Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Standalone distro for MacBookPro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hallo
I got xbmc working on acer revo windows 7 and it is working fine but noisy, i am wondering if i can install it as standalone server on macbookpro with no system on it. So i wonder if there is any distribution that came with Linux installation cd that will allowe me install it on this laptop without preinstalling linux first?
Not sure how things work with Macs but could you go down the ubuntu minimal installation route?
you already tried dharma live CD?
Normally the Ubuntu installation images can handle both the regular BIOS-based x86 setups and the EFI-based x86 setups, so unless the Xbmc Live people stripped out EFI support, you should be able to install it. Best way is to try the live CD really - if it boots into Xbmc like it's supposed to you know EFI support is on board Smile.
man, wish I had a spare macbookpro that I could just use as an xbmc server !
smithr99 Wrote:man, wish I had a spare macbookpro that I could just use as an xbmc server !

I got one in my garage for a year as it has MAS BLADK SCREEN of death so it was to expensive to fix and unusable. I installed XBMC on it and guess what. Suddenly after one year couple of visits in MAC repair centre SCREEN WOKEN UP with no reason when I started to use XBMC and now it works for I do not know what reason. And I am IT.
Well now I am using my daughters old laptop to run XBMC on it and I will try live version on it now.
I love this APP already
"I got xbmc working on acer revo windows 7 and it is working fine but noisy, i am wondering if i can install it as standalone server on macbookpro with no system on it."
- I can't say for sure, but my guess is that the added resource requirements of Windows 7 is what makes your revo noisy. I find that mine is pretty much inaudible with an installation of XBMC Live. Of course, I understand if you're wanting to keep Windows 7 on it.
will live version keep all setup after restart?