Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote control confusion!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I just bought one of these, Asus AT3IONT-I-DELUXE, to run XBMC and I've successfully installed the Dharma Beta 2 Live version but I have a problem with the bundled remote control. Most of the navigation buttons work, up, down, left, right, ok, play etc. but many of the buttons do nothing at all, such as the power button or the dedicated buttons on the controller and I have no way to get the context menu either.

I've trawled the forums here and on Google for days now looking for help and I've tried to get to grips with LIRC but to no avail (I'm new to XBMC and Linux so I'm on quite a steep curve!). My USB receiver is reported as the following by lsusb:

Man: PHILIPS Prod: MCE USB Receiver- spinel plusfOr Asus

I'm using Putty to connect to my XBMC device and I can get nothing from LIRC at all, irw does nothing, even though I can see the remote control having an effect on the XBMC when I press the buttons so something is working.

Anyone have any ideas before I give up and buy a new remote?

Many thanks,

Tim
<ignore>If you have some buttons working then it sounds like your receiver is configured properly. (ie /etc/lirc/hardware.conf) is correct.

/etc/lirc/lircd.conf contains the remote control details. Again, if some buttons are working then it sounds like this file is partly configured. To add extra buttons, you need to use irrecord to make a lircd.conf which contains all your buttons. Use irrecord --help and the lirc website to see how to use irrecord. </ignore>

On second thoughts, it sounds like your remote is recognised as a keyboard or something. After a few days of searching google I'm not sure how you didn't find

http://www.google.com/search?q=Asus+AT3I...ote+ubuntu

which has this result: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=73816 which seems to describe your situation and a solution. I didn't read the page too thoroughly but it has a guide to have ubuntu recognize your device as an ir receiver rather than a keyboard.

Once you've done that, you need to edit your lircmap.xml in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ XBMC's wiki is your friend.
Thanks so much for the reply, I've pretty much got it working now. Not sure how I missed that thread Shocked

Thanks again,

Tim