Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Scraping Compilation DVDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some DVDs that are not a TV series per say, but are a compilation of a certain TV show. For instance, I have a DVD for my kids called Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases. This is a compilation of all the great Tom and Jerry chase cartoons. It is available for purchase on amazon and it is not a home brew compilation. What is the best way of naming the files to assure that they are scraped properly. Should I set the content as Movie (IMDB.com) or TV Show (theTVDB.com). Should I rip the individual episodes or should I create an iso file of the whole disk? I am really trying to find the best way to rip the dvd and name the file so that scraping will work properly. Any help would be appreciated.
Pretty sure you will have to rip and convert them to some other format , not sure xbmc scrapes .vob files properly. Heres a decent guide

http://download.videohelp.com/cheekie_mo...dtool.html
I've got .iso's and ripped dvds (.vob files in video_ts folders) and they scrape ok. Check the option to get the name from the containing folder and make sure the containing folder is named correctly. My bet would be on 'movie' rather than 'tv'.
Okay. Well I am not using iso of vob currently. I rip each individual episode by title using handbrake to mp4 (h.264). Would that work okay? I just need to know the proper naming convention for these types of files so that they will scrape properly. I do not think the standard title - sXXeXX.mp4 will work seeing as these compilation DVDs are not a TV season. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks for the help!
d'Wooluf Wrote:I've got .iso's and ripped dvds (.vob files in video_ts folders) and they scrape ok. Check the option to get the name from the containing folder and make sure the containing folder is named correctly. My bet would be on 'movie' rather than 'tv'.

Thanks for this. So you are saying I should rip an ISO or VOB from the dvd and put it into a folder with the proper dvd name (ie Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases) and use the movie scraper to test it out? I will try that as well.

Thanks
If you have them ripped as individual episodes, they will probably scrape properly as TV episodes if you find the right series to name them as. Look around TVDB. They have several series listed for Tom & Jerry (& Looney Tunes, for instance). It's a little tedious to figure out which episode is which and rename them to match, but it works.

http://thetvdb.com/index.php?seriesname=...ncedsearch
I'm also having trouble with Tom & Jerry episodes. If you go to tvdb.com, T&J is listed not by seasons, but by decade (1940, 1950, etc.)

I've tried several formats like:

tom.and.jerry.s1940e01.mkv
tom.and.jerry.1940x01.mkv

I've even tried tom.and.jerry.s01e01 and tom.and.jerry.01x01 but no luck.

I use media scout and metabrowser to scrape my data, but they can't identify the season because T&J's are listed by decade.

Can anybody help me get a T&J filename that will work?
Ok, I've scoured google looking for an answer yet I can't find one.

How the heck can I get my Looney Tunes rips into XBMC? They're all ripped as individual episodes, not just an iso file.

Now, if I set the scraper to IMDB, there's almost no problems, aside from each episode being listed as a separate movie under Movies. Obviously, not what I want! Smile

Using the TVDB scraper, I have no luck at all. I've renamed files many times with no success. Used folders for seasons (1949, 49, s49, s1949, etc.) as well as using one folder for all of them, changing the filenames. (s##e##, s###e##... an probably just about every other combination I can think of. Subfolders, no subfolders... even made sure I used the naming convention TVDB uses, copy/pasting from each episode's page. (Season 1949
33 : BUGS BUNNY - Rabbit Hood) Nothing. I've used a few programs that are supposed to rename from TVDB, but those fail as well... something like Title Missing error. I even added the show ID from TVDB to one of them.

The only way that I can get anything recognized is if I use IMDB and that just makes a huge mess of my movies list. I know people out there have solved this issue, so I ask... nay, PLEAD, HOW?! :confused2: :confused2: :confused2:

This, and the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoons are the only ones that I'm having trouble with. All the other series show up just fine.

A BIG thank you to anyone that can point out where I'm going wrong!!! Big Grin
rwpritchett Wrote:I use media scout and metabrowser to scrape my data, but they can't identify the season because T&J's are listed by decade.

Can anybody help me get a T&J filename that will work?

This confused the hell out of me as well, took ages to get it right Smile

My T&J episodes are in my file system as follows:

TV Shows (Folder)
-- Tom and Jerry (Folder)
-- -- clearart.png
-- -- fanart.jpg
-- -- folder.jpg
-- -- logo.png
-- -- tvshow.tbn
-- -- season1940.tbn
-- -- season1950.tbn
-- -- season-all.tbn
-- -- Season 1940 (Folder)
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1940E12 - Baby Puss.avi
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1940E12 - Baby Puss.tbn
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1940E12 - Baby Puss.nfo
-- -- Season 1950 (Folder)
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1950E06 - Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl.avi
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1950E06 - Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl.tbn
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1950E06 - Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl.nfo
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1950E39 - Mice Follies.avi
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1950E39 - Mice Follies.tbn
-- -- -- Tom and Jerry - S1950E39 - Mice Follies.nfo

You need to use the year as the season number in this case, a bit weird I suppose, but that's how thetvdb stores it.

Hope this helps! Smile
Oops I could have saved you some effort and told you that. Ah well. Sorry.

The lesson to be learnt is name things as they appear on thetvdb.com, where tom and jerry seasons don't exist as season 1, 2, 3... rather the years as you have discovered.
pseudo7 - I was still learning the ropes with XBMC and scraping at the time, didn't really think of posting it. Part of the fun of XBMC for me is getting it all working Smile

Stippy -
The same idea should apply to your Looney Tunes.

Looney Tunes
-- Season 1949
-- -- Looney Tunes - S1949E33 - Rabbit Hood.avi
etc...
@ Waveknight - THANK YOU!! Big Grin Tested out a few and it works perfect!

I now have them in the correct season folders and auto-renamed the bulk of the files; I just need to add in the episode numbers manually... that shouldn't take too long. Big Grin