Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dharma Live Installer Doens't See SATA Disk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just got a new Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 into which I've put the Intel SATA SSD that I had in my previous media pc.

The system sees the SSD and attempts to boot the the previously install OS (xbmc live 9.04) however I wanted to try Dharma.

Both Dharma Beta 1 and Beta 2 do not see the SSD, when the partition screen comes up the only option is to configure an iSCSI target.

I've tried changing the SATA emulation in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI but that didn't help.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Gushy
So it seems the Ubuntu/Dharma installer just doesn't like my SSD - odd because the 9.04 live installed was used with this SSD fine - maybe it's the SSD combined with the ZBOX mobo that it doesn't like.

I installed a normal drive and the installer worked fine.

My SSD is an Intel X-25 with an HP label - Model: SSDSA2NH080G1HP - HP P/N: 487613-002. It would seem that this is the same as a standard SSDSA2NH080G1 just with an HP specific label.
dharma live recognized the 40GB intel SSD in my netbox just fine... I

dunno, does the zbox use some funny SATA controller other than the integrated nvidia?

p.s. the SATA setting definitely needs to be set to AHCI ("native") for full SSD performance, NOT IDE ("compatible")
I've set it to AHCI, but it didn't make a difference.

I too am now wondering if there is some funny SATA controller in the zbox that the installer does not have compiled into it's kernel.
What does #sudo fdisk -l show?
didn't try booting to live and trying that I just went straight for install.

I'll stick the SSD in, boot to live and see what I can see....
You can perform the same command during the install process. Just get to a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+<F1-F7>, login, and issue the command.
Ok so fdisk -l shows:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbd0e3bd3

Device       Boot    Start    End    Blocks       ID    System
/dev/sda1    *            1    523    4200966     83    Linux
/dev/sda3               524  9729  73947195     83    Linux

which is correct
just a thought but have you checked your BIOS, just in case the disk is setup funny in there (assuming that its using a mobo disk controller)
So, what you're saying is that during the install process /dev/sda is not an available option?
smithr99: it is using the onboard but there are no options I can see that would have this effect.

pumkinut: correct, with the SSD in the box the installer does not see /dev/sda even though fdisk -l from the console of the installer cd does show it.
Hmmm, that's odd. From the fdisk -l output, it looks like you have your SSD partitioned and formatted already. If it's possible, have you tried deleting the partitions and seeing if the installer recognizes it there? I know it's not ideal, and you may not be able to delete the partitions, but that's about all I've got. I'm sure there are other ways, I just don't know of them personally.
I'll stick it in my HHD dock and delete the partitions from another machine and then try again - I don't need anything off those partitions anyway as it's just a previous xbmc install.
Hi,

I'm having the same issue on a JetWay board with a 500Gb Seagate disk. Nothing fancy, just the on board SATA controller. The disk is an old disk from my Windows setting and has one big NTFS partition on it. Which indeed displays using fdisk -l from the installer.

Did deleting the old partition fix the problem for you?

Regards,
Maurits
I haven't tried it yet, I'm going to give it a go when I upgrade to beta 3.

My other line of thinking is to install onto the standard hdd then dd the drive to the ssd and swap them.
Pages: 1 2