system and couldn't work out why so i when beta 1 live came out i re-installed. Beta 1 live official has been very stable for me and i've not had the random locks since. However i'm certainly NOT saying the xbmcfreak distro was the cause of my issues, its likely the underlying OS was more to blame.

But just to let you know beta 1 iso has pretty much worked straight out of the box for me on the Revo. The only thing i had to do was the fix for menu sounds and i was away.
Does anyone know how to change the time zone settings? I'm testing out xbmcfreak dharma beta 2 booting of a flash drive and I'm in the US Eastern Time Zone but clock is 4hrs ahead.
From what I understand XBMC Live is becomming more and more ION-ready as Dharma is progressing, isn't it the goal to make XBMC Live a no hazzle-installation on an ION machine including hdmi sound, remote control and hardware accelerated decoding? If this is true wont xbmcfreak become a bit obsolete?
ssboisen Wrote:If this is true wont xbmcfreak become a bit obsolete?

Until XBMC starts building and hosting SVN Live builds, no
Did any of you ION folks try using the XBMC live?
I think those xbmcfreak how-tos are outdated... XBMC Live worked perfectly on my Revo 1600 and appeared to contain all drivers. Worked right out of the box.
why wouldn't xbmcfreak devs join the XBMC team after dharma is released ?

They seem to be very good at optimizing a linux distro for xbmc, so XBMC live should benefit from it too.
Pages: 1 2