Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Centralized Media Center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am building a htpc that I want to run XBMC. I plan to store all my media on this machine. I would like to be able to access all of this media on other computers on my network as well as on my android phone, to be able to watch it there. On my laptop I would like to use xbmc and I think a network share and this database solution. Is there a better way to do this? Such as login to the xbmc as a remote user or something?

I would also like to be able to browse my library from my phone and choose to stream video to it. Maybe with VLC or some other such streaming software. Is there a way to browse the library and have xbmc start a stream to the phone? I would like to be able to access that from anywhere through a DDNS to my HTPC.

I don't know how practical these things are but it would be amazing to have a centralized server that could be viewed from anywhere as well as my TV. Thank you anyone for the help you can give.
I suggest you do some long and hard searching on each subject because it has all been asked.

in short, no you can't stream to your android phone

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:in short, no you can't stream to your android phone

What makes you say that?

There definitely will be a solution for this, which I'm fairly sure won't involve XBMC but it should still be possible.

For example, if you have the right stuff installed on your phone you can mount SMB shares on an Android phone and stream/open media that way. Obviously here isn't the place for discussing something like that, there's plenty of Android forums around.
SSMI Wrote:I am building a htpc that I want to run XBMC.
<snip>

Your system should run fine. The MySQL support is new in Dharma so there isn't a Wiki article for it yet, but several people hereabouts are using MySQL so there should be no shortage of people to help.

You might consider using a NAS or some other form of server that you can put in the cupboard under the stairs or some other cubbyhole. The advantage of this is that it's available all the time so you don't have to remember to turn your main computer on whenever you want to watch a film. You can run MySQL on your server, and even run BitTorrent etc so it can do overnight downloads.

I've no experience of Android phones, but if it can use SMB shares that's an easy way to do it, or XBMC will act as a uPnP server.

JR